Do I need to dock/clip the tail of my Rottweiler puppy

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Saint, Apr 2, 2011.

1. birch Valued Senior Member

yes, tail docking for certain breeds is a common practice but many people decide not to do that because they know it's unnecessary. i guess you can call it becoming more enlightened. that's the dog's tail and it uses it to express itself. whaddya know? how novel. like they didn't realize this before.

some people see it as a form of cosmetic surgery. heck, maybe some dogs would like having no tail and feel superior to the ones who have one. j/k

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Saint Valued Senior Member

it is all decided by human, not the dog,
    as long as we don't inflict severe pain on dogs, it is ok.
    Since AKC allows it, we shall not argue anymore,
    let the dog's owners decide,
    we must respect people's decision.

Don't critisize people is cruel.
    We know dog does not talk, nor other animals like horse,
    if horse can talk, he might object being ridden on its back.
    This is only hypothesis,
    let us do our best not to incur prolonged pain on the pets,
    we ask professional Vet to do it. Things will be ok.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

Saint, why do you bother asking questions, when you have already made your mind up?

DO NOT DOCK THE TAIL.

It is an anachronistic procedure. It IS cruel. Dogs DO NOT LOOK NICER without a tail.

The dog's life IS AFFECTED. I have dogs, they express a lot through their tail. If you remove it, they cannot communicate so easily, and you cannot read their mood. DO NOT REMOVE THE TAIL.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

Yep, in the UK it was banned for all bar three working breeds some years ago, and then you have to prove it's going to be a working dog. Also, docked dogs cannot be shown in dog shows.

Saint is just a cruel monster if he thinks it's OK to mutilate his dog.

8. birch Valued Senior Member

phlog, please bottle up "cruelty" in a lab so i can see your proof. thanks a bunch.

9. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Is Saint even for real? Take a glance at his most recent threads.

He gets a shih tzu, and asks which breed of dog is most "fierce." So he gets a rottweiler and purportedly ponders whether or not to dock his tail (though it is clear that he had already made up his mind). Of course, he and his wife also want to make a "baby girl." Then he abandons his wife (and two children, presumably), and commences his life as an "unmarried man" who sleeps with prostitutes. All the while he fantasizes about pissing and shitting on people.

10. Pinwheel Banned Banned

LOL! Though he'll probably not be the strangest poster on sciforum.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

What kind of cages, and why? That is something people do when they are away from home at work all day, and their puppies are too young to be trustworthy. It is your job to housebreak your dogs: to train them that it is only okay to urinate and defecate outside the house. After about six months they should be completely trained. If you don't know someone who can explain the method for housebreaking, there is a lot of information on the internet. It's a little too long to post here.

In any case, no dog should be confined to a cage (we call them kennels, not cages), except when being shipped to a new location. Dogs need to be active, especially a Rottweiler. Confining him in a kennel every day is cruel and uncomfortable, and he will react by not liking you.

It's very important for your two dogs to become bonded companions, because they are members of the same family. One will assume dominance (usually the large one but sometimes dogs surprise us) but that's not a problem. You need to introduce them to each other and teach them to play together while they are still puppies. If they develop bad habits when they're young, it will be extremely difficult to correct.
    Dogs reach about 90% of their adult size and weight in one year. In six months he will be roughly 75%.
    Absolutely not! Birds' bones are hollow to make them light enough to fly, even though chickens don't fly any more. This makes them very fragile, so when the dog chews on them they splinter, and pieces get stuck in their throat. Dogs can die from this. Never give a dog a bird bone, raw or cooked.
    Many things were once considered proper, and we now realize they were cruel and evil. Remember slavery? Honor killings? Female mutilation? Polygamy? Just because our ancestors did something does not make it right.

Tail docking is not the worst thing you can do to a dog, and I do not actively campaign against it because I only have a finite amount of time and energy. I concentrate on more urgent problems like ending war, racism, and discrimination against women. Nonetheless I do agree that tail docking is wrong and I do not respect people who do it.
    Yes, he will use an anesthetic so the dog feels no pain during surgery, and if he does a very good job the dog will feel only little discomfort for a short time after the surgery.

But it's still a stupid, pointless thing to do. The practice was initiated because Rottweilers were used for work on farms and their tails would get caked with mud, making them heavy and uncomfortable, and even causing infection. This was 2,000 years ago. You are not going to do this with your dog, so you have no reason to do something that was done 2,000 years ago.
    It was started by the Romans. They also kept slaves, treated women as second-class citizens, and killed people who were not faithful to Jesus.

