Do you study/train in any type of mrtial arts?.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Sorry mate, thought you're from the US.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Carcano,

The military and all police forces across the globe all train in martial arts, purely to improve the real situations they are going to face. Why do police officers train in martial arts?, it's so they have the advantage on the street taking down and over-comming a target.

Basic strength training, stamina training, flexibility etc are all needed for combat, that is why most martial arts prepares you for this not just teaching you "moves". The majority of my shaolin training involves mostly body conditioning and strength/flexibility advancing.

Ofcourse lifting weights helps but you cannot just be strong and healthy and expect to win on those merits alone. Look at the gracie family, they have documented how skill can win over strength many times over. You do not see many body builders winning MMA matches who have no prior martial training.

Learning how to fight is as much mental as physical, you need experience and to develop a fighting mentality. The human body has reactions built in, some of these natural reactions hinder your fighting ability, like flinching and closing your eyes when punches are being thrown. you need to learn footwork and be aware of your surroundings during a fight. Who has better chances of survival if attacked by more than one armed person with knives, a guy who just lifts weights and does cardio training, or a guy who has been training for years in weapons classes, learning how to fend off armed attackers.

Who would you bet your money on seriously if you got 1 pro athlete and stuck him in the ring with a cage fighting heavyweight champion with 20 years fighting experience.

If you train in a particular field it makes you better in that area, like if you practice playing tennis for 15 years its going to make you a better tenis player than somebody who just went to the gym for 15 years.

peace.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Police train to subdue. Subdue means render powerless without damage.

Thats fine for drunks and people freaking out on drugs and such, but if a criminal is seriously intent on hurting a cop the police will turn to billy clubs or guns.

If the pro athlete and the heavyweight champion are of similar weight and strength its not really a good comparison.

Lets take a more extreme example:

Suppose you had an Olympic weight lifter up against an average looking guy with three years of technique training. Lets say he knows every Jujitsu move in the book, but is not terribly athletic.

Weight lifters at that level can typically lift 500-540 pounds over their head.

Who would you put your money on???

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

In three years? Make it at least 10. Besides moves are not everything, it's also muscle memory, ability to think within fight, etc.

8. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Thats my point...effective combat has little to do with techniques.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

The same as writing has to do with the ability to draw letters.

I suggest you just go to a martial arts class, pick someone who's been training for a 5 years or so and try out on yourself. Thai box would be a good choice.

10. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Those police officers are also trained in how to use those weapons that they draw on people, which is also martial training. Martial arts was and is used in warfare, from the orient and middle east, right through europe and into america. All of our military forces train in martial arts for good reasons not for the fun of it.

If you got a world champion body builder and put him in the ring with the best heavyweight MMA champion do you really think the body builder would win?. Ontop of that 3 years experience is not going to cut it your still a rookie after 3 years of training, I have been training for 20 years almost and I still have alot to learn and develop.

If you do not train to fight how can you expect to fight better than a person who has put in years of training for the very reason of being a better fighter. Your body and joints simply will not be prepared or conditioned enough for fighting, I do shaolin iron fist training so that my fists do not get injured while pounding peoples hard skulls, if you have regular peoples hands and you punch a skull over and over again it will damage your knuckles, it is simple science bro, your bones are not dense and solid they are simular to a honeycomb structure which can break easily or fracture on high impact. when you do bone conditioning methods it will condense the bone making it much more durable and tougher. I can punch a solid wall and come off without injury because I have been conditioning my bones for years. If you went and punched a solid wall or a tree over and over your hands would be damaged. not to mention your skin is weaker and can be broken faster than mine.

