Does Size REALLY Matter?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by static76, Sep 12, 2003.

1. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

Does the size of one's bank account really matter in this age of materialism, or can we measure a person's worth through his integrity and actions. Is a lowly paid school teacher making $28,000, worth less to society than a wealthy CEO?

I ask this because it seems to be the way the standards of Western society are going.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I don't (or at least i hope) that most people don't think this way. Ideally, your pay should be determined by how useful and in demand you are. This seems to be a difficult thing to judge though.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. zagen Philophanian Registered Senior Member

Funny subject title...

It's different for everyone. Some ppl care about money, others don't. It might also be because of your location, like LA and NY ppl might care more for money, but it does depend more on the individual ppl. As for nationwide, i dunno if ppl are more concerned about money or not. It would be hard to tell.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

Very true, but I see this movement toward materialism as a trend throughout Western society. People seem to measure themselves more and more by the things they own, not the things they do. I don't see it as a LA/NY thing, but a worldwide issue.

8. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

I agree people view themselves that way (they feel it's a sign of their success), but I don't think people think of others that way.

9. spookz Banned Banned

materialism is just as important to the east as it is to the west. contrary to popular opinion, mystics do not define the average easterner

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Swear to god i need to put that on a shirt so the next time an unsuspecting moron doesn't ask if i practice Karma Sutra or do Yoga 23hrs a day.

Us people are just as greedy and value needless materials to define our status in society.

11. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

Sad but true: we should be the sum of our achievements and
    potential contributions to society but instead measured by our
    possessions. I'm worth nothing...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I believe that money is important in order to live in any society today. How much one needs in order to get by alright is subject to their needs and wants. If you are a greedy person then you , of course, will want all you can get from those who are in your society that have enough just to get by. When the greedy take everything from those who just earn enough to make it we have inflation and soon a depression in the economy. When just a few make all they want and share it with no one, they cause everyone to suffer.

Most ppl want enough to pay their bills, get new clothing from time to time, go out to eat once in awhile, feed their families, pay for shelter, pay for transpotation and save something in case of a problem or school for their children. That's what the majority of ppl want today. That would be enough to satisfy everyone that isn't greedy. It's when the greed sets in that people change and become less conscience of their fellow human beings living around them.

13. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

Exactly spookz.

I find yoga to be quite irritating, i don't have the patience for it, even though it's benefits are tremendous.

14. plasticwingsmelting Banned Banned

I want to be an English teacher.

15. Quigly ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

It seems that the more money you have the less time you have. For example, if you work your regular job and then go do a side job after work or find a hobby like buying/selling on ebay or stock market stuff, then you could have more money, but less time. Of course, if you have a second job then the same would equate.

So does your bank account matter. No, not neccesarily, as long as your family has enough to provide the essential needs. Health insurance, home, mode of transportation, food, and basic living needs. Now anything else is not needed. If you look at the birds, they do not worry about the newest parachute for their kid before they kick them out of the nest. I do think money is a good thing if used correctly. I have a goal of owning a youth center someday with all kinds of cool things for teenagers and college aged people. Like indoor paintball, sk8park, arcade, restaurant, internet cafe and games.... I would hope to see it as a good alternative to what they do now on weekends. Now I cannot accomplish that with no money. So it all depends on what your dream is. The bigger the dream, the more money it may take.

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

My dream is world peace and that only takes LOVE.

17. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

How useful and how in demand? Whatever happened to treating a human as an end in themselves?

18. Jessie Registered Senior Member

I agree with you. Also,some people see money as their only value of existence,...sigh...but always remember that we are not how much money we have in the bank. We are not the shoes we wear. We are not the contents of our wallet. The things we own, end up owing us.

19. Jessie Registered Senior Member

I think money is the most important and basic need to live,
    so it does matter whether you have enough money to support
    your daily expenses. After basic needs are fullfilled[food...],
    then money dosen't really matter I think, you can pursue other
    things/dream. If you like helping others, then do some voluntary work whatever..

20. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

Interesting

A quick answer, NO it doesn't matter in the grand sheme of things. Life has more to do with love than money, and money can't buy love. (I'm such a cliche)

But to judge someones worth to western society based on the size of their bank account is definately a factor. Economics tells us so. The one with more money spends more feeding the economy thus driving growth. More growth means a better standard of living for all. So the one with a bigger bank account is more valuable to society as a whole. Welcome to capitalism!

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The more you make , the more you want. It has been shown that as we make more income we spend at least twice as much as we earn. We spend on wants more than on needs.That's what causes the great debt many people have today.

22. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

My thoughts exactly. Most people seem to be caught in the trap of constantly expanding their expenses, even at the cost of financial stability. And half the stuff bought are useless items ,whose only purpose is for their personal status. Everyone seems to be caught in debt, from the minium wage worker making $20,000, the middle class dweller making $45,000, or the celebrity making seven figures a year.

23. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

I have avoided this thread because of the title
    another boring discusion,an insecurity recital

Did you write it that way to just get attention
    of course you did,sex is always the biggest convention

How funny it was, to see your opening remarks
    nothing to do with foreskin stretch marks

It is nice to have money,but I have learned one thing
    it is important,to look,and to keep searching

For the job you love,with all its posibility
    It is only this way, you will truly be happy

Never stop striving for the job just for you
    even if it takes,a decade or two
    Peace Out

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!