Does sciforums, need more rules?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Shadow1, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

the answer of what's life,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

loool

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

that would work

8. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

uuuh, you can spell right?
    spidergoat: s p i d e r g o a t
    in sciforums, when someone write something, he's username can be saw from the top of he's post, search in the posts below, in the 1 page, and you'll find them

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Aren't you just dying to find out what I wrote here? I could be mocking you right now. Hey, is that a real picture of you in your avatar? You look like a snowman made out of volcanic ash.

10. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Sorry, I've just found it. You're right.
    He has posted something.

Spidergoat, that was brilliant about the snowman.
    Oh, spidergoat can be so witty at times.

Ramadan Robot.

I. Have'nt. Had A. Drop. Of. Oil. All. Day.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Please be my friend. If you don't, I will be forced to introduce the music of Patti LaBelle to eastern Tunisia and drink the sweat produced collectively by the Kingston Trio during a leap year.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  12. Light Travelling It's a girl O lord in a flatbed Ford Registered Senior Member

Often the best defence against the corrupt, the dictators , the oppressors; is comedy, is mockery. And long may it prosper.

I would much rather my viewpoint be mocked than I be dragged away and tortured for it. Satirical comedy – the sign of a free society.

13. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

yeah, but, i didnt mean that kind of mockery,there's no one on earth that don't mock

, but i meant, more than mockory, with mocking, i meant more, insulting, and kinda of racism, off limit, that is bad, and that's what i meant about wht's in sciforums, everybudy mocke, mocking is funny,

and can fix things, but, i meant more as, more, as, kinda racism, for example, not respecting other people's beleifs even if it was stupid, for me, i do respect other beleifs, even that i think many are stupid and useless, anyway... i may not be good person to say what i meant so exactly, i'm not soo spesific and so good in english.

14. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

no, that's not called open-minded, on the contrary, that's a closed one, something stuck in it, maybe a frog jumping inside it.

15. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Lying as a pretense of respect

At some point, censoring ourselves because of that becomes an exercise in dishonesty.

There is only so long, for instance, that we might convince ourselves that another's failure to address certain aspects of a discussion, or apparent manipulation of someone else's words, result solely from innocent mistakes. And, after entertaining such innocence for a while, it becomes impossible to not wonder if maybe the problem is more deliberate.

And, of course, given enough time and repetition, one can only conclude such calculation.

To be certain, there will always be those who, upon being called out on their conduct, will pretend offense, or innocence, and insist there is no contrivance. But here, as in life, there comes a point at which people simply do not believe such excuses.

Should people, then, lie to one another in order to be polite?

16. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

dammit spider / geoff, you took all the good answers.

17. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I ate a lot of elan. Wasn't exactly a parade in the bathroom this morning.

18. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

What was that about Patti Labelle in Tunisia, spidergoat?
    Oh, that's good.

Ha Ha Ha!
    You want Shadow to be,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

I wish you could read this Shadow.
    It's really good.

19. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Would you say its okay to mock what someone believes or attempts to push as valid truth. If you don't agree with it?
    I might cite the case of creationism and the use to the flying spaghetti monster as a foil against the idea of teaching it as a factual subject in schools.
    Some religious types were really insulted by the notion of the FSM.
    But its still only mocking an idea/belief.

But its probably not okay however to mock someone's huge ugly head! No matter how repugnant it is:shrug:

20. Light Travelling It's a girl O lord in a flatbed Ford Registered Senior Member

Well I think the guide of our freedoms and that would include our freedom of speech would be; that we are free to do / say anything we like, so long as it doesn’t impede anybody else’s freedom to do the same.

21. Light Travelling It's a girl O lord in a flatbed Ford Registered Senior Member

I think we all do in our normal lives.. its called tact.

Up to a point, but there is no need to pretend someone hasn’t got a big head when they have. (If a politician has a big nose, I see nothing wrong with some satire on his big nose), it all comes down to freedom again, if the guy with the big ugly head cant leave his house cos the ridicule is so bad, then that impedes upon his freedom. An occasional joke about his head which he can laugh off and respond to in kind is OK.

22. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Yes.

A foil for that purpose might be different than mocking, but: yes.

Still fine. I've mocked the idea of the FSM as well; no one could be offended by that, but as a tool of rhetoric, it's fine. Mocking the numbers of killed in the Holocaust, as some on this forum do, would not be ok.

23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Lying for courtesy is unhealthy

Neurosis, in its proper context, represents the psychological tension that results from a conflict between our inner, instinctive selves and the demands of civilization.

Then again, ever hear the phrase, "Prozac nation"?

I would suggest there is a reason Americans are popping brain candy at such a high rate. And, yes, the civilized demands of dishonesty are part of this reason.

Lying for courtesy is, in the end, unhealthy. Perhaps it is a matter of degrees. Yes, it is civilized and proper to not call one's co-workers nigger, or filthy Jew, or bitch, or whatever. But, to the other, the idea that we owe some pretense of respectability to those who would exploit those civilized demands in order to con us?

To consider a common process at Sciforums: Start with the extreme example of a crack-crazed person with a gun. What courtesy do we owe him? That is, should we politely allow him to fire off rounds indiscriminately because we don't want to hurt his feelings? In such a case, the answer seems pretty clear: No. But little, if any, of what goes on around here bears implications of a similar magnitude. Thus, what of ideas, some of which can spread like a slow cancer, and if adopted harm us all?

We need not prohibit ideas or police people's thoughts, but neither should we be obliged to show infinite courtesy to diseased logic.

At Sciforums, one of the most common discourtesies is the straw man fallacy. I've just witnessed at least two threads in recent weeks that depended on this rudeness in order for one side of the debate to pretend to have a point. The bounds of courtesy can only be stretched so far before breaking, and if a bigot's feelings are hurt by the identification of his bigotry, frankly, I don't give a damn.

In the end, the backlash I see in such considerations of courtesy is that people are especially tired of being civilized. That is, the rewards are declining, so they figure, "Why bother?" And then, of course, when someone points out their rudeness, their feelings are hurt and they demand their dishonesty be treated with unnatural courtesy.

It's self-defeating insofar as it strips the utility of logical discourse. And therein lies a marker of the bounds of courtesy. At the point courtesy makes the process in which it occurs useless, one questions the necessity of that courtesy.