Do we have a GOD gene?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Theoryofrelativity, Aug 9, 2006.

?

I have read the links and

1. believe there may be a 'God' gene

38.5%
  2. DO NOT believe there is any 'God' gene and will post my reasons why

23.1%
  3. I would like more information please everso kindly

7.7%
  4. I am theist

23.1%
  5. I am atheist

38.5%
  6. I haven't read the links so have no opinion and should be castrated

46.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

HonorAndStrength there are books like that, codes of ethics, manuals, rule books etc. We have laws.

The rule of, do no harm, which JS Mill and others write about, and oaths that people take. The problem is, I don't think everyone has the mind capable of understanding morality beyond the words. The Christian bible saved humanity from destroying itself simply because, people were afraid to go to hell so even though they didn't believe a word in the bible, there was the carrot and stick approach. How exactly are you going to enforce a book on morality or on codes of conduct? No man is powerful enough to do it, you'd need aliens or something higher to enforce the rules. If laws are invented they can be changed and will constantly be broken, but people are afraid of an eternity in hell. Even the most ruthless individuals fear burning in hell forever. I'm not saying the bible metaphors were ever designed to be taken literally, but if you act hellish you do invent hell on earth. The question is, if God is removed, what about Satanism? Wouldnt Satanism become much more popular if God become less popular?

I don't think religion is ready to die because humans are not a moral species yet. We are still morally insane. Some of us have natural empathy, but thats a minority not the majority. Most people if they don't have God, will simply turn to Satan, and Satanism, and how exactly would this be any better?

All the time you athiests spend on attacking God, why not attack Satan? You'd get the pro-God crowd on your side. If you are going to attack religion, why not attack "organized" religion, and then you'd get just about everyone on your side. Why attack "God" and not "Satan". It gives athiests the image of Satanist, and the other reason is, most Satanists are athiests, so it really does not help your cause to be associated with Satanism.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. HonorAndStrength I know nothing Registered Senior Member

If there is no 'God', how can there be a 'Satan'? The Church of Satan actually claims to be a belief system and not an actual belief in a being named 'Lucifer'..

Are these books taught to children? They have competition with religion and each other and are taken as opinions. Remove the fear of Hell and teach genuine caring for humanity... not just because 'God' says so, but explain why you should and how precious each life is. How lucky we are to be alive and how destructive the wrong methods are. If people are taught this, they learn how to do this because they UNDERSTAND it not because 'God' tells them to.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I have a question

How is it possible for atheists to beleive in such a thing as 'luck'?

My bfriend is atheist and he often makes comments suggesting certain things will never happen to him, as that is the way it is with him (bad luck type things) and he has observed he has certain 'luck' with money and thus believes he can win more than someone without his luck. Now I attribute what he speaks of to this interfering force. I call this interfering force God, he calls it luck, what is the difference?

Why do you insist there is a difference?

Luck does not exist for you if you are atheist, how can it? How can you believe that certain things come more to you than to others when you beliive that the world is not built to define you thus?

LUCK:
    "Luck is the belief in an organization of fortunate and unfortunate events. Luck is a form of superstition which is interpreted differently by different individuals.

Luck as a fallacy
    A rationalist approach to luck includes the application of the rules of probability, and an avoidance of unscientific beliefs. The rationalist feels the belief in luck is a result of poor reasoning or wishful thinking. To a rationalist, a believer in luck commits the post hoc logical fallacy:

A happens (luck-attracting event or action) and then B happens;
    Therefore, A caused B."

Theists thus can believe in luck and note it to be in effect, if you as an atheist have also noted 'luck' in effect then you have noted the interfering force!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. imaplanck. Banned Banned

I wouldn't know because I dont believe in luck only probability. Anyone who believes in luck would be different to a theist though, luck belief would be a product of evolving in an evironment where gambling would be advantageous IMO.

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Sorry, but you're sadly mistaken that science has anything to do with group think mentality. Psuedoscience, perhaps.

Look to Islam as a perfect example of groupthink mentality, based on Irving Janis' (8) symptoms indicative of groupthink mentality:

1. Illusion of invulnerability
    2. Unquestioned belief in the inherent morality of the group
    3. Collective rationalization of group's decisions
    4. Shared stereotypes of outgroup, particularly opponents
    5. Self-censorship; members withhold criticisms
    6. Illusion of unanimity (see false consensus effect)
    7. Direct pressure on dissenters to conform
    8. Self-appointed "mindguards" protect the group from negative information

Your brains have fallen out. It is my hypothesis, my speculation, based on fact that the Flying Spagetti Monster will touch upon you with his noodley appendages this very night. Be ready!

9. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I agree, let's all attack Satan. He gives everyone a bad name.

Please to show us where he is exactly?

10. HonorAndStrength I know nothing Registered Senior Member

11. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

What atheists are you talking about? When we say "Oh boy, was I ever lucky" we're not referring to some "force" no matter what you and your boyfriend ObiWan may think. It's a simple acknowlwedgement of the probabalistic nature of the universe. What's so hard to understand about that?

12. HonorAndStrength I know nothing Registered Senior Member

Had me laughing hard on this one, thank you Q

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

No difference at all, you're both delusional.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Good grief, this thread sprang up when I wasn't paying attention and has gotten this long in three days. Forgive me for not reading the whole thing, but in case no one else has pointed this out:

One of the things that Jung's paradigm makes clear is that religion is an archetype. A motif, image, artifact, idea, whatever... that occurs virtually without exception, in all cultures and all eras. An element of what he calls the collective unconscious.

Different religions arise independently, or sometimes they evolve from one another, or sometimes they compete with one another and one prevails. But every society has it. Some, like Buddhism and the Dao, have moved slightly aside from the concept of one or more deities--supreme beings resembling humans or other mortal creatures.

But they all contain two themes that transcend rational thought, or even conflict with it: trust in something or someone that has not manifestly earned it the way one human earns another's trust, and belief in a supernatural plane of existence in which the physical laws of the natural universe are suspended. Both of these are aspects of faith, which can certainly be decomposed in a different way from mine.

So whatever else you can say about faith and religion in general, it is an instinct. Certainly there are plenty of people like myself and many of you who don't have it. But the fact that a large number of people have an instinct for homosexuality does not disprove the notion that everyone else has a heterosexual instinct.

So... it could be a gene. That's about the only obvious explanation to us scientists. It has survived intact for too long to be something that people pass on to their children by teaching; all traditions change slowly.

Or... there could be a supernatural explanation for it. Maybe the goddess breathes it into us on our way down the birth canal.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

16. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

You know? The more I see of the FSM, the more frightened I become. I'm not sure I want to follow his noodley goodness anymore. Too scary.

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Anytime! All hail the FSM!

Anelli Eliche Gemelli Lumache Tagliarini!

18. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

his dick is too small

the picture is thus unrealistic :bugeye:

20. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Yup ^^^

21. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Really? I thought that long noodley appendage toward the middle was... you know... his pasta wanker. shhhhh.

22. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

So we are all agreed

God designed us with mechanism for 'needing ' him and we made up the rest.

23. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Wait. You thought I was talking about... Ha!