Does intelligence correlate to moral character?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Magical Realist, Dec 21, 2014.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

You said "According to this evil is the lack of wisdom." God said that the acquisition of wisdom (specifically the knowledge of good vs bad) was evil, and condemned the first man and woman for acquiring it. So the Bible effectively says the opposite of what you claimed.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

There's a gap in there: is knowledge of good and evil, the usual translation, or good vs bad there, "wisdom"?

In addition to the implications of some passages in the Christian Bible, several schools of Buddhism, Taoism, some animist traditions, Western philosophers such as Nietzsche, et al, have firmly asserted otherwise.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Yes wisdom of good vs evil is conniving, either side is violent when they are suppose to be heavenly. Good vs evil is the undoing of the passive lover. Knowledge is okay, but good vs evil should be expelled from the imagination. All things are capeable and good. Hate is only the undoing of love, and ignorance is contstapated knowledge. Everything when whole is good.

Jason.Marshall likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

So someone who kills people who oppose him because he is unaware of the concept of good vs. evil is inherently better (more moral, better in the eyes of God) than someone who understands good vs evil, and refrains from killing because he feels it morally wrong?

8. kx000 Valued Senior Member

I'm a pacifist. No way is violence inherently better than compassion!

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

So you have the wisdom to tell good from evil. Does that make you conniving and violent? Or does that knowledge - that compassion is inherently better than violence - make you a better person?

10. kx000 Valued Senior Member

There is no good from evil, only good.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Many irredeemably evil people--murderers, despots, criminal masterminds, etc.--have very high intelligence. The "evil genius" is a meme.

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Kindness is more important than intelligence.
    I always admire people who are kinder than I am.