Do I need to dock/clip the tail of my Rottweiler puppy

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Saint, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Pinwheel Banned Banned

What better way to learn then by buying one. And cutting it up.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

I wouldnt bother with docking the tail...not that the dog will know it was missing or care, just not something i would do. Not that that should matter just giving my opinion. Just not into it. Now that i think about it, i cant remember if my doggie had a tail or not...oh yeah he did

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Saint Valued Senior Member

if u have Love for your dog, you treat "him" as a family member,
    u will know how to care for it

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

Exactly the wrong way to treat a dog.

A dog should be treated as a dog.

8. Saint Valued Senior Member

I disagree.
    Treat him as human-dog

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

Your disagreement is "silly".

To treat a dog as a human is not good for its development or fulfillment. People that treat dogs as humans hurt their dogs.

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

Wrong, YOU act like top dog when you interact with your dog. First and foremost dogs need discipline, they are pack creatures, amongst other dogs, you need to behave like the alpha wolf, not try to make him behave like a person. The latter will fail, and you will end up with a dog that thinks they are your master. But if you want to fear your dog, have it tear up your furniture, be aggressive, ignore your commands, and generally do what the hell it pleases, when it pleases him, carry on. Or you could pay attention to people here who own dogs, and have spent time training with them in recognised courses, or go on a course yourself, and learn how to look after a dog.

11. Saint Valued Senior Member

I will find info how to discipline Rottweiler.

Can I give my puppy High Calcium Milk to help his bone growth?

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Milk is bad for dogs, cats (and I belive) Japanese and for the same reason, they are all lactose intolerant. If its old enough not to be feeding off mum its old enough to eat meat and bones

13. phlogistician Banned Banned

How about you buy a book about raising a dog? Go on a course? Watch a frikking dvd, but do something to increase your knowledge before you get it all wrong.

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

You accomplish that by YOU learning how to act like the pack Alpha. You do not discipline your dog, you act like a leader, and it will assume a lower role.

15. Saint Valued Senior Member

yes, to be its leader,
    when i walk him outside, it will follow me,
    i call its name, he will come to me.

16. phlogistician Banned Banned

That's the result, not the way to achieve the goal.

17. Saint Valued Senior Member

i check that yoghurt is good for Dogs, but make sure no sugar, plain yoghurt is good,
    give in moderate amount.

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Not if its made from cows milk its not, it has lactose in it.

Pasta, garlic, uncooked bones, red meat (aparently chicken is the penuts of the dog world as far as allergies go) are good. Onions, Choc, dairy products are BAD

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yes, you love him and treat him fairly and care about his health and happiness, and he responds by treating you the same way. But still you can't literally treat him like a person. A dog is not merely "a child who will never grow up." He's a different kind of creature than humans.
    • He needs to be dominated. You have to make sure he unconditionally respects your authority.
    • He needs nearly constant companionship. It's good that you have two dogs because they won't get lonely. Now of course you have to make sure that they don't bond more strongly to each other than to you.
    • He has no time sense. Something that happened five minutes ago might as well have happened on Mars. If there's a puddle of urine on the floor, he has no idea how it got there; you have to catch him in the act before he will understand why you're angry.
    • He has no way to say "goodbye" but a thousand ways to say "hello."
    • Dogs have terrible vision. Even the "keen-eyed" dogs like poodles and retrievers are about 20/80 on the human scale. The others can barely see at all.
    • But they make up for this by having much better hearing than humans. If you see him acting funny it's probably because he can hear something that isn't close enough yet for your ears to pick up. Don't ignore it, it might be a warning!
    • And of course they have a much sharper sense of smell. If you took all the scent receptors in a human nose and laid them out on paper it would be about the size of a paperback book. A dog's receptors would cover an entire sheet of newspaper.
    • He sleeps more than anybody you know, even your no-account lazy Uncle Bob.
    There's not much difference from one breed to another. If you're talking about training him to obey commands like "sit" and "fetch" you need to take him to a class; most of us don't have the skill and wisdom to do it alone. If you're talking about teaching him not to do things you don't like, such as peeing on the floor, the only way to do that is to turn it around and teach him to do the things you do like. Take him outside every hour and give him a chance to pee there. Reward him with lots of affection when he does it. Some people will simply give them a little treat for it, but then you're signed up for a lifetime of little treats, because he will never forget it.

