does life have a meaning?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Ronhrin, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Ronhrin Registered Senior Member

I often make this question, and I just can't get a logical answer to that question, in the great picture life doens't have any meaning

we all know that we live to grow, we grow to reproduce and after we make our children grow we die, it's a neverending circle

we cannot choose not to be born and not to die
    but we surely can choose not to reproduce
    isn't that a "desing flaw"
    if our purpose is mere reprodution how can we have a choice in that matter?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SkippingStones splunk! Registered Senior Member

In East of Eden, John Steinbeck says there's only one story of life and we all live it. It is to look back on our life, just before we die, and say, "Did I do good or ill?" Was I good or evil?

Some say the purpose of life is to make a difference, to make an impact.
    I believe there is more to life than just reproducing. The idea that all we are just a bunch of carbon based molecules just doesn't cut it for me.

Hell, if we really knew what the meaning of life was, what would be the point of living?

Logical statements and definitions of the meaning of life always run into problems because life is so infinitely unique to each one of us. You have to find your own meaning, whatever that may be, and hope that it fits in loosely enough with the statis quo that you won't be lynched.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. duendy Registered Senior Member

yeah, liked that.....there are infinite meanings. troubly happenes when A status quo imposes a meaning and then that becomes the subject and we become the objects

the whole idea of us being here just for reproduction has a history. Patriarchy! where the babies and 'producers' mothers become the property of fathers. thus we have the Jdeic-christian doctrine caliming that sex should be soley for reproduction, or not done at all (christianity).......when we are oppressed we usually ask the question of 'what is the meaning of life' in a sad way. because the opression sucks the meaning OUT of life

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

there is no meaning. if you create a meaning then thats not a meaning. thats just an inserted preconception used to hide yourself from the truth that our lives are in fact meaningless. trying to find the meaning of life is like trying to read the label on the inside of a box.... assuming there actually is a label.

which there isnt.
    reproduction isnt a meaning... thats a purpose.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I believe life is whatever YOU make it to be. If YOU want to think that it means notheing , that's your decission. I like to thgink I've made a difference , somehow, in the way things are for myself as well as others. Going to college, getting a good job, being happy, helping others, and having peace of mind are some things I hold high on my list of priorities. Just spreading some love and kindness around are good things also to accomplish. Life has many meanings, all YOU have to do is find out what YOUR meaning is and you will be fullfilled as many people are.

9. SkippingStones splunk! Registered Senior Member

To say that our lives are meaningless implies that there is something that has meaning. So what is meaning then? It's a concept we've created and apply to ideas and conceptions.

You are stating an objective truth that no "meaning" exists. I guess this is true in a sense, because without humans, there are no human ideas, and so no meaning. But, there are humans and we create meaning. So, meaning exists on an entirely personal level and that makes your statement meaningless.
    :m:

10. Roman Banned Banned

Life is just a complex chemical reaction. All the things that make us human can be changed with drugs and chemicals. That's terribly trite, I know, awefully unsubstantiated too, but sort of mostly true. Life's chemical reaction is self-perpetuating, so in short, life's purpose is reproduction.

College isn't the meaning of life, nor is happiness, helping others, or peace of mind. They're all purposes to assist in reproduction. College is money in the bank, and money is security, and security is beneficial for genetic material.

The methods of living, for humans, have changed, but the basic instinct is still there: procreate, save your genes.

11. philocrazy Banned Banned

does life have a meaning?
    hmm easy!
    you, you are the meaning of your life
    i, i am the meaning of my life
    humanity is the meaning of its systems that dont work

Philosopher Philocrazy

12. Naomi [oxiglycodextrosium] Registered Senior Member

13. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

hee hee hee...!

It's true...

e. Slang. A sentence of imprisonment lasting till death.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Kenton Massey Registered Member

The question of weather life has a meaning is derived from our ability to recognize that death occures. The meaning to life is quite simply. The answer is live. Just live. We are not able to know from where we came short of written spiritual text and even with that the answers are not entirely clear as to why. We thus are not given anymore clear an indication short of spiritaul text as to what is beyond. One constant is that we came from something so must return to it or continue with its course. Given that please read the thread I wrote "Victoms of a Wrong Way". It eludes to our purpose and how life is complicated by our assertions as human beings.

Now follow this thinking:

You came from some where and are self aware.

You have this experance to exist in.

What do you do?

Life is something given by something

That something (God by christian, Supreme Truth by hindu, etc.) allowed for this time.

It is a gift and is intended to be enjoyed but respected.

Nothing profound is required by us. Just live.

You can do with it what you please, that is our purpose but the most enjoyment comes from living it balanced and with respect to its good design. I think many get it wrong and waste alot of it and power now exist among man to send out deceptive ideas take detract from the basic simple truth.

The key is recognizing that it is unique and good. It is simple. Respect it.

All spiritual directives, laws, etc. are not meant to confuse they are meant to show one the basic which is enjoy life and respect all other life. Life is a good thing.

All rituals, observances, worship, institutions, careers, are human assertion and not in line with the truth of life. They come from the tendancy of humans to control. Death alone teaches us that despite all ones gains it is not lasting. Those that oppose or abuse it create all the harms that exist.

Then we die

Then as sure and unknowingly as we came in we continue on.

15. kula (Memes enclosed) within Registered Senior Member

Live

kula

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There seems to be no final end state to life as a whole. It's forms are constantly changing. It does seem to be heading towards increasing complexity, interconnectedness, and the dissolving of boundries; the transcending of mediums- first water, then land, air, space and eventually mind and body. I think it's great that there is no obvious meaning, otherwise, we would get there, and then what? Life is a leap into the unknown. Your purpose isn't reproduction. Reproduction is life. Ask yourself why you need a meaning, no one asks what is the meaning of music (outside of specific lyrics) but we make it anyway.

17. kula (Memes enclosed) within Registered Senior Member

To encode our consciosness in the homogenous energy that may be the 'final' or finalish state of the universe and to encode it in such a way that preserves enough information to start the process again if the universe collapses.

Or to prevent it collapsing

I'm sure it has something to do with existance !

kula

18. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Being a <A HREF="http://www.pantheism.net/">pantheist</A>, I believe we weren't created by a higher being. We just popped up. Some may think this means there's no meaning to life. Maybe that's true. But that doesn't mean we can't "make up" a reason. Sorta like a goal, if ya will.

Here's what I like to think: The meaning of life is to touch the lives of others.

Everyone else is, of course, free to adopt this reason for themselves.

19. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

sumed up into two numbers "42" =P

20. philocrazy Banned Banned

what a stupid question to ask?
    ofcourse it does!
    there's more to it here --->..........................

Philosopher Philocrazy

21. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Why not? Think abut it carefully and deeply! I really hate when people just say they have this feeling that there must be more to life. But hey, if it helps u to live......

22. kula (Memes enclosed) within Registered Senior Member

Thats what I believe/believed as i'm not sure anymore. The thing that got me thinking is, that to pop up by chance, the amount of 'potential' for the universe to become many other things is incredible. Imagine the possiblities that could become manifest with so much potential energy and no space and time. But coincidentally, we get all these self referencing patterns.

If we did pop up by chance, then maybe the evolution of consciousness will require us to make the universe conscious and enable its continued existence.

theres another purpose !

kula

23. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

your can spend an entire life time searching to the meaning of life without finding or you can forget it and just live