Does Consciousness Require Energy?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Reiku, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reiku Banned Banned

Well thanks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That's quite a nice comment!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

From what I've seen of it, I won't understand much of it.

I do like some of the subjects you introduce to the forum, this being one of them. You wouldn't be back here at all if JamesR didn't think you had a good brain. I do too.

My advice, accept it or not, would be to speak more about ideas than mathematics, and when you do speak about mathematics, then say clearly which is your own and which belongs to other people. Your ideas sometimes stretch beyond your mathematical ability.
    (If you don't agree, let's not argue about it)

Let's hope in a year's time you are still here, and are beginning to understand why people had difficulties with you.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Reiku Banned Banned

No I completely agree, the greater part of my idea's extend way past my mathematical abilities... I couldn't argue with that.

I am staying away from the gov. section. I won't be in there again as it's getting up the mods backs. Thanks again.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Thinking about consciousness.
    Could it be the most efficient known use of energy.

All energy will eventually produce waste heat.
    But consciousness, and to a lesser extent any living thing, and below that, crystals and natural forms, will produce order in the meantime.
    Somehow, order seems to resist chaos.

8. Reiku Banned Banned

It might be interesting to note that what we call entropy is supposed to be a measure of disorder over an increasing amount of time. How strange then it seems from the frame of the human being, that when they look at the world around them, that what physics calls disorder is really quite an ordered reality around us... from stable star systems, to the general local world we deal with every day... if this is chaos in the eye's of entropy, then it must be a very ordered chaos from our own.

But as for efficiency and energy, maybe conscious is extremely efficient. I asked the question not long ago, is consciousness in a ground state of energy?

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

The thing with stars, Mister, is that even though they look more ordered,
    a beautiful blue or gold or red, and almost perfect spheres, their effect is to to increase entropy by releasing heat.
    A far larger amount of heat than they ever would have released as clouds of gas.
    The effect of life is to do the same, especially with us humans.
    Imagine how much entropy we generate by heating our homes, zipping around in motor cars etc.
    Nature seems to allow the Universe to borrow an increased amount of order temporarily and locally, so long as it is paid back an equivalent or greater amount of disorder later.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  10. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

And there the thread ended.

11. Reiku Banned Banned

Oh, not too premature!

12. Reiku Banned Banned

Ok, let us refine this to primal sense than those being educated.

Is consciousness a system which must have an energy, let us see some primitive answers. I don't care who answers this, I just want answers no matter what guise.

13. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

Consciousness requires energy, like a mole popping its head up to look around, then popping back down again.

14. Reiku Banned Banned

Ok, next?

15. Reiku Banned Banned

Don't be bound to wild idea's. I ask the mods to appreciate my concern here. I want to hear speculative idea's without being shoved in a place where it does not serve the ultimate purpose of my question.

If a mod sticks this in a place that appreciates speculations, you open this to extreem psuedoscience.

16. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

I told you I wrote a snowflake simulator, it showed where the energy for consciousness lies, and it showed how it works. It's a hole, particles can pop in, and out of it. I don't work on hunches.

17. Reiku Banned Banned

Not just you pincho, I want other's to contribute.

18. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Oh really? The program (or the program you may write) is based 100% on your hunches.

19. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Since consciousness requires a living being and living beings require energy to live, the answer is yes. But this is rather trivially obvious is it not?:shrug:

20. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

But that would imply that consciousness doesn't require energy as only the neurons firing requires energy, the phenomena of consciousness isn't the same as the phenomena of neurons firing.

21. wlminex Banned Banned

Ref: my last post on 'Is Stephen Hawking Right'

22. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

A brain requires energy to function and one of the brain's functions is consciousness. This is kind of a silly question.

23. Reiku Banned Banned

Well, no it's not, yet I explained this quite soon later on.

I said the reason why the question is important is because consciousness is not located on any one part of the brain, not even when you have a defined electrical signal. This has been known among scientists for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.