Does Gravity have a WaveLength ?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by river, May 31, 2020.

1. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Hi Paddo I hope you are well.

I don't want to muck up rivers thread but do have any more jokes?

The observatory is almost complete.
    How is the weather in Sydney..it's clear up here but cold..it was zero in the van last night.
    I have worked out the theory of everything but it's only a hypothesis...it all turns on forgetting about particles on the one hand and treating them as information carries only but on the other treating them like billiard balls to enable gravity to be modelled as a universal pressure. I would publish but given I would get the Noble Prize that would take me away from my astronomy and the cash would also create problems as I can't fit another mattress in the van under which to store it...as it is there is so much cash under the current one I need a ladder to get into bed.
    Again thanks for all your interesting and well informed posts ...informative in the science section and most entertaining in the other sections..religion particularly.

And I must also say to river..I hope you are well river..you are also very entertaining in your own way.

Alex

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river

In what way am I " entertaining " , Alex .

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Sure! You like Irish jokes?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I loved the three Stooges! But river is more like Bozo, Bozo the clown!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Your playful banter..
    Alex

8. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I like them..so many remind me of stories about my grandmother who was Irish and the interesting way she would put things.
    Alex

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

You're too kind Alex,

There was a family in Ireland of three close knit brothers...Paddy Mick and Sean...They would never have a drink unless the other two were present...drunk together, did everything together. One day Paddy was given a job in Australia and an offer he could not refuse. Sadly as they drunk together, Paddy told Mick and Sean the news...all were visibly upset and crying in their beers. Then Paddy came up with a brilliant idea. He said to the other two, whenever you lot get together for a drink, pretend I'm there and still order three beers...I'll do the same in Australia, always order three beers to keep our memory alive. They all agreed on this little plan.
    Finally Paddy left for Australia, found a job, settled down and headed for the local pub on the corner. Walked in one day and asked the bartender for three schooners. The bartender gave him the three beers and watched him take them all back to the table and drink all three. This went on day after day, and week after week, finally the bartender asked Paddy why he always ordered three beers and slowly drunk them all, He said Paddy, the last two get warm and we have plenty of beer on tap, so why order three all the time?
    Paddy relayed the story to the bartender, which the bartender accepted with a tear in his eye at such a close knit family. He informed the rest of the people that frequented the bar and that had got to know Paddy.

After a couple of months, Paddy walked into the bar one day and asked the bartender for two schooners. The bartender gave him his order in shock. He then proceeded to take up a collection of the regular drinkers in the bar, informing them that one of Paddy's brothers had died. With the money collected, he walked over to Paddy's table, and said, "Paddy the bar and your friends pass on our condolences for your loss and we collected this small offering to help out if needed". Paddy sat in his chair, looking stunned and bemused...then his eyes sparkled and he said, "No no you got it all wrong! My brothers are both OK, 'tis me, I've given up drinking!!!!

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  10. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Some folk need more kindness than others. Here is the ob. nearly done.

Alex

davewhite04 likes this.
  11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Hmmm, not bad, I didn't envisage it to be that big.

12. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

3.8 metre square. Makes the one I built to the left look tiny.
    The irony is...I bought it to house a 16 inch astrograph but I have more or less decided not to get a 16 inch because it has such a long focal length it may be beyond my ability to use...so I will just put my eight inch in there..probably go for a 12 inch which should be manageable...anyways it is a big step forward..plus I will bring up my small observatory from the city..only need...two more mounts, three more camera and two more computers...it's like golf clubs you need different units for different jobs.
    Alex

13. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I forgot ...and three more guide scopes or on axis guiders plus three more guide cameras...won't need the ladder to climb into bed as there won't be any cash left..maybe I better get that Noble Prize money after all.
    Alex

14. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

davewhite04 likes this.
  15. foghorn Valued Senior Member

Is the roof running on tiny wheels in that track?

16. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Yes.
    Alex

17. foghorn Valued Senior Member

Your so lucky to have all that equipment and set-up.
    I notice the shed is off the ground, why is that?
    Being your Aussie winter, what kind of temperatures do you get at night now?
    Does it get cold enough to stop you observing?
    Those high trees in the background, are they some kind of Eucalyptus tree?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  18. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Yes very very lucky but it is not without great effort and sacrifice ...my luck really comes from being able to accept less luxuries (and some necessities) to be able to put aside savings from my small income...plus gifts..the van was a gift..my car was a gift..I help people and it comes back as I need things..a blessed existence.
    That approach enabled it to be moved without difficulty and also save the expense of a concrete pad and site preparation..it can be placed on a slope with relative ease. It was particularly attractive to me because I don't like a concrete pad for observatories as they can hold heat and cause issues with the seeing cause gear will take longer to cool...
    In my caravan where I sleep, I noticed it was -1 C the other night so I expect it is that cold outside..It surprises me that it is so cold but it does not bother me ..my legs get very cold but I can't feel my legs much so it does not matter..in fact I like walking barefoot on the cold grass it is actually a pleasure as it makes my feet feel nice. I do dress to keep warm ok course...but with the astrophotograghy you set it running and go inside..I just lay on the bed and cover up and come here or watch history on YouTube.
    I think the trees are blue gum but they might be something similar but more special....plantation stuff...the previous owner put them in and although he did say what they were I took no notice as I did not see value I just wanted the house and was in a hurry..I needed to buy and in a big rush...the whole place is damn trees.
    I had to have a lot cut down to get my current view and it is going to cost a fortune to clear the logs and remove the stumps and make it pasture...which I need to do to reduce fire hazard.
    Thanks for your interest.
    Alex

foghorn, paddoboy and davewhite04 like this.
  19. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

If you like Greek mythology or just mythology in general I recommend this series:

I have seen the Zeus one, which is excellent but now it's banned from my country.

I've just watched the Minotaur and Zeus ones.

20. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Thanks I am watching it now although I will have to stop when I finish my cuppa and do some stuff with the new "research center"..those legs need some rocks and cement added in my view...so off to work I go..but I now have some planned viewing for my multiple rest periods.

Thanks again.

Alex

davewhite04 likes this.
  21. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

No problem Alex, I hope you're living your dream. Certainly looks cool, great pictures <3