Does anyone golf?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by cato, Jun 25, 2005.

1. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I have recently gone golfing and found it quite fun. I then went with my friend (the same one that turned Christian, if anyone read that thread) to a driving range, I am a bit inconsistent, but I put a couple over 300 yards. it was great fun.

anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew what the most important clubs were. I can find cheap clubs, but not in any kind of a set. so if anyone knows what I should get, I'll keep my eyes open for them.

I would guess:
    driver (got it. its called a killer whale =] )
    putter (duh)
    7-iron (most common club)
    pitching wedge (also common)

what else should I get? do you think I should get another wood? like a 5?
    remember, I am just a beginner. in fact, I have never player anything but a par 3 course.

any help would be great, thanks.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sauce We're Living To Die Registered Senior Member

I've played golf before. Personally, I find it boring, though it can be fun with good friends. Gives time to talk, relax, and I love the little carts

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

My opinion is to get a starter set, don't go to cheap, but don't go expensive (in case you change your mind.) If you think you may continue playing golf, you may want to try out differnent clubs, and see what you hit best with, and maybe concentrate on getting those clubs. Good luck with golf

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

I had too, so I hate it.

My dad used to make me play golf, I was a ten year old kid. He had a friend who's son played golf, and wanted me to follow the same footsteps. I developed hate for the game. I don't play golf, Tennis anyone?

Godless

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. rob k Registered Senior Member

On a par three course, you shouldn't need a driver. I occasionally go to a local pitch and putt where every hole is a par three and they supply a putter, sand wedge, pitcher and a 9 iron.

Golf can be very enjoyable, but also extremely frustrating!

This web-site offers lots of help with golf clubs and rules etc.

http://www.golfonline.com/golfonline

8. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I know that. its like 100yards to the hole, I drive a ball 200-300yards =]. I was thinking of moving up to the next level though.

p.s that site is not very helpful.

9. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

Does mini golfing count???

10. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

no, mini golf does not count, because I am asking about which clubs to buy. you only need one club in mini golf.

11. Frank King Banned Banned

i love golf, it is the only true game th=at you are playing yourself in and is not all about strength

12. Jeremirroer probably smarter than you... Registered Senior Member

What about darts?

or Solitaire?

13. Frank King Banned Banned

out door game i do apologies for not putting that in although i really do think you are grasping for straws jolly

14. Jeremirroer probably smarter than you... Registered Senior Member

I believe it is "grasping AT straws" not "grasping for straws".

What about snowboarding or skiing. That really is just about testing your own limits.

or spear fishing?

or boomerang throwing?

or horse riding?

15. Frank King Banned Banned

strength, strength and more strength, are you some sort of strong girl or something

16. Jeremirroer probably smarter than you... Registered Senior Member

you didn't say that you didn't use strength. you said it was not all about strength. Most if not all of those are about skill primarily. spear fishing hardly requires strength.

Who do you think can hit a ball further in golf?

Men or women?

Children or adults?

Clearly strength is involved in golf.

17. Frank King Banned Banned

i think you have missed the train to no one gives a fuck what you have to say jolly rodger

18. Jeremirroer probably smarter than you... Registered Senior Member

what the heck is your problem?

grow a brain.

19. Frank King Banned Banned

have some respect for once. There is nothing cool about abuseing everyone you encounter

20. TheAcridApe Mt. Monkey Resident Registered Senior Member

I usually only golf on the driving range and attempt to hit the ball pick up guy. Also to try to hit it as far as I possibly can. That is fun. My buddy hit a goose once and we felt really bad. But it flew away.

21. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

yeah, I smashed a few out about 300 yeards, that was cool. but there was no ball pickup guy, so I could not hit him.

22. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I got some clubs.
    -putter
    -3I
    -5I
    -7I
    -9I
    -1W
    -3W
    -5W

I think that is it, they are out in my trunk. I forget, but all together I spent exactly $30 on them (including a bag). I still need some wedges, but I think it is a good start, I can always use my 9 instead of a PW.

23. thecollage Registered Senior Member

yeah i golf. you really should start off with the fundamentals. i dont care what clubs you have. all i care about is your grip and you should too. if your grip is wrong then you will develop a bad habits. after a while of this nonsense you will have to spend all this time trying to correct your grip and become comfortable with it all over again.

practice your grip and get it straight.

then go to the range and hit the ball. if you are hitting a ball 300 with a slice you are either full of shit or hitting the fuck out of the thing. if you correct that then you could drive 350 or further. if you can do that then you will do pretty well getting out of the box.

now go practice your grip.