Other things, like getting him not jump up on people, have specific ways of teaching. That one, for example... if he tries to jump up on you, raise your knee parallel to the ground so he can't do it.
    Why do you keep worrying about all these things like bone growth? Dogs are pretty sturdy creatures and 99.999999% of them grow up to be perfectly normal and healthy, without any special concerns. If you feed him high-quality food he will not need extra calcium. Meat is full of all the vitamins and minerals a dog needs: that's what their metabolism is "designed" to thrive on. If you don't think the dog food you buy is good enough, go to a better store where you trust the people who run it and buy the food they recommend. If you're making your own food (and I can't imagine a guy like you doing that), then just make sure there's plenty of meat (not 100%, they don't need that much) and don't add any "empty calories" like flour or tofu.

But to answer your question, no, you should not feed him milk, at least not very much. Most dogs aren't quite as intolerant of it as some other members have implied, so they can usually digest a little bit without a problem. But there's no need for it. He's getting all the calcium he needs in meat.

The only thing you might want to do, as I've advised you before, is to give him some yogurt to maintain the bacteria culture in his intestine. But just a little bit, no more than one teaspoonful per day. But most dogs don't need that. I wouldn't advise it unless you see him having digestion trouble, and the first symptom is eating poop to scavenge the bacteria out of it. On the other hand some dogs just love poop and no matter how healthy they are you can't get them to stop.
    Empty calories. Unless you're raising a dog to pull a sled in Alaska or to perform in the circus, he doesn't need all that starch.
    There's your extra calcium! And make sure they are mammal bones. Bird bones kill hundreds of dogs every year.
    That's something I've never heard. We've had probably 25 dogs over the years and they all ate chicken with no problems.
    The theobromine in chocolate that is a psychoactive drug for humans (and also a mild vasodilator if you have high blood pressure) is a POISON for dogs. It's not usually fatal, although there are recorded cases of dogs dying after eating chocolate. But it can make them very sick. Dogs will eat anything and they love sweets, but don't ever let a dog have chocolate. You shouldn't really give them any kind of dessert. Dogs can get fat just like humans.

20. birch Valued Senior Member

what a hypocrite.

in the other thread, you were scoffing at even the idea that the sense of self as being real and the concept of a soul.

somehow cruelty is something you want others to just take at face value but all the myriad clues, feelings and experiences that we have a soul and sense of self is not enough for you.

idiot!

21. Saint Valued Senior Member

Reply to Fraggle:

I bought dog's food from supermarket, not from pet shop, because I can't afford too expensive food, mostly I bought Pedigree, you can check its website:
    http://uk.pedigree.com/

My dogs, both of them are intelligent, the piss inside kennel, but they seldom shit inside unless they really can't hold it. I took them out for a short walk early morning 5:30am before going to work, sometimes they shit this time, if not, when come back to work, at 5pm I took them out for walk again, they will shit.

I feed them with dry and wet food, I also cook chicken/beef (just boil with water) for them, boneless.
    Recently I cook Fish for them, also make sure 100% boneless, they also eat.

The rottweiler appetite is big, bigger than shihtzu a lot,
    he eats a lot more and I give him food more often, 4 times a day, and he shits at least twice a day.

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

FR our dog has bad skin alergies and origionally we were feeding her just chicken but the vet told us that chicken is the most common food alergen for dogs. Sadly both Maltese and Lhasa aspsos have the potential for bad skin alergies which means the poor thing gets it from both sides

23. Saint Valued Senior Member

How about lamb and beef, which is better?
    Pork ok or not?