Does anyone golf?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by cato, Jun 25, 2005.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I tried it once a long time ago but found out stuff that made me leave the game. I really didn't realize the expenses involved such as the country club fees to join up every year. Where I went they wanted over $2,000.00 US per year to play golf at their country club. The amount of fertilizer they used polluted the lakes that were adjacent to the country club. You had to use a golf cart so that you would be able to play faster to make the roundgo quickly which cost over 20.00 US. You had to pay a start time fee to insure that you would be there at a designated time to play your round. You had to play with at least 3 other people so that foursomes were the norm even if you didn't want others with you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sauce We're Living To Die Registered Senior Member

Ya, consider my dad made me go with him... I forgot about the expensives. Really, I just don't like it though, because my dad ruined it for me. He tried to get me to do everything perfect when playing golf. So it just got less fun, and then he made me take golfing classes (which I quit after like, 3 weeks

) and then just... ya. Its fun every now and then, as long as its still fun.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

no, with the slice I only go like 200. but when I hit it straight I can get over 300.

p.s. I think my grip is ok. moreover, I have gone to 3 different martial arts schools, now that is hard to get used to. if I can get used to a different martial art, I am sure a golf grip would not be too bad.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

p.s. does anyone know how to get rid of a hook to the right? a lot of my drives make a half parabola kind of thing.

8. Argon Registered Member

I Love the Game,, been playing since I was 9yo, sorry I left it for a while during the 70's and early 80's... I had an Uncle on the Pro Tour in the late 50's and early 60's.. Other Uncles were quite good and Loved the game as well. I recall seeing the ball leave the tee with a whistle after the smack and take a tragetory that was amazing..

The Key to curing a hook is recognizing the cause. If you are smashing the ball as you describe, 300 yards is a smash, your left arm is closing the face of the club as you connect, ie. turning the top of the head to the left, as you bring in your follow thru. If a hook is consistant then you might try to open the face of the Driver to the right at the top of your approach. Meaning that when you sit silent at the ball, and you want to square your club face to your direction, adjust the club face more to the right, much like this slash mark,, /////,, that way when you connect with the ball it will compensate for your left arm closing the club face and the direction will propell the ball in a straighter line... Hooks and slices are an advantagious understanding of the game as much as english is to Billiards.. The comparison is quite significant..

For some reason, my long range club is a 3 wood and I find that I get a better line from the tee with a 3 or 4,,, I also chip with a 7 iron more often than a chipping wedge unless I need the height to get over an obstacle, sand trap or water hazard. You may smash a #1Driver, but you also might find that you can achieve a bit more control with a wood that has a higher trajectory.

Consistancy is the Name of the Game, That is why there is so much money that is paid out to the Winners,,, hehehehe... Good Luck,, and have some Fun out there,,

9. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

thanks, good tips.

10. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

yeah, I went to the range today, and I was more consistent with the 3. however, I would like to learn to control my "killer whale" 9-degree driver. I would love to be consistently over 300, that would be awesome.

I was still curving them to the right with my 1W, but I think your advise helped some.

11. Argon Registered Member

All righty then,,, Your interest in distance is an aspect of the long game, you mentioned that you were playing the Par 3's right now, and some of those are a great learning tool. While a killer drive from the tee, while playing a game is significant, a chip and putt might make the hole closer to birdie.The Key to success in golf. What is your Goal?

12. Argon Registered Member

Then you are still pulling your left shoulder as you drive through... your head/chin is moving ahead of the ball...

13. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

hmmm, ok, I will try that tomorrow. the driving range is like 100+ balls for $8, so I can practice a lot =].

what do you mean pulling? what direction should I not be pulling my sholder? back?

14. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I went to the range today. it started out great! my first hit went about 270 yards! I think I got a few past 300, but its hard to tell at the range I go to, they only mark out to 250. however, there is a tree at about 260 that I hit a few times.

overall I did better than normal, but as time went on it got gradually worse, probably because it was a million degrees out there. I tried a new grip I found on the net. I like it, you interlock your right pinkie with your left index finger, it felt comfortable.