Do I need to dock/clip the tail of my Rottweiler puppy

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Saint, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Saint Valued Senior Member

I will cook cabbage and feed my rottweiler.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. birch Valued Senior Member

for someone who doesn't have much time, you sure seem to try to find ways to make things more time-consuming.

you don't have to cook food for dogs. you can get good pet food at the store, wet and dry. they even have food that is refrigerated now.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Saint Valued Senior Member

Food in petshop contains preservative, artificial coloring etc.
    Home cooked food is the best.
    Right now I mix both types of food for my dog.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

The best food for a dog is raw meat ONLY, with small bones in. They can eat guts and stuff a butcher throws away, but they need bones or a bone meal supplement.

If you have to feed cooked food, feed ONLY cooked though, because mixing raw and cooked can make the dog sick.

Brown rice is easier for the dog to digest than other grains.
    Be careful with COOKED bones, the dog can choke and die.

Dogs can eat almost anything but they need meat and bones, either whole and raw, or cooked and ground up very fine.

NEVER feed a dog chocolate, it can kill them. Garlic, I was told by my vet, is not good for them.

Have you taken your dogs to the veterinarian? Your dogs will need shots and heartworm preventive pills.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Rgarlic is ok but onions are toxic

9. birch Valued Senior Member

ridiculous. there is also crap in the food you eat and there is crap in meat unless you buy organic. are you feeding your dogs strictly organic meat? lmao. if you want to spend time cooking your dogs three meals a day, then that's you and other crazy people who have that kind of time. i'm not talking about purina chow though the one formula is better. there are very high quality premium and even organic brands of dog food at pet stores.

a good pet food will have protein as the first and even second ingredient (not meal protein or corn), some will even include vegetables. there is a lot of variety out there and some very specialized formulas and they are going to be more nutritionally balanced for the dog than what you may feed them. even regular stores carry some of it but you will definitely find a lot at pet stores. i think it's stupid to cook for your dogs specifically unless they are sick.

you barely have time to walk them or spend time with them and you are talking about cooking for them. don't you also have kids? are you going to devote most of your time to your dogs?

all in all, you make no fuking sense. you seem to be a person with little to no common sense either.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

We had a German Shepherd/Rottie that we got as a few days old pup... had its tail docked (had a local anesthesia used), but for a pretty good reason - last dog we had had a bad habit of knocking my little brother in the face/eyes with his tail (he was, I think 3-4 at the time we got the new one). He never seemed to have problems getting his intentions across without a tail... but then again, this dog was smart enough to housebreak itself, learn commands, literally, the second or third time you issue them, and even taught himself to open the door to the back yard whenever he needed to go out (and eventually learned to CLOSE the door on his way back in)...

*sighs* I miss that dog... never seen one as intelligent as him since...

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

There are plenty of premium brands of pet food that do not contain preservatives or artificial colors. I buy Dogswell.

Besides, arguably the worst ingredients in dog food come from the meat that's in it. Livestock are dosed up with hormones and antibiotics, and it's still in their meat after being slaughtered. These things are not good for us, and they're not good for our dogs.

They're also not good for plants. This is why you should never allow pet feces to stay on your lawn. If it soaks in, the preservatives and antibiotics will kill the nitrogen-fixing bacteria in the soil, basically sterilizing it and making it difficult for anything to grow there.

I don't know how livestock are farmed in Malaysia; perhaps you still have family farms instead of the "factory farms" that have taken over the USA. If so, they may not use as many antibiotics and hormones as the factories use. In the USA, most of the antibiotics manufactured by the pharmaceutical companies are given to livestock, not humans. And they use hormone supplements to increase their growth.

12. Saint Valued Senior Member

yes, it was vaccinated once.
    will take him to vaccinate for second time this month.

13. Saint Valued Senior Member

Does this imply that the food in USA is not safe to be consumed by humans?

14. Saint Valued Senior Member

If a burglar offers your dog poisoned food, will your dog eat it?
    How to train dog not to eat anything from stranger?

