Does Darwin's theory say that we'll evolve even further than we already have?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by science man, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Emil Valued Senior Member

Or wait until the sun begins to cool.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

The October Scientific American describes a recent evolutionary change. Within little more than 3,000 years, Tibetans have developed a genetic change that improves oxygen storage and transport in the blood, assisting with living at high altitude.

However, it is predictable that near future genetic change in humans will be due to deliberate genetic modification. I predict that, within 100 years, humans will be deliberately modifying the human genome to remove harmful genes. Within 200, we will be altering the genome of our prospective offspring to make them smarter, better looking, healthier, more athletic, longer lived etc.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Source: http://www.nature.com/news/2006/0603.../060306-8.html

Particularly relevant is the final paragraph with my emphasis added. It’s quite common to find internet discussions that suggest we have reached some sort of evolutionary end point due to our medicine and technology, but I’ve come across very few evolutionary biologists who subscribe to that idea.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. woowoo Registered Senior Member

as long as we have the technology we will manipulate our own genes and evolve into whatever we choose, we no longer need Darwin.

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yes we could take our evolution out of Darwinism and into pseudo-lamarckian mechanics: Millions of times faster far less suffering based then the natural Darwinian world.

9. How does that solve overpoulation?

10. I'm sure any who's into breasts including me is a huge fan of your logic whatever it may be.

11. Emil Valued Senior Member

The main problem of overpopulation is not food?

12. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

adaptation! here, you said just the right word, that's the same for me, i beelive that evolution, is adaptation, and not random changes

and wait till the global warming hits? you can even see today, how people who live in hot areas, can take teh heat better than the people wo live in cold areas, and the econtrary

13. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Interesting thread. IMO We are already the most adaptable species to date. You can find us form the arctic to the equator, and doing very nicely thank-you! We have filled our niche very successfully, perhaps too much so.

With no pressure for further adaptation, it is unlikely our evolution is going to occur an anything but a snails-pace. I think the next major evolutionary step is the further evolution of our brians, our intelligence and memory as these are commonly the most successful in society and will therefore successfully raise more successful offspring.

I could be wrong, and something else could occur, but I don't really see why it should..

Regards,

Ultra.

14. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

But, you are misunderstanding if you think evolution is not random. It is. Random mutation that allows SOME mutations to better survive (adapt) in the environment.

15. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

Some might say the dog is the most adaptable, or bacteria or...

:shrug:

16. ULTRA Realistically Surreal Registered Senior Member

Sure, especially some of the extremophile bacteria - they have been around since the beginning, and it's likely we owe our existence to them. I should have said the most successful mammals i guess.

Spontaneous mutations don't usually survive. They either die or are rejected by thier parents, but that is not to say it isn't possible. I could use a couple of extra arms sometimes!

17. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Well if we were in Thailand and you had a choice between offering expensive medications and treatments to a family of 7 whose throats clog every time they see a picture of a peanut, or instead providing that food and resources to people more strongly adapted to life in Thailand, and you didn't have enough food and resources for everyone, then clearly evolution goes faster when you let the peanut allergies die off, assuming all other abilities and disabilities are roughly equal.

18. oh ya ok now I see what you're saying. hmmm I think that would evolve some mutating because I don't think we can satisfy ourselves using photosynthesis in our current bodies.

19. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

or humans? or maybe, the kitchen bug, that black one, idk it's english name

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The most common adaptations are resistance to disease. Humans are very vulnerable to disease, since we live in close proximity, and we travel all around the world quickly. This kind of evolution is a certain part of our future.

21. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

well, i don't think it's very random, i mean, like you said, since it make changes and mutations to make a better survive, and not a worst survive

22. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

earth can feed us all, but, we are greedy, and selfish, we want everything for our selves, many countries are controlled because of their lones, and stay on that way, because the developed countries have the keep the others week, so it can controll the world economy. many countries, have alot and high % of fat people, over weight, tons of weeds and others, are thrown in the sea, if it's left and not selled, and not donated, think about it, with the right orgenizing, and with the fair and ecaul earth society, earth can feed us all, power us all, and live sunstainebly on it, with no worry about energy or food, or even water in most cases, but, that earth society, the ecaul, and the un-selfish, will never exist, so, millions will die from hunder everyday

23. Kennyc Registered Senior Member

You are wrong in your understanding.

There is no 'intent' in the mutations, they are totally random.

Some randomly allow better survival. Others cause death.

The ones that survive propagate into the future.