Are you going to do those things too?
    We will all believe this when I see it! Preparing a dog for the show circuit is grueling work and a tremendous commitment of time and money. You have to groom him constantly so his fur is perfect, and you have to train him to walk properly, sit absolutely still, not bark, and allow the judge to touch various parts of his body to check his bone structure--and all of this while lots of people are watching and making noise!

You don't strike me as a person who has enough self-discipline to do this.
    If the Malaysian Kennel Association does not require Rottweiler tails to be docked, then the judges don't care and they will not reject him for it. The American Kennel Club does require it, so our Rottweiler breeders have no choice. You do!
    Not if it's not required by the association.
    American Kennel Club.
    You don't have to remind me that my country is a curious mix of highly advanced civilization and utter barbarity.
    It's just inertia. Everyone is used to seeing them that way. Just like in the early 20th century, everyone was used to seeing female humans covered from neck to toe and they were outraged when they started wearing more fashionable, comfortable clothing.
    That's not true. Horses have been bred for about five thousand years to be strong enough to carry passengers without discomfort or injury.

During that time we have only succeeded in developing one breed of dog that has no tail, the Pembroke Welsh Corgi, and even they are not consistently tailless.
    That's like saying that since it is torture to take a dolphin out of the water, the kindest thing I could do for you is to throw you into the ocean.

Besides, as I said before, horses have been fully adapted to riding, in several thousand generations of selective breeding.

12. John99 Banned Banned

Originally Posted by Saint
    you ride the horse on its back for its whole life, is more painful than cutting off its fingers or tail. ”

Originally Posted by Fraggle:That's not true. Horses have been bred for about five thousand years to be strong enough to carry passengers without discomfort or injury.

He is probably right about that. All thing considered. I dont agree with it at all, docking the tails, but i am sure some horses, especially when they are young or old, would experience discomfort from being ridden on.

13. Saint Valued Senior Member

most people here object tail docking.
    anyway, i guess there are people who own Rottweilers and docked it, but dare to say a word of support.

Ok, thanks for those who replied sincerely.
    I can only promise I will not hurt the dog.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The problem young horses have is that they are pack-social animals (like humans, dogs, gorillas, lions and several other species) so they all have the alpha (pack leader) instinct to a greater or lesser extent. Young animals of pack-social species usually play dominance games as preparation for adulthood. A horse would automatically resist the domination of any other creature, but to be dominated by a tiny one like a human is very embarrassing, so they resist it very strenuously.

Full-size horses bred specifically for riding weigh 1,500-2,200lb (700-1,000kg). To carry a creature on their back that has only 10-15% of their own mass is no hardship, especially since they've been "designed" for it. The equipment and protective gear humans carry in many sports weighs more than that.
    There are hundreds of dog breeds. If you pick any one, the probability is high that no one at all on SciForums has one. Lhasa Apsos are very popular in America because they're not very active and don't mind being left alone for long periods, and as far as I know I'm the only person here who has one. Fortunately Mrs. Fraggle and I have ten of them, so we're doing our best to keep the average up.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. birch Valued Senior Member

what?? lmao

16. Saint Valued Senior Member

this thread is solved,
    moderator can close it.

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

FR incorrect, I have a Lhasa apsos cross Maltese

18. phlogistician Banned Banned

How about I demonstrate cruelty, by tying you up and stubbing cigarettes out on you?

We all know what cruelty is, so stop being obtuse.

19. phlogistician Banned Banned

Docking is harming the dog. Do NOT dock the tail.

20. Saint Valued Senior Member

ok, i may not dock its tail,
    now hesitating.

21. Mr MacGillivray Banned Banned

I don't think you should have a dog. You seem to know very little about dogs.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Now that has got to be the most bizarre hybrid I've ever encountered. We have had both.
    • Maltese are highly intelligent, very energetic and agile, have very good eyesight (for a dog, about 20/80 on the human scale), love everybody, work as circus performers, like lots of company, and regard you as lord and master.
    • Lhasa Apsos have the IQ of a sack of hammers, can sit on a sofa for hours, are legally blind, love their family but are suspicious of everyone else, work as watchdogs, don't play well with others and tolerate long periods of solitude, and regard you as a really nice roommate who buys all the food.
    In other words, Maltese are dogs for dog lovers, Lhasa Apsos are dogs for cat people.

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Yes you said that before and she is bipolar

mostly she is grumpy and lazy and hates everyone but my partner And myself but then for no reason at all she goes psycotic and runs around in circles like a puppy. She is normally a good guard dog except for one time when my sister in law let herself in and stood at the door of pb and my bedroom. I knew she was coming so I wasn't concerned to hear someone banging around but the dog freaked out and it took a hour to calm her down again.