Do I need to dock/clip the tail of my Rottweiler puppy

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Saint, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Not just that, they use it for balance especially when they run.

Do not mutilate your Rottweiler for aesthetics (makes them look scary). Not if you love him/her.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

So now you have a shizi ("shih tzu") and a rottweiler? In a country where dogs are hated by the religious leaders and killed by the police for simply not being licensed? You must be a real dog lover! That's great. Each of your dogs will be grateful to have a companion.
    This is the only website I could find that explains why the practice originated--two thousand years ago in a much different time. So if your dog is not going to be working on a farm in rainy fields where his tail will become caked with mud, you don't need to dock it. If the surgery is performed by a competent veterinarian, with anesthesia, it probably won't cause the dog any serious pain, certainly not any permanent pain. But unless you're going to take him to dog shows there's absolutely no reason to do it. It's illegal in Australia, Mexico, and a growing number of other countries, so don't worry about it. We would not do that to any of our dogs, even if we were raising one of the breeds in which it's common. Not even necessarily for humane reasons, but just because it looks stupid.

We once had an enormous dog (an Anatolian) with an intact tail, and when she came in to be with us at Christmastime and got really happy, she'd wag her enormous tail and knock the ornaments off of our Christmas tree and break them. Since you don't celebrate Christmas in Malaysia, you won't have to worry about that.
    Birds have a reflex center in back, right below their neck, that can control the wing muscles. If a bird is startled or frightened, a fraction of a second could make the difference between life and death, so the reflex center takes over and starts the wings flapping before the brain can process the information and give a command to the wings. This is the reason every pet bird should have the flight feathers on his wing (the long ones) trimmed asymmetrically. If something unexpected happens and you have a window open, and he hasn't practiced flying around the neighborhood, he can be halfway down the block with absolutely no idea of how he got there or how to get back, before he can regain conscious control of his flight.

Leaving one side longer than the other allows him to descend to the floor in a spiral without crashing if he falls off of a perch, but he won't be able to fly in a straight line.

So anyway, having your head cut off is quite a shock. What usually happens to a chicken in this situation is that the reflex center takes over and flaps the wings. Since domestic chickens can't get enough lift to actually get off the ground, he just wanders around at ground level with the wings providing just enough lift to keep him from falling over.

When I was about eleven my parents decided to start a chicken farm in the back yard, so I've seen this many times.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Saint Valued Senior Member

The shihtzu (named Lucas) does not want to befriend rottweiler (named Bluto), but they don't fight.
    I put them into separate cages.

How many months it take for a Rotty to grow big like a fierce dog? My uncle said about 6 months, true?

8. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I don't think our [ENC]Rottie[/ENC] had a tail.

9. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

saint,

promise me you won't do it. please. certainly this thread has helped in making your decision?

also, "fierce" is not good. kind, loyal, and loving is good. isn't that right? why would you want a fierce dog?

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

it's a guy thing.

11. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

ADJECTIVE:
    fiercĀ·er, fiercĀ·est
    Having a savage and violent nature; ferocious. See Synonyms at cruel.
    Extremely severe or violent; terrible: "the fierce thunders roar me their music" (Ezra Pound).
    Extremely intense or ardent: fierce loyalty. See Synonyms at intense.
    Strenuously active or resolute: a fierce attempt to escape.
    Informal Very difficult or unpleasant: a fierce exam.
    Savage or threatening in appearance.

it's a violent thing, and real men aren't violent.

12. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Beg to differ.

13. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

First of all, I echo the sentiments already expressed regarding tail docking. Now, onto this:
    Perhaps I shouldn't even ask (as I suspect I will not like the answer), but could you elaborate upon this? Specifically, when are they put into cages and for what length of time?

I believe that shih tzus can fare well without an exorbitant amount of physical and mental activities or stimuli, but rottweilers tend to favor some considerable activity--in both departments. While not the most active breed, rotties certainly rank amongst the more active breeds, hence the descriptor: working dog.

For comparison: my dog, my previous dogs, foster dogs, and many of my students are/were heelers. Heelers and border collies are perhaps the most active dogs. Daisy demands at least two hours of strenuous activity every day, which includes running alongside a bicycle between 5 and 10 miles at a pace exceeding 10 mph/16 kph. (Of course, she didn't commence this degree of exercise until she was past one year of age to allow for adequate bone development.) Additionally, she demands a fair bit of a daily mental workout: developing new games and methods for manipulating people, expanding her vocabulary, etc. Without this, she tends towards a pissy mood; whereas other dogs will "act out," behave somewhat violently or destructively, or simply become neurotic and depressed.

I'm confident that most rottweilers can be happy and well-adjusted with a good deal less than Daisy, but they still need a lot of work.

14. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

I KNOW! that's because you have some irritating arguing compulsion, but i actually copied and pasted that quote out of a dictionary.

15. Saint Valued Senior Member

I made a mistake, after feeding my Rottweiler with chicken, i took him out and running, 20 min, and he suddenly vomited out all the food.

We human after food shall not do extreme exercise, I am really stupid to make this mistake.

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Maybe you didn't notice that the portions I quoted have nothing whatsoever to do with violence.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

You need to research this more before you harm your pets. Do not feed him raw chicken. Do not feed him the bones, that will kill him painfully. There are a lot of things that humans eat but will harm dogs - you should find out what those are and avoid letting your dogs eat them.

Feed him after the run, not before. Otherwise you may kill him by flipping his stomach. Please research this stuff.

My 90 pound 3 year old American Field Yellow Labrador requires 10 miles a day running, lots of play time with her toys and sticks - tug o war, fetch, and the like - as well as lots of love and affection, attention and grooming. That makes her mild tempered, loving and easy to get along with. Also minimizes problems like tearing stuff up and digging holes in the yard. I let her dig in specific places and give her things to tear up. If she digs in a place I don't want her to dig, I fill the hole and place a few pieces of poop on top. I give her the bag that my bread is in when I go to the bakery. She rips it up and makes a lot of noise with it as she destroys it. When she is done and goes outside, I pick up the mess.

18. Saint Valued Senior Member

My Rotty is ok now, he rested for 3 hours and I gave him dog's canned food,
    his appetite is good.
    This evening I took him out for a short walk, he did not vomit anymore.
    I know how to avoid the same mistake in the future.

Will do more reading online to know how to take good care of my dog.

19. Saint Valued Senior Member

The chicken I fed was dog's canned chicken, not raw chicken.
    Next time when i prepare my own chicken bought from market, I will boil it and peel off the flesh only without any bone and feed him.

"No bone for puppy", when it grows to be adult, a bit bone like chicken neck shall be ok.

20. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

I also noticed that the portions you left out did.

21. Saint Valued Senior Member

Rotty is naturally good to its master's family, as every dog does;
    on the other hand, it is a fierce guard dog, it is alert to environment,
    any intruder will get his bite, this is good when nobody is at home and some bad guys try to break into your house; if they met your Rotty, surely their balls will be separated from their bodies. haha

22. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Beside the point.
    The definition YOU provided showed that although it CAN be related to violence it is not exclusively so related.

23. Saint Valued Senior Member