Do you sin against God or man?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Greatest I am, Jan 22, 2011.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I'm not sure you understand.

If you can't isolate the state of lust, bringing an mri machine will not help you any.

IOW if you call upon an mri machine to isolate lust, its a classic example of poor specificity

Much like there is no criminal repercussions for a dealer who conceives of legal justice as a mere abstraction ... until the narcs kick in his door at 3 am of course.

even immoral activity is empowered (and enforced) by an authority greater than a mere individual

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

If the only reason one avoids pubs or illegal dog fights is because some of the people there make one feel uncomfortable, then perhaps ...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i think you should read a book on codependency.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

And you should learn about solipsism.

8. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Have you ever actually believed any of the things that you were told about how stupid, inept, worthelss you are?
    Or did you just conveniently skip over that?

9. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

that's not my philosophy.

seriously, my mom read a book on codependency and it helped her quite a bit. after 50 something years she finally grew a set, and she's much happier now.

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

do you doubt any of the things that you were told about how stupid, inept, worthless you are?
    Or did you just conveniently skip over that?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

So you don't actually practice the religion you profess to belong to?

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Generally if we are told things about how stupid, inept, worthless we are, we have criteria for determining the value of such criticism (or alternatively, praise)..

also, generally speaking, there is a time for being told that one is an idiot and a time for being supported ... that's the general course of events for any sort of relationship ... particularly the more important or intimate it is ... (aside from anything intrinsically religious or whatever)

13. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Scriptures and sadhus do not spare with criticism.
    Nor do devotees.

"But by telling you that you are worthless, expendable, the lowest of mankind, I am actually supporting you! Why can't you see that? Why must you be so selfish? You really deserve to suffer the way you do."

If they would lynch people in churches and temples, I wouldn't be surprised.

14. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

would you quit your fucking whining for christ's sake?

this is the truth...

you will never be free as long as your sense of self worth is dependent upon someone else.

you will never have peace as long as you live in fear and doubt.

you will never be able to love anyone else unless you learn to love yourself first, which is CRITICAL, when the ultimate goal is communion, and IT IS.

now if you're not willing to do what it takes to know god, then shut the fuck up, because no one else is EVER going to be able to do that for you.

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

well sure
    now I guess we just have to gauge how much of it is pertinent to ourself

if one determines that as the highest grade of support, then I guess its not so much that one deserves to suffer but that is inevitable

If they would lynch people in churches and temples, I wouldn't be surprised.[/QUOTE]
    probably more likely to happen in supermarkets

16. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

What does that matter??
    Once a devotee has a go at me, looks angrily and yells - obviously, I am supposed to believe it, or I will cause the devotee a grave offence.

You can talk the way you do here. But how about actually going there with me, and facing it?

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

you are not unique

we all face a variety of criticism from a variety of persons on a variety of issues
    :shrug:

18. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I don't claim to be unique.

I just don't know what to do, what to think, when the criticism comes from a devotee. Since a devotee is supposed to be considered so above everyone else and everything.

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

if you really thought that, you wouldn't be complaining

IOW using the word "supposed" offers a hint

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  20. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I think I expressed myself correctly.

I myself am not sure that devotees are above everyone else.

I want to understand the logic of giving someone infinite credit (which is what the devotees want to be given) while not actually knowing whether that person deserves (which is something the devotees do not care about - they just demand infinite credit, regardless whether we know why they deserve it or not).

21. lightgigantic Banned Banned

"wanting to be given credit" (and infinite quantities of it) is not really a quality of a devotee
    I think you understand this

22. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

In theory, perhaps, do devotees not want such credit.
    In practice, it's a different matter.

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

then there is either something wrong with being a devotee or something wrong with whom you apply the criteria to
    :shrug: