Does H2o2 or Hydrogen Peroxide have effects on plants?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by eyng7623, Apr 22, 2011.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Like a source I cited above says, H2O2 can be beneficial for pot plants too, in the right dosage and in the right time intervals.

In plant nurseries they use all kinds of nasty stuff that make the plants look nice - for a while. When you buy a plant and give it the usual care with standard commercial fertilizers, they rarely remain as beautiful as the day they were bought ...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I gargle with it every day. I have for about 25 years now . Keeps the germs down in my mouth. I am pretty sure it absorbers into my body too . Glad I have my teeth and Glad my breath don't stink from decay. I am a believer .

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I have no problem with that - you're using it's antimicrobial property. As I said before, it's an antiseptic. It's the concept of actually drinking the stuff for some sort of supposed beneficial effect that I object to and call faddish quackery.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Yeah first time I did it I thought . Shit should I be doing this . This shit might be poison if I swallow it. I had a tooth ache and brushing with peroxide and baking soda was not getting it . So I did it in secret for many years. End of tooth aches and infections . Then I heard Dr, Den Adel say on his radio show if you got bad breath give a little swish with peroxide and that will do just as good as any mouth wash . So Hey Yeah! I came out of the closet!!

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

No, you're doing fine. The little bit you might accidentally swallow isn't going to hurt anything and the small effect it would have on the lining of your mouth is inconsequential.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

What I'm opposed to is just as I said - nonsense about it being good for you because it adds oxygen to your bloodstream, etc., etc. All of that is just sheer ignorance of basic chemistry and biology(and physiology) talking - the realm of uneducated individuals who claim to know something just because some fool said so. They're part of the same group of stupid people that keep the sellers of "magical" power and healing bracelets in business. <heavy sigh>

9. scishark Registered Member

depends on the concentration ofcourse

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. simpleton08 Newbie Registered Senior Member

I have been using the 3% hydrogen peroxide for mainly oral debriding.

I've tested it on plants as well. It seems to have some noticeable improvement.

Having extra oxygen/free radicals in one's bloodstream does not sound right though.

11. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

Dont mean to be a dick (well maybe a little ;-))

Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2 silly

12. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

Also, do not drink it, you will die. (obviously not from the tiny bit that sneaks by when you rinse with it, but don't take a real swig of it. Even if you don't die you will probably get crazy bad cramps)

13. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

No dude, H2O2 is actually a really strong oxident. Just stick your finger in the bottle for a minute (literally but take it out if it hurts or goes numb). Notice you're skin turning white? That's your body breaking down and its only at 3%. There is no such thing as food grade H2O2. That's like saying there is food grade H2SO4 (sulfuric acid). DO NOT EAT

14. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

Except that O is not the right kind. Your body needs O2, just O is that free radical thing that everyone says is bad for you. It is also uncontrollably reactive and will damage whatever it comes in contact with. Once again O bad, O2 good.

15. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

Sorry to spam, just don't want see any body fricking DIE because they drank disinfectant. Why don't you go swig down some lysol or bleach while your at it. Better yet mix ammonia and bleach in your mouth, then swallow, then take a few deep breaths.

16. greenboy Registered Senior Member

1 in 3 solution of H202 in plants act as a fertilizer. I use it on regular basis in all my plants and believe me is amazing.

17. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

18. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

Considering your one link that doesn't say the that H2O2 is bad ends in

"Please read full disclaimer here. Any statements about hydrogen peroxide , alternative medicine, whole foods, alternative cancer treatments, nutritional supplements, herbal remedy, skin care, colon cleanse, colon cancer, breast cancer, cancer treatments and others topics are for information only, and not medical advice."

Also considering that it sites no sources or studies or really anthing at all to make their claims valid. The site (sorry the last one on the list) tries to say that H2O2 can improve oxygen in the blood but this is just not true. H2O2 releases O or singlet oxygen which is damaging to your body (aka free radicle). You need O2 to breath which behaves differently than O.

However, I don't know enough about plant biology to know if it works for plants one way or another so give it shot for that! (disclamer: may destroy your plants)

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  19. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

???

