Do we have a GOD gene?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Theoryofrelativity, Aug 9, 2006.

?

I have read the links and

1. believe there may be a 'God' gene

38.5%
  2. DO NOT believe there is any 'God' gene and will post my reasons why

23.1%
  3. I would like more information please everso kindly

7.7%
  4. I am theist

23.1%
  5. I am atheist

38.5%
  6. I haven't read the links so have no opinion and should be castrated

46.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Im super jealous.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

It's ok planckster. My post count is way bigger than yours. It's all these women think about. Hussies.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

If god created man, do you not think he may while wishing to remain mostly anonymous, have a slight ego, that may require him to program us to 'seek' him out, or to 'know' him in a manner that makes sense to us?

Alcoholics hallucinating is not same as being born with a predisposition to see pink elephants?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

All this sweet talk will go to my head!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

lol

indeed bigger is always better, although an enquiring mind is attractive too and humouring the God squad is a well known aphrodisiac.

9. HonorAndStrength I know nothing Registered Senior Member

Wow @ this thread topic.

I would assume the curiosity of man, self-awareness, and being unable to explain how things work would be -obvious- as to the reason why we have 'God'.... not a gene.... wow.

10. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

(Q) "Actually, it's just a group think mentality and it has nothing to do with awareness and more to do with sheep being led to the slaughter."
    With no group think there is no science. At some point we all agree on reality, thus we always have group think. Group think itself is not bad, as science can just as easily lead to our slaughter without religion.

superluminal
    "
    Please, please stop. You are like a pack rat that gathers sutff because it looks shiny, but has no idea what the stuff is for. You are stringing together random ideas of mysticism, spirituality, science, and pseudoscience and deriving "important" truths from them. Most of what you posted is nothing but speculation. A good scientist will acknowledge that, while trying to use the tools of science to verify the validity of his ideas. Your two links on behavioral genetics seem good. Have you bothered to read them? "

Evolution is not speculation. We know what causes evolution, and even Darwin admits that intelligent selectuion caused evolution when he mentioned natural selection. Quantum Entanglement is real, it has been proven in lab tests and in experiments. You asked me to show you the science, just do some research on quantum physics and you find evidence. It will never be enough evidence for you because you'll just reject it as speculation until we basically build a teleporter or you see a hologram right in your face. The fact is holographic memory exists, I know the technology, and you cannot debate it, it's there. Quantum computers exist, quantum entanglement exists, it's all real and you cannot just explain it away as speculation. You might not like my spiritual explaination, but at least I can explain it. I admit my spiritual explaination is a hypothesis, it's speculation, but admit that it's based on fact and that it could just as easily be right as it could be wrong. Be open minded.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  11. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Time Traveller can you please make it clear who you are quoting and where your bit starts? It's very confusing otherwise.

12. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

superluminal
    Please stop. You are speaking with someone who knows a fair bit of actual evolutionary science. Stop claiming things you know nothing about.

Now, I really did read the rest of your post, but it is not worthy of dissection. I suggest you go to the library and learn some modern evolutionary theory before continuing to publicly display your ignorance. Bye.

Evolution is God. Prove me wrong?

The fact that we both believe in evolution, and we both believe in intelligent selection, should prove something to you. You want to argue on the "science" of it, as if the "science" actually disproves any of my theories. The more science you bring into the debate, the more you prove my theory.

My concept of God is not something that is seperate from man, and thats why you cannot seem to grasp it. Look, you can believe that your existance is an accident, you can believe that the universe is an accident, you can make the claim that order is chaos or whatever else you want, but the fact is, you are here, you are self aware, accept it and deal with it. You never even attempted to answer my question so I'm guessing your mind simply couldnt deal with it.

Does the universe exist if there is no consciousness to discover it, yes or no? I think no, and that explains my point of view. You must think that the universe is seperate from you, but the science says that there is no such thing as seperation, and that everything comes from somethnig else, and is connected to something else. So where is your evidence that there is no God or to put it in scientific speak, where is your proof that there is no force of creation? I don't have proof, I have a hypothesis, and I told you mine, so lets see yours.

