Does anyone else feel like this?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Norsefire, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

This has to do whenver I eat anything really.

For some reason, whenever I eat anything (except in Syria), I always feel like I'm eating just a bunch of nasty chemicals

I never get the feeling that I'm eating fresh, untampered meat. Even when I eat fruit, I get the feeling that there's alot of chemicals and junk thrown in

And everything is just so filled with artificial stuff, it's disgusting.

Why can't we eat fresh food? I never feel like anything is 100% natural anymore, not even salads

For instance, the chicken nuggets at McDonald's, I actually felt like I was eating plastic!

Why can't we have FRESH food anymore!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

Norsefire you should not eat that which is stereotypical in a country as its food. Because media controls stereotype...whereas reality of what people actually eat is very different. I dont go to McDonalds, I dont eat fried food, I eat fresh food...I drink kefir, I eat yogurt without any additives, I eat sandwiches with freshly cooked fish, lettuce, tomatoes cooked this same day.

The problem here Norsefire is...are you that poor that you cannot afford the right food?
    If yes...than there is no choice for you but to starve and choose food wisely.
    If no...than you must seek to find grocery stores which offer products to a wide variety of audience. Choose healthy, choose omega 3 products, probiotic food, fresh veggies and fresh fruits, water from springs, dried cranberries without any additives. Choose visely, look behind the package and see the fat%...calories content...vitamin concentration. Make a list of what your body needs.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Not unless I eat out. At home I go to a fresh bakery, a fresh butcher and get daily fresh produce. Although, frankly, the latter is much worse in Montreal (where I lived) than Toronto (where I grew up). Though it's helped by a co-op the university runs that brings in fresh, organic produce every so often for us to buy.

Here in China, the food is just different. It's hard to explain.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

do they really have cooked dogs, rats, and bunch?

And how is that food on liver?

8. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Yes they do have dog, rat and such. You can buy an entire dog, sans la tete, in the local grocery store. However, it is unusual to see it listed in a restaurant. Generally, you will be served dog without being aware it is dog, though this even is uncommon in the province I live in. Rat and various other curious meats are more common than dog. What's more interesting is the parts of each animal they do eat - I have just for my first time tried both eye of fish and duck's brain. The latter was significantly more tasty.

My liver seems to be holding up just fine.

9. maxg Registered Senior Member

What's wrong with eating chemicals. Personally I like McDonald's shakes since I'm lactose intolerant and they don't seem to contain any milk products (I believe they use seaweed in them). Just stay away from the solyent green.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, I agree. I have no problem eating chemicals and preservatives.

11. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

alot of older carribean people eat fried fish eyes, personaly i dont like it much. i dont see why western people are always a little shocked or disgusted by the chinese eating dog or cat meat, its just another animal. we eat plenty of meat in the west so would be complete hypocrites to say anything bad about eating cats or dogs.

what does duck brain taste like?, im guessing its a small portion considering the size of a ducks little head. i usualy buy whole ducks for roasting but i always chop off the head and throw it away, is it worth keeping then?.

peace.

12. Why? Registered Senior Member

Everything is made of chemicals. Your problem is how you look at things. Natural foods vs. Man made foods. What's the difference? So long as it doesn't give you cancer, it all comes out looking the same way doesn't it?

13. Tyler Registered Senior Member

The aversion to dog and cat meat is because they're pets, it's that simple. They show a greater likeness to human beings than does a cow or a chicken. Of course, pigs show a similar level of intelligence and so that can only properly be explained by the fact that most Westerners have never really been in close contact with pigs. It's not really an objective ethical analysis, I just would prefer not to eat dogs because I love dogs so darn much. That said, if it's put in front of me, I will try it. I don't believe in turning down new experiences, and I don't believe it is possible to understand a culture until you attempt to live as it lives. So, I will try whatever food* is put in front of me.

I can't say I have a truly objective sense of the taste of duck brain, as the duck itself was highly marinated. And so, the brain also had a sharp taste of the delicious and spicey marinade. That said, what I could decipher of the taste of the brain itself was actually quite good. It's very hard to describe; sort of rubbery but not in an unpleasant way at all. It was a bit chewy and had a sort of softer inside. If you're already throwing out the entire head, I would not worry too much. I tried other parts of the cranium, and all in all they were not very good, not nearly as much so as the brain - which yes, is a very tiny piece. Perhaps it is something to try simply so that you can know that you've tried. For my part, I will continue to eat the brain whenever the head is served to me.

-----------------

* I must admitt of a certain weakness; I highly doubt my capacity to eat testicles, no matter in which country I reside. Outside of this I am quite certain I will try anything, but I think I draw the line at testicles. Of course, I will not truly know until they are put in front of me.

14. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yeah i guess it just comes down to the way we interact with animals, but the chinese also keep cats and dogs as pets. my best friend is from hong kong (his dads side lives there), they own a bit of land and have plenty of dogs and cats, but still dont mind seeing dogs skinned and strung up in the windows. in the wet markets you see hundreds of animals slaughtered on site fresh for you to take home, the little kids have seen animals being killed every day including cats dogs rats, chickens etc etc, so i guess they are immune to feeling sorry for them.

with the whole testicle thing i agree, i just couldent eat balls for dinner. i have seen people eat them though and it looks nasty, they are hard to chew , very tough. and once you bite through the juices pour out into your mouth. and sometimes dribble down your chin, wich is enough for me to say no thanks i dont want any.

peace.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Avoid McDonald's.
    I think where fruit is concerned it's more your feeling than actual 'chemicals' that makes it taste 'un-fresh'.

16. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i always cook from fresh (unless i am out for the day but then i am careful about what i buy) i dont think buying fresh vegetables are more expensive than frozen veg, and i always have fruit in the house

17. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

but enmos is right avoid mccdonalds, they are full of crap.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I usually buy organic vegetables and meat. Most products are shipped long distances, and are designed for the journey, not just taste and health. It would help if you go to farmer's markets and only buy local, natural stuff.

19. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i dont know why but when you buy vegetables from a local farm they always taste better.

20. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

But I mean I FEEL like I'm eating man made shit, even if I'm eating ANYTHING!

It's just disgusting!

Even "fresh" beef, they probably have genetically altered cows or something.

What happened to the good ol' days of fresh, same day made food?

21. leopold Valued Senior Member

there are only a few ways to get fresh food anymore.
    one is to grow your own, which is a time consuming, and sometimes back breaking, process.
    some fruits can take years to start producing. the good news is that once they start, you will get a crop every year.

another way is to buy from local farmers. this route can save you money, time, and energy. its only drawback is that you cannot get out of season produce.

i do know what you mean about fresh food.
    i purchased some tomatoes from my local store the other day.
    they were nice and firm and red.
    i got them home and proceeded to fix a BLT with them.
    the tomatoes had a slight, but distinct, fish type taste/ odor to them.
    yes, i do indeed sympathize.

22. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I mean fresh as in 100% natural. No extra gunk, just plain natural food.

23. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Did you grow up in Syira? If so, then you probably associate the taste of Syrian grown food as being 'natural' because it's what your youngest mind knew.