Do you approach conversations in good faith?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wegs, May 8, 2019.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

1) There is no "both" sides. It's the Republican Party vs a wide variety of alternative "sides".
    2) Not equivalently. The bad from the current Republican Party is in a class of its own - far greater than the bad from any other serious political faction in the US.
    3) The good from the Republican Party is all but nonexistent - there is very little, if any, good in that Party.

The Republican Party has been taken over by fascism. Nothing good will come of that.
    That's bs. The center and left Democrats haven't been driving the car in decades - since 1980.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Perfect. This campaign shall have humor!

Seattle likes this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

What do you make of the low unemployment rate though, under Trump? I know that stats are deceiving, but I keep hearing this from the media, and wonder if this is more cyclical and not directly related to Trump? I'll freely admit. I'm not as well versed in politics as you are.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sculptor Valued Senior Member

LOL
    Conidering the subject of this thread, your posting is really quite hilarious.

8. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

If Patch Adams is a candidate, I'd vote for him.

9. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Would you vote for a "yellow dog"?

10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I'd vote for my cat. He would make a great President, as long as someone feeds and pets him on the regular, he'd be easy to get along with. He must be fed on time, though!

11. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Of course not. For one thing, they're extinct, or nearly so, for another, the Southern States would find some way to prevent me voting at all.
    Isn't that what you have in the WH now? Well, it depends what's on your cat's diet.

12. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

It's hard not to marvel at their appreciation for the long game. To take a reputable political party and slowly transform it, over the course of half a century, into what it is today--and to do so in such a manner such a manner that a significant portion of the populace has yet to catch on... That's pretty damn impressive. When considered alongside historic antecedents, in ostensibly democratic systems (well, up to a point), it's even more impressive. In the past, no one has really succeeded in getting millions of people to vote against their own interests--blatantly and transparently.

Oddly, I haven't seen the film. The influence of Barbara Steele is apparent in all of Tim Burton's work (in TNBC, Sally's look is very much Barbara Steele), so I generally make a point of seeing his films. Also, Catherine O'Hara voices Sally. Damn, I really do need to watch it now. (I've got a lot of peculiar cultural deficits--like, I've never heard an entire Led Zeppelin album.)

13. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

You'll note that I specifically said "inexplicably ignorant." Were I to have a more comprehensive understanding of precisely how they remain so ignorant, I might not allow for the possibility that they could be reasonable. Also, I didn't say that anyone was stupid, but rather, that they are ignorant, and that is a demonstrable fact.

I've lived in a fairly primitive manner (out in the sticks, no gadgets, no electricity, etc.) for a significant part of my life, so I assume others do as well. If you haven't read the news in 20 or 30 years, well... But then, in that case, you probably shouldn't be voting.

14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Trump's a ''fat cat,'' no pun.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Borgias with jet-packs.... But the GOP is only one of their tools. I started paying attention during the Reagan-Thatcher-Muloney axis (because of the M factor)
    Of course, there have been significant rewards along the way - not just running over and then backing over the labour movement, and the working class in general, but lots and lots of nice monetary perks. The end-game, of course, is in sight: it's closing panic now; they have very little time to gobble up what's left of the world.
    A quick review of history may be in order. People were always stupid.
    And ignorant. And credulous. And too damn lazy to ready the fine print.

Nightmare Before Christmas is our traditional version of Wizard of Oz. (The sequel, not o much.)

16. gmilam Valued Senior Member

I would recommend III as a good starting point.

17. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Honestly, I will admit that my contention that the present situation is somehow different to previous ones is not entirely rational, it's more that I feel that it is different but I cannot articulate why it is different. It could be simply that we are living it, but... I don't know.

For one, many of the sci-fi aspects of both Brave New World and 1984 have become reality, and that is significant.

Also, something to do with information and smartphones (don't have one, never will) and the like. For instance, when the redacted Mueller report was released, every single article quoted the passage, "this does NOT exonerate..." A few days later, a poll reveals that x percent of people believe that the Mueller report exonerates. How does that even work? Obviously, increased access to information also means increased access to disinformation, perhaps exponentially more so, but still.

Do I really believe that Karl Rove is that much more clever than Goebbels? I don't know. Are people dumber? Again, I don't know--but BNW and 1984 are pertinent here.

People have always voted against their interests, but--again--I feel that, in the past, a more enticing--or convincing--carrot was dangled before them.

18. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Which would be the proggiest album? Or the wyrd folkiest one? Or, really, the one on which John Paul Jones is most prominent?

19. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I think it's the End Times; the closing panic.
    Also, nothing has ever been this big before - the number of affected people, the scale of the destruction, the disparity (sums of money they're throwing around upstairs while half a million Americans - and nobody bothers to count how many million 'other' can't find a place to sleep).
    And the frenzy....
    ( I recommend a novel sort-of-about-that)

Welcome to the lead pencil club. We might be road-kill, but at least our playmates can't shame us into suicide for some tribal taboo.

Who you gonna believe, the (failing) New York Times or you PRESIDENT?

I filter my news through Stephen Colbert and Hasan Minaj. Can't get John Oliver anymore.

He doesn't have to be: he's part of a great big villain-entity that includes Cheney, Stone, Norquist, other names I've forgotten; they sort of run together at the edges and thus become both insidious and immortal.

No, but they're more confused.

Sometimes. But the most enticing and convincing thing is eternal: pin their greatest fear to their deepest prejudice -
    then you can lead them off the cliff and they'll say "What fall?"

20. Seattle Valued Senior Member

That's not a political question. That's an economic question. Presidents (any President) have little to do with the economy and if anything they have more ability to harm the economy than they do to help it.

The economy recovered under Clinton. It would have done much the same if HW Bush had been reelected.

21. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

persecution of the rich complex ? minority elitism factionary self victimisation to morally justify the psychopath... self administered American cultural poison(globalist alt-right whining entitlists)

The rich do not lose from laws(without laws rich become war lords & civil war ensues with no law but might is right, empires kingdoms & fortunes are lost & gained in days & weeks, genocide is normal entire familys killed to remove blood lines and power & control)
    be those tax laws or laws that enable them to maintain their position of superiority.

the psychosis is thinking that positions of superiority are equal to those who lack the same ability(psychopathic narcissism as a model of sociological moral mandate).

the transient aspect of moral diagnosis seeks to underline a sense of need to do nothing as a basic human instinct toward survivalism.
    this clearly shows in many forms.

a law that persecutes or rewards someone for a position that they have as superior to someone else is not an equalizer process.
    it is a reward for a position of inequality.

The human minds seeks to normalize its value sense to seek attainment of equality as a form of self actualised judgemental premise.
    assuming that to be a normative balance is like suggesting naturalness is only achieved by stopping living.
    the process of entropic metaphysical properties of the human state cant be simply moralized into a concept of cultural dogma.

22. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

like Sanders and Pompeo and Cohen and Barr and Palin and Kushner ?

look at the a-moral bun fight the republicans had against each other when they were playing for the top job.
    no friends, no morals, no "family values" as they call them.

surely all of them are better informed than most others.

i wouldn't trust any of them to run a school crossing by themselves.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

ironically, looking at the picture, notice the disabled parking sign
    notice the steel strut with knife like edges on 3 sides, so if a child rides into it, it will cut them to the bone.
    clever well informed people all of them.

23. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I never had a conversation with any of those people. And watch what Sanders you're mixing in which bag of nuts.

I thought that was an ordinary T-post. Doubt it could fillet a child, but it could bruise them pretty good. I know, I've pounded enough of the buggers into hard gravel.
    T-posts, not children.

Last edited: May 9, 2019