Hitting a heavy bag or bag filled with sand will prepare your arm/hands/wrists for the impact needed for an effective strike. You can't just think you are superman because you can lift some weights and jump into a fight with a skilled veteran and expect to win, that kind of action will result in somebody getting there ass handed to them. I have personaly taught bodybuilders how to fight in the past, also a good point to stress would be bouncers working clubs and bars, I know plenty of them a few of my family members are doormen/bouncers around the east end in London, they all train in some form of martial arts, mostly Jujutsu/judo/boxing/MMA, they are already built like mountains most of them dwarfing regular folk by miles, but yet they are still sensible enough and feel the need to train in martial arts, because martial arts is designed for this very purpose, go and read up on my good friend Kevin O hagan or visit one of his seminars when he comes your way. He is one of the best people who teaches on this exact subject.

Maybe you got martial arts confused with the sporting and semi contact stuff that has become so fmous in modern times, look into some Systemma, Krav Maga, Jujutsu, Shaolin and see what rel martial arts is about, it is not about flashy bullshit you see on TV, it is about real coombat life or death situations in the real world. MMA cage fighting is as real as sporting events can get, but we cannot allow people to go all out with no gloves and no rules to the death for our entertainment, we would be clearing bodies out of the ring every day.

Bottom line is that learning how to fight increases your chances of surviving and winning fights, simple as that. Why would the military use martial arts if it was not effective?.

peace.

11. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Yes theres many examples of people who got their black belt in karate, thought they were hot stuff now, and then picked a confrontation with an unschooled street fighter and lost...badly.

Thai boxing or kick boxing are good examples of how most martial arts are only relevant against themselves. High kicks are never used in Wing Chun for example because they are too slow and require too much space.

This is why a Thai boxer is only effective against another Thai boxer in a formal match with rules. All you have to do is move in close enough to make kicking impossible and youve foiled half his arsenal.

12. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Thats where knees and elbows come in handy.

13. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

I have trained in muay thai to a decent level, under instructor Bill Chudd who was a Thai champion at one point, He teaches in the KO gym in globe road in bethnal green East London,

We favour low kicks and are taught not to use high kicks in a real fight outside of sporting competition, Muay Thai has a main focus on low fast kicks to the side of the knee or just behind the leg. Most Muay Thai fighters will favour low kicks over high kicks.

Boxing and muay thai are effective in street fights, using knees, elbows, various hand strike, clinches and low kicks which work if near to perfected. Boxing is very effective for increasing your fighting stamina and teaching basic hand strikes which work in street fights.

How can you say punches have no effect in street fights?, I have won (guessing roughly) over 20 fights on the street with a clean combination of punches.

You seem to lack real life experience in combat and fighting.

peace.

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Good luck using that tactic on any martial artist worth their salt, let alone a MT fighter.

15. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I never said that punches have no effect, what I suggest is that repeating technique forms wont help much in reality.

The truth is that between opponents of equal weight and strength most fights end up on the ground in 10-15 seconds, and all those choreographed moves go right out the window. The martial arts business is primarily about extracting cash from the male ego...by making you look cool!

Take this video for example. Here is a martial artist I can respect - Bruce Frantzis. He trained for many years in the orient and demonstrates many different styles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMtjzQ_XV5M

But this is the point...styles dont matter much, because whats really going on here is the extension of internal power, or Chi. Called Qi in Mandarin and Ki in Japanese.

Unless youve got LOTS of that...all techniques are equally ineffective.

16. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Repeating the strike is done to perfect muscle memory and get the movement drilled into your mind/body as a response and natural reaction. You can reconfigure your bodys natural reactions and reflexes with enough effort in training.

It is true that no style is king, if somebody trains in wing chun it does not mean they can beat a person who trains in karate or TKD, the individual person and there effort and skill is what matters. I know cage fighters who only hit heavy bags, lift stone locks and practice stance holding and they have wiped the floor with s called karate black belts. your grade and belt mean nothing, your style does not garantee you success it all depends upon the individual. Some people are just not built for fighting also.

Most fights do end up on the ground this is a true fact, but this is where your grappling and ground tactics come in. It would be foolish to only train in standing combat with strikes, everybody who wants well rounded fighting ability needs to train in ground fighting and grappling it is insane to rely on strikes alone.

