Does Hitler deserve respect?

Discussion in 'History' started by Norsefire, Jul 25, 2008.

?

1. Yes

43.3%
  2. No

56.7%
  1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Keep in mind that respect is not necessarily appreciation, adoration, admiration, etc

In terms of ability, the man was an absolute genius, and a superb leader. Extremely charismatic, intelligent, and very strong-willed. He grew up a poor boy and rised to lead the then-poor Germany to a superpower.

Of course, he also did horrific things. Beyond horrific.

But in terms of his sheer influence and accomplishment, do you think he deserves respect?

I would have to say, yes, some level of it.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Why do you bring this up ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

He was good at giving speeches that played on people's patriotism and fears. Would you say that a person who was good at lying was entited to respect? How about a person who was a pedophile, but was an absolute genius at kidnapping children? Respect for him too?

Keep in mind that "respect" is usually defined in this context as "high regard, esteem."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

He lead his country into destruction. He only had a forward button. He was a great manipulator. He deserves respect as a manipulator. Respect in the sense of taking something seriously, like certain very poisonous Australian spiders. One should respect how dangerous these are.

I also think that anyone who tries to formulate good qualities of Hitler tends to have a lot of anger at Jews. Whether they realize this is their motivation for bring ing the issue up or not.

8. superstring01 Moderator

Any person who accomplishes any great historical task, deserves some form of respect. I'm not talking the "wow, I really respect what the guy did" kind of respect, but the, "one has to respect a person's abilities in order to understand them" kind of respect.

~String

9. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Agreed.
    In my government book back in high school he was honored as one of histories greatest speakers of all time. And being a good speaker involves the talent of manipulation. If you're a bad at manipulating others then you're most likely a bad speaker. I listened to a speeches by Martin Luther King Jr., Ronald Reagan, Roosevelt, JFK, and Bill Clinton and found myself easily persuaded by what they were saying whether I agreed with it or not. Hitler's speeches I can't understand because their in German, but I'm sure his possessed the same qualities.

10. toltec Registered Senior Member

This depends whether you judge someone by deed (substance) or appearance.

In this sugary coated media soundbight culture he'd be the darling of rightwing media as he was in around the world in his day, only more so.

Is media whoredom worthy of respect now? If so he desrves it back then.

11. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Hitler deserves about as much respect as Barack Osama.

12. superstring01 Moderator

Hitler actually did something, and he -- at least -- told people what he wanted to do and gave them a plan before getting elected (that people didn't pay close enough attention was their fault as much as his).

Obama can't say as much.

~String

13. draqon Banned Banned

everyone deserves respect, any way you spin it, all should be forgiven.

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

If you mean respect as in take seriously, as you would an angry rottweiler, sure.

15. draqon Banned Banned

no I mean respect as in understanding and compassion as well as forgiveness and acceptance to inner circle of our hearts.

16. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

No. No no no no no.

17. draqon Banned Banned

If something is not given respect in the end, it will burn us up and we ourselves would not be able to forgive and respect ourselves.

18. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Not 'forgiving' Hitler his killing of many people, does not burn me at all.

19. draqon Banned Banned

it sure does not, but you are unable to understand something that has indeed occurred and in that aspect you are missing the truth, thus you are lying to yourself. Lie that will eventually hurt in you in your journey through life.

20. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

ngh, whatever.

21. draqon Banned Banned

I am just saying what you wish not to hear or wish not to understand whatever the case may be, silence of the lambs is more easier to apprehend than the truth that does not concern at all.
    Silence speaks through the wind whispering at the graves of those who wished not to hear and see.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  22. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

i think the only thing he desreves is a big fat hot iron bar up his ass. and that goes to all who secretly admire him too.

23. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

A+ Political science.

D- everything else. (cept charisma and public speaking - even then, he just fed rabid hounds, raw meat.)