Doctors Group: AAP conflict of interest hampers honest circumcision policy

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by GenitalIntegrityNow, Jun 4, 2008.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I can attest to the fact that local anesthesis is used. It is an outpatient procedure and was frequently conducted in the hospital I worked at in KSA. I've seen how circumcisions are done.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Different debate alright. Its a fetus, I've seen those too, post abortion. The forceps are a good indicator. They are used to pull out the kid.
    http://images.google.com/images?q=2...US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

http://www.urotoday.com/42/browse_categories/erectile_dysfunction_ed/finetouch_pressure_thresholds_in_the_adult_penis.html

A new study in the British Journal of Urology International shows that men with normal, intact penises enjoy more sexual sensitivity — as much as four times more — than those who have been circumcised. Circumcising slices off more of a male's sensitivity than is normally present in all ten fingertips.

(Source)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'll read the study later, but my ex was circumcised and he wasn't missing out on anything.

Hmm a lower threshold implies more pleasure? Sounds more like delayed gratification. It would certainly explain his tendency for all nighters.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Again you are being emotive and irrational. Removal of a breast is not comparable to removing a foreskin.

8. Bells Staff Member

That's the thing though, they do not significantly or greatly reduce the chances of contracting cancer, STD's or UTI's. Girls have a higher incidence of UTI's than boys, be they circumcised or not.

AS for STD's, this report gives even more countering evidence against it's level of protection.

As for penile cancer, the cancer council have basically denounced the claims by stating that mortality from circumcisions and its related complications could actually be similar to that of penile cancer (again, one of the rarest forms of cancer).

Removing your breasts would reduce your chances of contracting breast cancer. Are you going to take such a drastic step? How would you feel if that decision was taken out of your hands completely? That you had no right to consent or refuse the procedure? Removing your cervix and having a full hysterectomy also reduces your chances of contracting cervical cancer. Now both breast and cervical cancer, as well as ovarian cancer are more prevalent. Yet we do not take such drastic measures. Prostate cancer is also more prevalent in society than penile cancer. Why don't we remove the male prostate as a preventative measure? The same applies to testicular cancer, which is actually more common than penile cancer. Should baby boys have their testicles removed as a preventative measure?

This is an emotive issue.

I could comprehend if there was a risk later on to the child. A valid risk. But none of the research is definitive enough to warrant taking such drastic steps with another person's body. And yes, a newborn baby boy is a separate individual with rights over his own body.

If the benefits were so great, circumcisions would be mandatory. But they are not. On the contrary, many doctors and hospitals in countries outside of the US are refusing to perform the procedure for non-medical grounds. Why do you think that is Sam?

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Many doctors also recommend it. Why is that do you think? Many doctors who were anti-circumcision have also changed their minds over it. It has been recommended by international health organisations as an acceptable procedure for reducing incidence of disease. Why is that do you think?

I find most of your arguments to be emotive and you seem to be willing to ignore the numbers of children and men who are spared simply due to emotional reasons. Yet those emotional reasons are curiously absent when its a womans right to kill her child by vacuuming off his arms and legs from his body are concerned. Sounds rather hypocritical to me.

As I've stated before, I am not an advocate of infant circumcision myself. But unless I see clear evidence that the reduction in UTIs from 20,000 to 2000, STDs by 50% and penile cancer in 49, 990 of the 50,000 diagnosed cases are all incidental, I do not see a reason to impose my views in this matter. Regardless of how low you consider those numbers to be.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

As far as I can see, there is no convincing evidence that circumcision is beneficial. Certainly, it is not necessary.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

http://www.courtchallenge.com/international/WHO1.html

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Bells:

I noticed you deleted the image of the aborted fetus, I find it strange that you would introduce such bias, by deleting the image of a procedure you support, while retaining that of a procedure you do not support. There are plenty of websites with fetal abortion products that show the relative state of fetuses post abortion, which are much more horrific than any slicing and dicing for circumcision.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Do you disagree with the international health organisations that recommend it? Are they mistaken?

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

SAM that could well be because this debate is not about abortion. If you want to debate that make a new thread and you can post your pic, im sure bells or james (whichever deleted it) wouldnt delete it if it wasnt so far off topic.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It was a response to Bells picture, which she claims shows the horrors of circumcision. And yet, the horrors of abortion are worse. It was a comparison of horrors re: the acceptability level of a horror.

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

SAM i could post a pic of the after math of the bali bombings which would show that islamic terriousm is worse than abortion. Still wouldnt make it an less of topic. Now if you would like to look up i posted a huge slab of doctors saying that the risks out weigh the benifits. So would you like to actually debate the topic or would you to concide you lost and this off topic chatter is simply because you cant surport your statement

17. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

The only real problem I actually have with circumcision is that it is done on a nonconsenting party for nonmedical reasons. I believe almost all doctors refuse to do female circumcisions for the same reasons. I think that if an adult or at least older child make an informed choice for themselves. My mom let me do it when I decided to pierce my ears and I'm very glad she did. Its just the respect of letting one live their own life and choose what they want for themselves wether it be political, mental, or physical, it really means a lot to me as an individual.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I've already supported all my statements.

There is an equal list of doctors who recommend it.
    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gDs4HffwNX3CjDJFL9wbQ2-kXMsgD90S4GRO0
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...best-weapon-in-fight-against-aids-824587.html

Just to give two.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200805141130.html

Or three.

If you can show me where Islamic terrorism is an elective procedure undertaken by parents for their infants, I will be pleased to argue its relative merits versus circumcision.

