Do People Deserve To Be Poor?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by darksidZz, Apr 6, 2007.

1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

This is a very unique question, it's one I've only just recently begun considering. Based on what you know of society, education, and just general experience do you believe those who are poor deserve their fate. Are they less deserving or useful, an thus less important?

It would be easy to classify the poor as merely useless puppets of their prospective governments but do they have any importance?

Well that's my question, it's a serious one too. Please tell me your opinions.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Like almost everything else, .....some do, some don't.

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Genji Registered Senior Member

Yes. The ruling 1%.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

No it isn't. People have been debating this for centuries.

8. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

"Deserves" is a very relative term. I contend that me getting X by doing nothing while another person works hard to get X does not mean the person working hard deserves it.

That is why I find people that get a good education dumb as hell when they claim they deserve anything beyond the education they got. "I busted my ass in school so I deserve bla bla bla. . ."

Ethics are always debatable, but I would contend that ethically, all people deserve equal rights. All people have the right to have access to good food, water, and many things necessary for a healthy and well balanced life style. All people. Not just the few rich. No obligation. This is the right for all people. I have yet to see any proof that this cannot or should not be the case by all those idiots who claim that people are "obligated" to anything when obligation is the oppsite of freedom.

9. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Balderdash.
    Why should one iota of anything anyone generates via their efforts be given to the likes of you ?

Your definition of "freedom" IS obligation. The obligation to provide for delusional gimps like you, who have created a dream-world in which their so-called "gifts" place them on some higher plane wherein they "deserve" a slice of the good life for no more than farting out some hackneyed vision of a "better world".

Complete, utter, and absolute nonsense.

10. iam Banned Banned

people should get fair compensation for their contributions whatever they may be. For instance, those who work fulltime to support themselves should have wages to provide for their needs not nickel and dime them. Also, those who rely on others for production should pay fair wages. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer is unfair and not productive. Equality not in the strict literal sense is not a bullshit ideal but a necessary goal to attain for the health and productivity of a society. What people don't understand is, unfair disparity causes other problems in society leading from depression, stress, domestic violence, medical problems, and diminishing initiative when people feel they have little control over their lives or the system will always give you the short end of the stick.

Also, i've noticed in many jobs people are not working but backstabbing others or discriminating others from jobs and opportunity. If bs is what wins out, then society should not complain about the unemployed or 'lazy' who don't have jobs. I've experienced this myself, so I work for myself now. The corporations and jazz can hire all the assholes they want. If a society does not provide work for those who want to or they have to deal with harassment then it's their own fault if they lose employees and keep the ones who cause the problems.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Who gets to decide what the poor deserve, would be my question.

What do the children of the poor deserve?

If a culture decides to take public land out of availability, protect its watersheds and forests from destructive exploitation, require public obedience to a variety of laws and regulations benefitting mostly the rich and restricting mostly the poor, do the poor deserve compensation for the loss of opportunity and resource?

12. iam Banned Banned

that's a question of morals but realistically only if the rich gain from the productivity of the poor. If they are self-sustaining, maybe not.

13. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Wealth would be happiness. You could be worth a billion and yet be poor in life. Healthcare, education, food, and residence are advantages, but holding onto those can also be a disadvantage.

The importance of the poor would be measured by what you think is important. Are they people first or simply a tool of productivity? :shrug:

14. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Not from birth.

15. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

What is this "deserve" you speak of? I do not comprehend.

16. orcot Valued Senior Member

forget that let's start with the poor first what's that actualy?

17. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

exactly.to use an (if i may say so myself) SUPERB analogy.

people who are fat because they eat lots of pies deserve to be fat.
    people who are fat because they have a genetic disorder do not.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

A genetic disorder? You mean that a genetic disorder creates fat from nothing, from air? Nope, even people who have a "genetic disorder" are fat because they eat more food, more calories, than their bodies use. Thus, ....they deserve to be fat.

How many Darfur refugees are fat or obese? None, right? So if "genetic disorders" cause fatness, then surely there should be at least a few of 'em who are fat. Hmm, but there ain't, are there?

If you drink too much booze, you get drunk.
    If you eat too much food, you get fat.
    Seems perfectly sensible to me.

Baron Max

19. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

havent been to dafur myself so i cant really say.

genetics definately play a part,some people are more susceptable to gaining weight.

the difference between this :

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

and a normal person cant just be food.

20. iam Banned Banned

^uhm..it is food and other unrealistic lifestyles. If that guy was in a country that didn't feed his ass chained to a bed, he wouldn't be a ton period no matter what his metabolism is. Who the hell is feeding that lazy fuk? Who the hell has the luxury of sitting in an apartment eating enough food for 20 people every day? Where is his income coming from? I bet you that his family members are supporting his ass, gets social security, and his family comes by everyday to cook and feed his ass.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It is within our power to completely eliminate poverty. That we don't should be a source of shame to all humanity.

22. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

He's not chained to the bed, but umm yea that's kinda way big. I'd say the best thought here is a fact, he grew up and likely had been dealing with this condition for some time. It wasn't some instant situation which gained strength but a slowly progressing one... he ate, he grew fatter, but he wasn't eating alot either... he'd continue eating, growing fatter, but still he's not doing anything. If they didn't feed him he'd die, there'd be no chance for his body to loose weight :L

23. iam Banned Banned

If they didn't feed him, he'd die?? He has a whole grocery aisle attached to his body.

They need to drop him off in a desert with a beach umbrella and gatorade and pick him up a month later. He'll still be alive and much lighter.

Some people have poor self-control. If there wasn't so much access to easy greed and food, he couldn't eat. Therefore he couldn't get fat. Just like when you lock up a criminal in prison it's harder to get access to drugs, alcohol, children for pedophiles etc.