Does Chi exist ?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by IndianCurry2010, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Thanks Kenny

I am no stranger to intuition. I find it quite embarassing at times. I often have an intuition that something is wrong, but do not know why. Only later do I work out the real reason why I know. Then it is very clear how my subconscious mind reasoned it out. This also happens on these forum discussions. Someone writes something that I know is a load of total garbage, but I am not sure why. Later, when my mind works it through, it will seem obvious and simple.

Scientists have intuitions. The more highly trained and experienced the scientist, the better the intuitions. But they all come from data. A good intuition is just reasoning from good data at a subconscious level.

There is, of course, bad intuition as well. A bunch of researchers some years ago were working on how interviewers used their intuition to determine which candidates were good and which were bad. Rather to their horror, they discovered that intuitions closely followed prejudice, such as racial prejudice or anti-semitism. In these cases, the intuition used invalid data.

This is also a good reason to use scientific testing after hypothesis formation. Indeed, it is essential.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. woowoo Registered Senior Member

How long do you suppose we need to wait before most of what we believe
    today is replaced by some completely new paradigm, in the the same way
    the ideas of Copernicus or Newton overturned the way we think in their time? One
    hundred years, two hundred, nothing stands still, not even the way
    we understand our own condition and our place in the Universe. What
    we believe today is almost certainly not what we will believe tomorrow.
    So i believe we can both at least believe in that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Not quite.

New paradigms do not normally turn over the old. We still use Newton's physics in spite of the fact that Einstein's equations are more accurate.

Science is like building a skyscraper. Mostly, we work floor by floor. Occasionally we discover a few errors and have to remove a few bricks or a steel support. However, when one floor is complete, we work on the next.

Each new paradigm, like a new floor to the skyscraper, is supported by the old.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. whitebear Registered Member

Yes.
    The way I was convinced was after discussing this subject with my son and a friend of mine who seems to be a chi gung master, son borrowed a heat detector from the fire station. He directed the heat detector that has a viewing screen at a wet rag on the counter top. My friend began focusing chi, as he calls it, at the rag. Within seconds the heat detector show increasing heat from the rag and within a minute the darn thing was registering over 200 degrees. That is when I told son to get the rag off my counter top before friend sets the house on fire.
    Beyond that he said the chi energy is for healing. I don't know. I have nothing to heal... yet. But I think I'll be glad to have friend around when I do.
    It's not just some parlor trick. People are always coming to him. Sometimes once or twice, sometimes 6 to 8 times. But after they leave they are just not the same. They claim to be much better.

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Go and do some Qi-gong it wont take long to find out.

Peace.

9. whitebear Registered Member

And what is your personal experience with qi gong?

10. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Direct Student Of Sifu Shi Yanzi and the Abbots of The Only Shaolin Temple In Europe.

over 15 years Personal training and mastery In Taijiquan and Qi-gong. Mastery Of Basic Iron fist and steel Jacket. Mastery Of All Lohan Forms.

Peace.

11. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

Whitebear

Bullshit, bullshit and more bullshit.
    Please do not tell lies.

The retired stage magician James Randi has had his million dollar prize available to anyone who could demonstrate any psychic ability, fully available for years.
    http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html
    Your fictional friend who can use chi to heat rags never turned up. Nor did anyone else. If chi or other magic existed, that million dollars would have been claimed years ago.

Again, I cry bullshit.

12. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Burning rags and havin super powers isn't part of Qi-Gong. :bugeye:

peace.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Did any of this involve any heavy blows to the head?

14. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Hmm...does ch'i exist?
    *shrug*
    I dunno...certainly can't pick it up in a bucket...
    I'd like to know if it's useful...

I know I once felt a very strong subjective burning sensation in my fingertips when I did ta'i ch'i walking, and sweat poured off me in buckets. It had to have been one of the more interesting altered states I've achieved.

But anecdotes do not data make.

15. John99 Banned Banned

Its all in your head.

16. Emil Valued Senior Member

Yep, but is emptied of force.