Does Consciousness Require Energy?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Reiku, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlminex Banned Banned

. . . . IMO . . . consciousness is a modulated holographic manifestation of brain activity . . . perhaps with some unobservable, undetectible attributes that may be grounded in metaphysical, spiritual . . . or EVEN external domains (YIKES!! . . . say the physicists!)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reiku Banned Banned

Actually....
    .......................... wow...... I am agreeing with you.

The mind is actually a holohgraphic representation. The reason why is because the imaginary eye catches a two dimensional object. Yet, we seem to see a through the lens of a three-dimensional phenomenon, thus one must speculate that some kind of analog to holographic representations are being implemented.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

That would be because consciousness requires several functions of the brain to be present and working; however, the frontal lobe has a larger role than most parts of the brain as it regulates consciousness (that's why when you interfere with it with anesthetic, your consciousness ceases to function). Either way, for any part of the brain to operate it requires energy, which takes me back to the assertion that the question is a tad silly.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Reiku Banned Banned

It does not make sense therefor that the singular experience of consciousness is built on more than one processor. It is like a computer programmed to print one single picture but requires 3 different printers to manage the different, yet, complimentary systems.

8. wlminex Banned Banned

. . . .h-h-h-m-m-m-m . . . kinda like a "parallel" processor system??

9. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't think I understand the source of your confusion; however, maybe it will help if you understand something in particular about the brain... the brain is a parallel processor. In fact it's a quantum computing processor because it uses superpositions to accomplish parallel processing. The presence of that parallel processing is hypothesized to give rise to the conscious experience as an epiphenomena.

10. Reiku Banned Banned

''fact it's a quantum computing processor because it uses superpositions to accomplish parallel processing.''

Then you must essentailly agree with my model.

By allowing quantum effects to dominate the mechanics of consciousness as well by the psi wave of possibilities \(\psi\) will allow you to dominate some expression of the mind as being a computer capable of superpositioning principles which give rise to choice itself between more than one possibility. The act of choice, or making a decision more accurately results in a collapse of the wave function, but is seperate to any wave function on the physical ''outside'', yet we can use one to measure consciousness no less.

11. Reiku Banned Banned

I have this model of mine written elsewhere here as well. I didn't just make it up

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't really know your model; however, my knowledge of neurology says that there isn't enough information to make any kind of viable model out of.

13. Reiku Banned Banned

Whilst you mignt be right, I'd not fear to remind you that we simply don't know. Just like the most challenging Agatha Christie novel, it might be a puzzle there, with all the ingredients yet not to obvious what the answers are.

14. wlminex Banned Banned

". . . Essentially agree with your model?" . . . . . let's not 'rush to such conclusions' prematurely . . I'm sure we can agree on some things, but I haven't really followed 'your model' arguments in great detail.

IMO . . . 'quantum effects' occur both inside and outside (the brain, mind) - kind of a quantum continuum - that pervades continuously both the 'observable' and the 'non-observable' milieu (e.g., particles, fields, etc.) of the universe . . . I'm not so sure that the wave function actually 'collapses', but it may certainly (only IMO) be modulated by quantum effects that are currently beyond our physical capabilities to "detect" . . . BTW: 'sticking my neck out here!' . . . . it seems (again IMO) intellectually (if not physically) feasible that such 'modulating quantum effects' might be in part 'non-directed' and/or in part 'directed' (OOPS! Getting a little too metaphysical for the thread topic here!).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  15. wlminex Banned Banned

Reiku . . . .visited Wiki . . . a good read . . . Thanks . . . already know and understand the (current interpretation) Casimir Effect (CE). I have some speculative ideas about how to better detect and to enhance the CE effect . . . but, not in a presentable form yet. . . . if they (ideas) appear viable, you can do the math and I will build the devices!

16. Reiku Banned Banned

First you'd need to tell me your idea to see if applying it to math can be done.

17. wlminex Banned Banned

. . . . basically . . . My preliminary, speculative ideas have to do with building an enhanced CE 'detector' using atomic or molecular mono-layers, in succession, utilizing alternating conductors and dielelectrics (kind of like a 'micro' or 'nano' capacitor structure) . . . cumulative CE (VP interactions) should be more pronounced.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  18. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

It evolved from a domino effect of my use of negative mass. My whole theory evolves from the last point that I reach.

19. Reiku Banned Banned

I enjoy theories with a merit in some scientific background. If your theory achieves this, then I welcome it. If it is just baseless assumptions, then what is the point?

A theory is no good based on just hunches. It needs scientific merit, even without a rigourous math base.

20. wlminex Banned Banned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.