Anyone else who disagrees with me, lets hear your hypothesis. If you just disagree and you have no mind of your own and no hypothesis, it's as if you arent awake at all, just reciting book knowledge that someone else told you about how to think about this.

13. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Righto. Nice post.

Mainly though:

If you click the "go advanced" button under you quick-reply window, you can easily place QUOTE tags and othe neat things around your text and make it all much easier to read your wisdom.

14. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Now what the heck is this? Who is the bold? You or someone else, I assume someone else, so who?

15. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Amen sister.

16. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

That question?

That's an easy one. The question itself is posed from an active consciousness (we assume. That would be you, my chrono-transversing friend). Therefore, if there is no consciousness to pose the question, then the question itself cannot exist. Ergo, it is a pointless rumination. Any "answer" you come up with is therefore meaningless other than as a launching point to even more pointless speculation.

'K?

17. HonorAndStrength I know nothing Registered Senior Member

Yes, it exists. It's there physically, consciousness or not.

Please stop supporting the movement. Don't allow 'God' to morph with the times. Let him die a silent death so humanity can free itself already.

18. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

superluminal

All science started with speculation. Do you think Einstien knew any of that for sure when he discovered his theory of relativity? He knew of Isaac Newton, and if these scientists are your heros, surprise, they werent athiests. Both of these scientists were spiritual. There is nothing wrong with asking questions such as these, these are the sorts of questions that inspire people to get involved in science in the first place. My personality opinion is, no consciousness = no existance. When there is no self awareness in the universe, the universe will cease to exist. When there is no self awareness in the individual, the universe will cease to exist, and that is about as rational and as logical as I can word it.

19. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

HonorAndStrength, so you believe the universe created you and not that you created it?
    How is this different from worshipping a God? Even if you worship the machine of the universe, how is it different?

And why is the idea of God bad? The only point I'm trying to make is, believing in God is ultimately a choice. No amount of science can ever prove one way or the other. I believe we control the universe, I don't believe it controls us. In fact I don't believe the universe exists outside of consciousness. I don't believe the universe without consciousness would be real. You can't prove me wrong, I can't prove you wrong, but neither of us are being irrational, both opinions are rational and thats why it's what we should be debating and not debating the God gene As I see it, if we follow your belief, humanity will be worshippnig the universe and be trapped inside it, and trapped inside their physical bodies, as living machines. I don't think humanity can be freed because people choose to worship, if you choose to think of any force higher than yourself, then it will become so. This can be God, this can be nature, this can be the universe, an equation, anything.

20. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

That's fine. It's a nice opinion. You seem happy with it. And I never said asking questions was wrong. You asked, I answered.

Plus, Newton may have been a religious fanatic, but Einstien had, at most, vague deistic tendencies. Enough of that though. Nobody really cares.

21. HonorAndStrength I know nothing Registered Senior Member

I believe I am a product of a very long process. The playing out of mixtures of different chemicals and such. I believe there is a 'recipe' for life at the cellular level. Basic processes of 'survival' (does not fire use up oxygen to also 'survive'??) at a cellular level are then expanded from the micro to the macro. Our ability to think and give birth to culture and thought is nothing more than a result of that. You can think up grandiose ideas if you want to....

We are all lucky to be here.

22. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

That is how we are different HonorAndStrength. I do not believe there is a such thing as luck, or random. I think we are here deliberately, with purpose. I suppose spirituality gives people a sense of purpose, and thats why it's good. I can understand why people might say it's bad, but without God we'd be even more manipulated by the spin doctors through commercials and moral hypnosis. If you think things are bad now, how do you think things would be if people had no moral foundation and had to get their morality and purpose from television and music videos?

23. HonorAndStrength I know nothing Registered Senior Member

Replace the Bible with an easily acceptable book that explains the MORAL and efficient methods of living for the benefit of yourself, your family, and humanity as a whole. Nobody will ever be able to say, "god doesnt exist so i do what i want".... everyone on planet Earth would be able to accept this book.

Humanity as a whole needs to get past religion but people like you are allowing 'God' to morph with the times. Let him die silently so we can move on.