19. Bells Staff Member

Clear evidence?

Have you failed to take notice of the problems and faults in the studies that brought about such figures?

UTI's would be reduced even more without circumcision if mothers breastfed and took care of their son's intact penis by never retracting the foreskin. But doctors in the past, during the time the study you sited which gave the drastic figure, were also found to be advising mothers to pull the foreskin back to clean underneath it. Baby girls have a higher incidence of UTI's. So why is female circumcision illegal?

As for STD's, study after study have found that while the reduction in possible transmission in some STD's may be a factor, STD's would spread a hell of a lot less if a condom was used instead. In fact, some studies have shown that circumcision could increase the risk of catching and transmitting some forms of STD's, such as chlamydia.

In South Africa, mean yearly HIV incidence and net reproduction rate of the epidemic were not lower in provinces with higher levels of male circumcision. For thirteen other countries where Demographic and Health Survey data were available, male HIV prevalence in circumcised and non-circumcised groups was compared. A meta-analysis of that data, contrasting male HIV seroprevalence according to circumcision status, showed no difference between the two groups (combined risk ratio [RR] = 0.99, 95% CI = 0.94–1.05). Individual case study analysis of eight of those countries showed no significant difference in seroprevalence in circumcised and uncircumcised groups, while two countries (Kenya and Uganda) showed lower HIV prevalence among circumcised groups, and three countries (Cameroon, Lesotho and Malawi) showed higher HIV prevalence among circumcised groups. In most countries with a complex ethnic fabric, the relationship between men's circumcision status and HIV seroprevalence was not straightforward, with the exception of the Luo in Kenya and a few groups in Uganda. These observations put into question the potential long-term effect of voluntary circumcision programmes in countries with generalised HIV epidemics.

(Source)

That is from a study in 2008.

As for your figure of 50,000 for penile cancer. Isn't that the number of all known and diagnosed cases of penile cancer since 1935? Seeing that less than 2,000 men were diagnosed with penile cancer in 2007 in the US, I am curious as to how exactly you came by that figure. I did read somewhere that since 1935, there have been 50,000 cases of penile cancer in the US. But the American Cancer Society have stated that the mortality rate from circumcision and complications surrounding the procedure could actually be very similar to the rate of deaths of penile cancer per year in the US. So gain, is it really valid to use circumcision as a preventative measure, when doing so is not only 100% successful as a preventative measure, but that the number of deaths from penile cancer could mirror that of babies who die of circumcisions every year?

As for imposing your views.. Kind of funny when one considers your views about how you view the uncircumcised male as being somehow "gross" as well as the plethora of links you have provided to support your side of the argument. If that is not an imposition of views, I don't know what is. Guess what Sam, we are all imposing our views in this thread.

20. Bells Staff Member

Excuse me? I did not delete the image of the aborted fetus.

I didn't even realise it had been deleted until now.

So I'd suggest you actually make sure of who deleted what before you accuse me of "such bias".

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Again, you are assuming that mothers who circumcise do not breast feed. Do African and Middle Eastern women breastfeed less than European and Australian women? I do not think so. Your one study on STDs is refuted by several long tern studies, one just completed over 25 years, which shows a 50% reduction in incidence. All these points have already been discussed.

Yes, its also from a post posted in this thread. Out of 50,000 diagnosed cases since the 1930s (which is important since diagnosis has now improved) only 10 were circumcised. Thats a massive significant difference for the 10,000 who died.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sorry, I assumed it was you because we are discussing, I see now it must be James. meh.

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

SAM i find it interetsing that you dismiss a cohrain review as speculative and then post links to news articals without the studies they are relying on. Yes i know i posted a news artical from the ABC but it was about a policy from the AMA (the doctors association of Australia) and the only reason i posted it was i was unable to find it on the AMA website

I suggest you read this (which came out of the above link and is from the austrolasion colloge of pediatritrisins)

"There have been increasing claims of health benefits from routine male circumcision. There are, however, also risks associated with the procedure from infection, bleeding and damage to the glans penis. The College has recently reviewed evidence in relation to risks and benefits and has concluded that it is not possible to be dogmatic on the exact risk/benefit ratio. There are suggestions of reductions in the risk of urinary tract infections, of local inflammatory conditions of the penis and later cancer of the penis. It has also been claimed that there is a reduction in the risk of sexually transmitted disease (especially HIV) and of cancer of the cervix in partners of circumcised males. However, studies claiming these benefits do have methodological problems which could influence findings and these problems will be difficult to overcome. Therefore, at the present time it would be wrong either to claim that there are definite health benefits or to deny that they exist.

The possibility that routine circumcision may contravene human rights has been raised because circumcision is performed on a minor and is without proven medical benefit. Whether these legal concerns are valid will probably only be known if the matter is determined in a court of law.

The Australasian Association of Paediatric Surgeons has informed the College that it is its view that routine male circumcision should not be performed prior to the age of 6 months. It considers that "Neonatal male circumcision has no medical indication. It is a traumatic procedure performed without anaesthesia to remove a normal and healthy prepuce.""

Now the state health departments have gone the step further and banned the pocidure in all public hospitals (for non medical reasons) but the state parliments are yet to amend the concent to medical treatment acts to ban it compleatly for non medical reasons on unconcenting children. That is the next logical step and i will be interested to see when the law reform counciles recomend it. Personally i feel that every child muitlated until that date should have the right to sue both the state and federal goverments and there parents and doctors for breaching there rights under the international convention on the rights of the child (something we are a signitry to)

I would LOVE to see where that class action went