Does smoking kill brain cells?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by peta9, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grandtheftcow Registered Member

We'd need to be able to compare the intake of nicotine from smoke inhalation to the level used on the rats. You can't tell if the study was just seeing if nicotine can kill brain cells or if they were doing it as a comparison to regular human consumption.

I also find it amusing that Sandford says this study dispels the claim about better concentration when the study doesn't have anything to do with the triggered dopamine levels that bring about the increased concentration.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zyxoas Registered Senior Member

Yes, nicotine makes you more alert, and then homeostasis kicks in and ruins your day. That's how physical addiction works.

Have you seen an alcohol addict? What's that movie with the guy who falls in love with the prostitute? Did you notice how he "benefited" from alcohol since it relaxed his muscles, but the only reason why he had tremors was BECAUSE OF HEAVY ALCOHOL USE.

Generally, if you interfere with the body's chemistry, you will lose. If a drug causes a certain change, then withdrawal causes the opposite, which basically is the definition of addiction. Sometimes, homeostasis can cause adverse effects even while you're using a substance, such as how anabolic steroids gradually cause your testicles to shrink.

Say no to drugs, kids.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Donnal Registered Member

ok i put it out

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. steven4917332012 Registered Member

Hello everybody
    I've been reading this thread and i just want to sort out this mess.
    In recent years younger kids teenagers and adult have been exposed to different kinds of medication and that what they choose over cigarettes and other alternatives since they hear that all these substantiates are bad like weed.
    When people are exposed toward pills they suffer with mental issues and end up killing themselves.People who are exposed to cigarettes end up dieing but have a better life.The last thing is weed which doesn't harm people but on the other hand people who are stuck up and can't understand life then those people send them to jail which the people who smoke end up wasting there life.
    Look my point is everybody trying to get though the days of their life.......If it makes you feel better then keep on doing!Don't listen to these people because they are to stuck up to understand life pain!
    You got one life do what you have to ...to live a better life.
    Shoot for the stars and don't let anybody hold you back.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Welcome to the forum you might be a little late in joining in a 5 year old conversation, however such topics tend to raise responses.

Have a look around there is likely more topics on this subject in the forum (and a little more recent too), as I'll be shutting down this thread purely for it's age.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.