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's not that so much. The problem is that the heavy use of antibiotics by the livestock industry has resulted in the evolution of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
    My dogs? Yes indeed.
    There are two things that are so difficult to train a dog to do, that even the professional trainers aren't always successful.
    • 1. Don't bark.
    • 2. Don't eat everything you find that appears to be edible.
    Unlike wolves, dogs are scavengers like bears, hyenas and coyotes. Their instinct is to eat absolutely everything they find that does not eat them first.

If you're worried that your neighbors are going to toss poisoned food into your yard in order to kill your dogs, you have one hell of a big problem. Sorry I don't know any way I can help you with that.

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i second that FR, my dog has an allergy problem so she is on a special diet that works quite well. The problem is that she will eat ANYTHING she can get, the cats food, anything that falls on the floor, plastic wrappers from choc or lollies. Its a bloody pain in the neck

edit to add, the "apears to be edible" apears more vollentry than mandiatory. Eats anything that doesnt eat them comes closer

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Lilalena Registered Senior Member

So do they actually eat mice and birds or just kill them for sport?

My now easy-going relaxed dalmatian jumped up once and in an instant 2 birds were cut in half, their parts all over the ground. It was shocking.

Also I found a dead mouse with its skin off next to her favourite sleeping spot one day.

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Dogs regard anything small and fast-moving as a toy. They'll be perfectly friendly with your budgie, but if something startles him and (with his clipped flight feathers) he starts flying away about one foot above floor level, they will immediately forget that this is their little buddie Herman and they'll chase after him like a squeaky toy.

In my experience, once a well-fed pet dog has killed a small animal he won't usually start immediately to eat it. He'll probably continue to play with it. If it's Herman he might start barking, "Hey everybody, come quick! Something dreadful has happened to Herman and he needs your help. How could this happen in our peaceful household?"

Even cats kill for fun and don't usually eat their kill. It's been estimated that cats kill half a billion birds a year in the United States alone, and they have become the leading threat to the survival of several species. Cats should never be allowed outside their house unless they have two bells--they can always find a way to mute one bell. And organizations that support the survival of feral cat colonies may love cats, but apparently they hate birds.

19. phlogistician Banned Banned

Ha, point 2 might need an addendum: 'to a dog'!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Mine eat Goose poo when we take them around the local nature reserve. They have no interest in chasing the birds, but they will try to get a little snack.

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

All canids eat feces because they have extremely short intestinal tracts and the extra bacteria aids their digestion. They're the only predators who eat their entire kill, including the intestines and their contents. They even scavenge the leftovers from other predators' kills.

It helps to add live yogurt to a dog's diet. Especially if he eats cheap commercial food that is full of preservatives, which kill his intestinal flora. Not to mention it's probably made from factory-farmed meat that's laced with antibiotics.

Don't ever try to use dog poop as fertilizer, it will more likely sterilize your soil.

21. Saint Valued Senior Member

I read in newspaper that burglar threw poisoned food on the yard and let the dog eat first before breaking into the house.
    The dog get poisoned and died on the spot or it was made powerless to bark aloud and fight intruders.
    Basically, dogs do not resist food from strangers.

22. phlogistician Banned Banned

Yeah, on a related note, we found the carcass of a dead Goose at the local nature reserve recently, we could tell it hadn't been eaten by a fox, as they pretty much just leave the wings (this looks a little odd, a disembodied pair of wings laying about).

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

All burglars know that. Just because they want to steal your stuff doesn't mean they want to kill your dog. Some of them just give him a really large, meaty bone that will keep him occupied while they are walking through your house, looking for the safe.

But in your country, where the old-fashioned people think dogs are too "dirty" to have in your house, I wouldn't know what to expect.

BTW, back at the beginning of this discussion you expressed disbelief when told that some people eat dogs. There's been a big story in the news for a week about a truck driver in China who was transporting about forty dogs to a butcher, to be sold as food. Traffic doesn't move very fast in China, so once one person found out about it he got all of his friends together and they stopped the truck.

They resolved the problem in the classic Chinese way: They simply bought all the dogs and everyone went home happy.