Do we create our problems?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Cactus Jack, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Another Zen-Master story:

A man goes to a Zen-Master and asks how to be rid of his problems, the Zen-Master says "Why do you for me for such relief? We sweat in the summer and shiver in the winter." Unfortunately the student leaves thinking the master is talking about some fantasy place where people only sweat in the summer and shiver in the winter.

Once Bruce Lee was asked if he believed in God, he replied "I believe in sleep."

Once Brandon Lee was asked what his philosophy was, his response "Eat - or die!"

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ubermich amnesiac . . . Registered Senior Member

hi cactus.

im sorry...are these jokes or serious inquiries? im pretty sure the lee father and son snippet was a joke....

i love bruce lee. hes hilarious....

"do you mind if we...move our man? you know, so we can have more room to.........groove?"

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Well yes the Lee family quotes are funny, but real and present Bruce (and Subsequently Brandon's) philosophies: Both of which tie into the story. Do we create our own problems? Truthfully we are the ones that control our own emotions, besides that which we cannot control we should be able to "bend and survive" or adapt emotionaly to conflict/stress/relationships we creat all emotional issues within ourselves. Now I'm not saying that the person how lives with no money and is a prostitute while her father beats and rapes her...etc. Can do such things, but please consider the quotes and the thoughts.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

Everyone walks on their own path. Sometimes there are well marked paths for you to follow. We may decide to take a side road ie experiment a little because it is genetic. However when you take these side roads, sometimes there are obstacles you must overcome. These obstacles may look like your own making because someone can say that, you could have taken the easy path.

So, in a sense you create your problems though some parts are genetic.