does life have a meaning?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Ronhrin, Aug 15, 2004.

1. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Skipping Stones:
    The biological explanation of life ("all we are just a bunch of carbon based molecules") is not the only possible explanation, and what is more, neither does it say that we must take it as the absolute explanation.

Being scientifc, it is the explanation most appealing to our reason, certainly, and as such, I think it is rational to accept it, and act on it when necessary (in medicine, sports, ...).

But to deem science as a *replacement* for religion -- I firmly believe this is wrong.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Yah, eating cookies!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kula (Memes enclosed) within Registered Senior Member

You're the messiah ! Lead me to the confectionary !

kula

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

The fact that we are composed of organic molecules IS the only explanation. Why? Because we have no other contradicting evidence.

There may be more to us than just that but why would u think it is not going to be scientific when every other explanation for everything in our universe sees to be scientific!

8. SkippingStones splunk! Registered Senior Member

We are made of molecules, that's science. But, I believe there is more than that.
    There IS contradicting evidence according to me. Of course, I can't logically prove it exists outside of my own imaginative thoughts. To believe the way you do would detract from the beauty of my reality.

9. SkippingStones splunk! Registered Senior Member

In a lot of ways, the search is the meaning. It's the path, not the destination.

10. water the sea Registered Senior Member

John, darling, you know how you feel for cats. And for me. Now how scientific is *that*?

11. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

its very scientific.

just its clouded at this point in time how it is.
    it will be clear soon enough.

12. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Do u ever find it strange that people who have believed that there was more to life, all throught the history of time, have never proven that there was more. There has never been any convincing evidence for supernatural activity anywhere in the world EVER.
    I believe that if this was any other subject, we would have dropped the idea long ago. However when it comes to the afterlife, GOD and meaning, humans really have a soft spot and become irrational creatures.

Long ago, since I was a kid, I stepped back from my subjectivity and realised this. I am a firm believer in evidence as the way to interpret things.

13. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

"Feelings" are very scientific Rosa! If u cannot understand why feelings evolved then fair enough.

This kind of stuff makes me wonder about my fellow humans sometimes! Its time to stop thinking about our feelings of love etc as evidence for the existance of God or the supernatural. There is absolutely nothing supernatural about love despite how wonderful it is.
    Rosa here has just shown what I think is the biggest barrier to us becoming a bit more objective about our universe.

14. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Naturally. I think maybe it's in our phyche. We don't like to think that after death, there's nothing. We don't like to think our existance is meaningless. We're here and we're gonna die. We don't want this to mean nothing.

So we make up this stuff about the afterlife and a being more powerful than ourselves. We want to believe it. Therefore, most of us do.

15. kula (Memes enclosed) within Registered Senior Member

A meaning does not have to be supernatural John, and as you say, there is no evidence that life has a meaning beyond existing, so the meaning could be quite simply, we exist to find ways in which to continue that existence one way or another.

If we are using evidence, then we can postulate that the earth wotnt last forever, that we need to physically evolve to survive in the future, we need to find ways of sustaining ourselves, possibly evolving other life forms to facilitate it etc. |That sounds meaningful to me

kula

16. SkippingStones splunk! Registered Senior Member

Usually, I'm just a cynical as you of supernatural activity but when I'm sitting under a tree on a beautiful afternoon and the breeze is just right, I can feel it. Maybe it's just my imagination of what I'd 'like' to perceive but I don't really care, it's the way I want to live and it makes me happy.

Maybe reason people attribute supernatural qualities to nature is because they want to feel more a part of it, that they want to be able to touch it with their heart, to love it. If we think of nature as just a bunch of molecules, it tends to lead to a sense of separation, that nature doesn't need or want our love.

17. water the sea Registered Senior Member

I think I know some of the ontogony of them, thank you, you have taught me that before.

I am *not* using feelings as "evidence for the existence of God or the supernatural"!
    I am *not* saying that there is something supernatural about love!

I am saying that describing love as [insert scientific definition] does not satisfy me. I cannot go to bed thinking love is [insert scientific definition] and be calm about it. If I would be satisfied with the scientific definition, I'd feel like a robot.

Objectivity. Please explain why it is important to be objective. (I'm not kidding, we can do this scientifically.)

18. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

LOL. No of course, but i think the "meaning" that a lot of people were talking about up until now DID have a supernatural nature!

19. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Believe me, it is

Actually, the reason we have such an affinity and emotion for nature is that we have evolved with it. For example, the sound of thunder and the colour of a sunset evoke very strong feelings within us. this is becase, all dow the million or more years we were evolving, these have been with us and they had to have some place in our genome. We associate thunder with fear or respect and this was a survival strategy.

I don't think it does. Thats another argument I never like. That people who realise that the universe IS just a bunch of atoms, cannot appreciate it or find the beauty in it. I know that when I admire something, it is just because I was hard-wired to admire it, but that doesn't make me feel any less enjoyment from it when it happens! I think I have moved passed the stage where I NEED a God to live a fairly happy life.

20. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I get that feeling too. I get it listening to Coldplay, myself. That feeling is addictive.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that feels this feeling!

21. duendy Registered Senior Member

i am guessing many of you here are experienced with hallucinogens?
    ok, those that are imagine this: you have ingested some delightful little substance and you are beginning to open up a bit more than usual.....ok?....you are looking enchantedly at a flower in the garden, say a passion flower....i find you , and ask you this:

"What is the MEANING of life?"

how do you imagine you would answer?

22. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Rosa, anything that cannot ever be explained by science is "supernatural". Now please tell me why it is so important that u abandon science when it comes to love? Think about the poor children who cannot feel love because of a birth defect. Would u actually bring research in this area to a halt just because u don't think science can explain it?

Come on Rosa

It is incredibly important to be objective. Ever since the first scientists decided to put away their feelings about religion, we have learned so much about our universe. We have reduced mortality and extended longevity way beyond what we could have anticipated. Being objective is being scientifically-minded and being that is the most important thing IMO.

23. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I'm not experienced with hallucinogens, but I will answer anyway.

I can guess that I'd be in a good mood if I'm looking enchantedly at a passion flower, so I'd say something gushy like "The meaning is to make people happy and to be happy"; and then, since I'm high and lonely, I'd say "Hug me!".

I can guess that I'm weird when I'm high.