I go against most of what modern day fighters believe, I do Qigong and Taiji trining I do believe Qi is real. Internal power is a big factor in your fighting bility I personaly think. I get scolded by most people I know who do reality ased training for this viewpoint, But I usualy try to teach them the art of relaxing and letting your energy flow to demonstrate it. I find tht when relaxed you are much stronger/faster than when tensed up and stoic. Strikes flow with better accuracy and speed when you relax. This is a ontroversial subject though and I cannot provide any evidence to support my claims on Qi. Maybe it is because I believe in Qi that my mind allows it to work through focus and mind over matter, who knows.

There is a huge difference between choreographed moves and repeating strikes over and over, One is for entertainment the other is for drilling fighting memory into your body and perfecting your form. Like for instance I can give you a quick example and little tip to try out, when using elbow strikes the slightest angle mistake of your hand can result in either you finishing some guy off with a KO, or you nearly breaking your arm on his skull. Take a regular stance raise your arm for an elbow strike and lightly tap the wall, if you clench your fist and make a zero with your thumb and index finger the zero should not be facing your chest but instead up in the air, palm facing your chest.lightly tap the wall both ways. (not too light, put a tiny bit of force into it) you should feel a pain when the zero is facing your chest, wen you twist your wrist/hand so the clenched palm faces your chest it should feel "right" on impact. little things like this can make all the difference, and it helps to have somebody like me who knows what they are talking about to guide you to avoid these little mistakes in body mechanics.

Trust me man.

Oh and by the way Ki is not the equal of Qi, that is a common missconception, Qi is life energy or breath energy, Ki would in my opinion be the equal of the chinese "shen" energy. whih means spirit energy. The chinese believe in 3 main energies of this type, Shen (spirit), Jing (essence) and Qi (breath/life force).

Ki would be Shen more than Qi. As shen is aquired and earned, some people do not ever gain shen. Qi is everywhere in all living things, it can be cultivated and manipulated.

peace.

17. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Shen in Chinese medicine is vaguely defined as consciousness.

Ki or Qi is internal energy which can be accumulated and projected outward.

The literature of Aikido speaks about Ki with the exact same meaning as Qi in Chinese martial arts, and anyone who doubts its existence should watch these two videos very carefully.

The first is of a Chinese master who has developed his mastery of Qi to the point where he hardly has to move at all in defeating an attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu99GRUUN6Y

And one sees the same kind of seemingly effortless movements in the founder of Aikido...Morihei Ueshiba.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxxb2ctulEs

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  18. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

It is only working because the guys think he can do it, Qi can be used for healing and maintaining health, you can use it to a certain extent for defending and making your body much more resistant to aattack. What that guy is doing is not real I study Qigong myself we have to study it as part of our Shaolin training at my temple. That old chinese guy could not do that to me See if his chi can ward off some iron fist to his face.

I will show you some people actualy focusing there internal energy, that guy is a clown.

hold on.

peace.

19. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

20. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

21. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Shaolin gong fu is based mostly on Qi it is not a mystical force that you cn blast people with like some kind of super powers. Here is a demonstaration fight just to compare the difference in reaction times of a shaolin monk and regular martial artists. I found this to show you what I mean by drilling reactions into your body and installing fighting reflexes.

See the shaolin monk most likely trains alot more intense and for much longer hours than the japanese styled fighter. result is the monk is not a regular human anymore he is specialized and adapted for fighting, This was obviously not meant to be a anything goes cage fight, but it does show the difference between what most people think of as a martial artist, compared to somebody who has actualy honed his skills very well with consistent training.

Look at the monks focus and how relaxed he is, very comfortable in his element.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvq1BHpRAbc&feature=related

peace.

23. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

He cannot project tazer like energy powers that shock people out of his hands, if he held my hand I would not be effected like those guys are, you might though if you make yourself believe he can actualy do it.

Its not real to tha extent thats over exaggerated, No Qigong master I have ever trained with has ever tried to do any of that rubbish.

peace.