"3 percent grade hydrogen peroxide is the type we find in pharmacies and grocery stores. Made primarily of 50 percent "super D peroxide" and diluted, it contains a variety of stabilizers like phenol, acetanilide, and sodium stancite. It is used mostly to disinfect wounds and treat skin rashes, and as an effective, inexpensive (although unpleasant tasting to some) mouthwash. This grade of hydrogen peroxide is also used around the house to freshen the bathroom and to wash fresh fruits and vegetables. While safe for those applications, 3 percent grade H2O2 should not be ingested."

underlining added for emphasis; quoted from the first link

Further into that first article are numerous references to medical experiments on internal usages of hydrogen peroxide. But yes, it gives the university and authors without giving the report, which the author of that article apparently leaves to the reader. Which is why I linked to some other reports showing hydrogen peroxide as a naturally occurring molecule in the human body.

Disclaimer: Don't drink/inject hydrogen peroxide at any concentration other than in consultation with your physician. You can sue him, not me if something goes wrong.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  20. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Please!!! That's a HIGHLY ignorant statement and I would have thought you would know MUCH better than to point to something like that!!!!!

There are literately dozens of "naturally occurring molecules" in the human body that are HARMFUL and must be disposed of. They are primarily the end products of metabolism, and H2O2 is one of them. Just what do you suppose your kidneys are good for, eh? And how long will you live if they both fail????

Just because something is there does NOT mean it is either GOOD or SAFE!! Sheesh!!!!

21. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

Take a chill pill. I was not suggesting that it is good for you at higher concentrations than occurs naturally. Rather, that it is present naturally at low dosages and not harmful. It is indeed, as per the subsequent articles, beneficial for you in that it assists graunlocytes in their functions, due to the oxidizing effect of hydrogen peroxide. But that 'bad' aspect of it (oxidizing potential) has been put to use in a 'good' way in the body.

The first article references therapeutic uses of hydrogen peroxide where it was good for the patient. There appears to be quite a bit of literature showing it can be beneficial in fighting disease. Again, don't try this on your own; consult with your doctor.

22. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Nope, not buying any of that. I suggest you try finding reputable resources that reference some actual studies having been done on the idiotic idea. And guess what? I'll bet you find nothing credible.

Oh... and I *am* chilled - always. It just bugs me a bit whenever I see someone posting nonsense - and potentially harmful disinformation - because it may cause the great undereducated masses to hurt themselves. If you can come back with the results of a major study done by a reputable research group, I'll be happy to eat my words. But I sure won't hold my breath waiting.

23. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

From the first link:

"HYDROGEN PEROXIDE IN MEDICINE

The first medical use of hydrogen peroxide was reported by I. N. Love, M.D., a consulting physician at the City Hospital in St. Louis, in the March 3, 1888, issue of the journal of the American Medical Association under the title "Peroxide of Hydrogen as a Remedial Agent." The article, based on a talk given to the St. Louis Medical Society the previous month, related Dr. Love's success in treating patients with a variety of diseases, including scarlet fever, diphtheria, nasal catarrh, acute coryza (head catarrh), whooping cough, asthma, hay fever, and tonsillitis. In these cases, treatment primarily involved administering a diluted solution of hydrogen peroxide into the nostrils with a syringe. Dr. Love commented: "From its very nature this agent should be a powerful antiseptic and a destroyer of microbes; anything which accomplishes oxidation as rapidly, if it can be applied safely, must be an excellent application to purulent surfaces for its cleansing effect." Dr. Love also documented the use of hydrogen peroxide in treating uterine cancer as a "cleanser, deodorizer and stimulator of healing.

Later that year at the Annual Meeting of the Medical Society of Georgia, P. R. Cortelyou, M.D., reported his clinical experience with hydrogen peroxide in treating disorders of the throat and nose. Dr. Cortelyou diluted hydrogen peroxide and used the fluid as a fine spray for treating people with chronic pharyngitis, rhinitis, cough, sore throat, tonsillitis, and diphtheria. In some cases, Dr. Cortelyou used hydrogen peroxide in combination with other medicines of the time, including "muriate of cocaine," and a solution made with iodine, potash, and glycerine. After treating a woman suffering from severe cough and high fever with this combination for four weeks, the doctor reported: "The throat was feeling so much better that the treatment was only given twice a week, and patient has kept in good condition all winter.

