Do your posts often vanish without a trace?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by francois, Feb 23, 2008.

?

Do your posts ever vanish without a trace or explanation?

1. Very frequently

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. Sometimes

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. Not very often, but yes

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Not yet

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

OP is Original Point if my guess is correct.

Since the question of this thread is: Do you posts often vanish without a trace, its simple question could easily lead to a discussion about why. And now it looks like we have a growing answer. The diversion looped back into the OP.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Oh you mean like this that has nothing to do with this topic:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

OP =Opening Post.

There are many factors which go into deletion of a post in a thread.

Of course, since the decision is subjective and based not only on the moderators viewpoint of what the forum should aim for but also a desire to give a certain kind of direction to the forum discussions, hence, moderation by the same moderator in two different subforums with different goals may be different. And moderation of different posters will also be different.

In my case, post deletion is determined by:

1. Posting history:

By far, this to me is the most important criteria.

i.e. does the poster adhere to some semblance of the scientific method? Will the direction of further discussion be more informative, more analytical, more ruminative, more rhetorical, more likely to diverge into interesting byways OR will further discussion by the poster lead to derailment by offtopic and meaningless posts? I have little objection to profanity or humor, although I do pander to general rules set out by plazma.

2. Abuse

Also very important.

Is the intent of the post to target, flame or bait particular posters rather than debate a point of view?
    If this is done intelligently also I will bypass it.

3. Content

Is the post either

-informative
    -humorous without being inflammatory
    -a unique viewpoint on an also-ran
    -challenging to other posters to come up with a reply that will stimulate further relevant discussion?

Then it stays.

-----

In general, these are the criteria I use for editing posts in Biology/

In S&S, I am more lax, and as long as there is no repeated flaming or fighting or absolute nonsense posts, I will let it go.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I see you reopened the G spot thread. Seems my posts are still deleted. You went back and deleted even more of my posts by the looks of it! Looks like the others are still intact............You know the ones I gave examples of having no Scientific Method, which you said mine had none. What a great job you are doing...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Does this mean I am not allowed to post in certain parts of this forum? Because that is how is it looking.

Tiassa kept saying if you want results give examples. I have done just that........and Sam you haven't explained yet why
    the posts that I gave you examples of , are any different than mine. But you choose to leave those on the board.

The fact is you don't like me, and you are using your Powers of a Mod......to Unfairly treat those you don't like, and look the other way
    when it is someone you do.
    THIS is what members here are talking about when they say some MODS are very bias and abuse their power. You are TOP on that list!

PS: At least Stryder stepped in and took care of it. Also unbanned the Member that you did for no good reason either. AND NO I DIDN"T ASK HIM,
    I never spoke to him. He must have just seen how Unfair you were being.

8. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

one raven's posts are also deleted but I don't see him complaining.

I reviewed the thread in question and all deleted post are deleted with reason.

Biology & Genetics is a place for serious discussion, not for IM conversation. And deleted posts resemble more on IM chat, than serious talk.

9. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

And 1/2 of the undeleted posts still resemble a chat....

I take it the discussion on Smoking Koala Dung is a serious discussion and the posts there are based on Scientific Method too? Funny how SAM isn't deleting those.
    The whole thread is a JOKE!!
    Funny if I posted in that thread in such manner mine would all be DELETED.
    You guys should at least try and be consistent.

The rest you can read for yourself!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Most of the time I never even notice if a post of mine has been deleted. I suppose if it was an important part of a big discussion I might, but if its just teasing banter, who cares.

Sometimes when people get worked up about it, it reminds me of sibling rivalry.