The first known use of intravenous hydrogen peroxide was reported by the British physician T. H. Oliver in 1920. In India the previous year he had treated twenty-five patients who were critically ill with influenzal pneumonia by injecting hydrogen peroxide directly into their veins. Compared to a typical death rate of over 80 percent for this disease, Oliver's patients had a mortality rate of only 48 percent. Although this method of hydrogen peroxide delivery can cause gas embolism, a condition that can obstruct blood vessels and lead to a stroke, apparently that did not occur in any of the patients treated.

In the United States, studies with hydrogen peroxide were conducted by the noted chemist and physician William Frederick Koch in the 1920s with cancer patients. Dr. Koch used a substance he called glyoxylide, which is believed to be the same oxygen found in hydrogen peroxide. Rather than using intravenous administration like Oliver, he preferred giving the substance intramuscularly.

While his treatments were successful, Dr. Koch was later sued by the United States Food and Drug Administration. Although acquitted, he decided to leave the United States and continue his research in Brazil. He died there in 1967.

In the early 1960s, major studies in the medical uses of hydrogen peroxide were conducted at the Baylor University Medical Center in Texas. In an early study involving cancer, researchers found that cells containing a high amount of oxygen responded more favorably to radiation therapy than ordinary cells. Before that study, hyperbaric oxygen was often used by physicians to oxygenate the cells; in a rather cumbersome and expensive method using a specially built oxygen chamber, oxygen was delivered under pressure greater than normal atmospheric pressure. However, the doctors at Baylor found that small amounts of hydrogen peroxide injected into a vein could achieve the same effect as hyperbaric oxygen at a much lower cost and with fewer adverse side effects.

The Baylor researchers also discovered that hydrogen peroxide has an energizing effect on the heart muscle that could be of great benefit to patients suffering heart attacks. Myocardial ischemia, or lack of oxygen to the heart muscle, was relieved with hydrogen peroxide. Writing in the journal Circulation, Dr. H. C. Urschel Jr., reported that ventricular fibrillation-a life-threatening condition involving extremely rapid, incomplete contractions of the ventricle area of the heart-was completely relieved through the intravenous administration of hydrogen peroxide.

The researchers at Baylor also studied the effect of intravenous hydrogen peroxide on the accumulation of plaque in the arteries. They found not only that hydrogen peroxide removed plaque buildup efficiently but also that its effects were long term. While those findings offered hope to individuals destined for expensive, dangerous, and often ineffective heart bypass operations, the Baylor studies were largely ignored by the medical establishment."

Here are some citations found elsewhere:

Oliver TH, CAntab BC, Murphy DV, Influenza[ pneumonia: the intravenous injection of hydrogen peroxide. Lancet 1920;1:432-433.

Finney JW, Jay BE, Race GJ, et at. Removal of cholesterol and other lipids from experimental animals and human atheromatous arteries by dilute hydrogen peroxide. Angiotogy 1966;17:223-228.

Urschel HC, Finney JW, Morale AR, et al. Cardiac resuscitation with hydrogen peroxide. Circ 1965;31 (suppl II);II-210.

Urschel HC, Finney JW, Balla GA, et al. Protestion of the ischemic heart with DMSO alone or with hydrogen peroxide. Ann NY Adad. Sci. 1967; 151:231-241.

Nathan CF, Cohn ZA Antitumor effects of hydrogen peroxide in vivo. J Exp Med 1981;154:1539-1553.

Manakata T, Semba U, Shibuya Y, et al. Induction of interferon-gamma production by human natural killer cells stimulated by hydrogen peroxide. J Immunol 1985;134(4):2449-2455.

Lebedev LV, levin AO, Romankova MP, et al. Regional oxygenation in the treatment of severe destructive forms of obliterating diseases of the extremity arteries. Vestn Khir 1984;132:85-88.

You might check with this group for more information:

http://gracermedicalgroup.com/resources/page_01.php

There is not a whole lot of research as of yet, but it appears to be a field with ongoing interest. Next time, do your own darn literature search. This took me about 20 minutes.