Do I need to dock/clip the tail of my Rottweiler puppy

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Saint, Apr 2, 2011.

1. phlogistician Banned Banned

Yes there is, you are just too cruel to see it.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. birch Valued Senior Member

please put me on ignore. i think you have poor reading comprehension and logic. i was not enabling anything. besides, you may cook food for your dogs or perhaps even read them bedtime stories but my point to saint was that is not necessary. you can feed them very nutritious dog food from a pet store and you can also give them water that everyone else in the house drinks without boiling it etc. i just thought a lot of this was ridiculous.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. birch Valued Senior Member

maybe he is. anyways, you have two dogs, right? that means they won't be lonely throughout the day. most people only have one dog.

you just need to work out feeding/walking schedule and keep up with their deworming, flea control and veterinary checkups. go to a petsmart and get a book on taking care of your dogs or ask questions there. also, most supplies you need you can pick up there. there is also a lot of care you can do on your own that don't require veterinary assistance.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2011
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

A dog's tail is actually a cancerous tumor. It should be removed as soon as possible. With a chainsaw. :bugeye:

8. birch Valued Senior Member

also, another thing to consider is who is going to walk your dog throughout the day with that schedule? you don't have a yard do you? without a yard, the dog can't get exercise or use the potty except in the house. this is unrealistic to have such a dog in your circumstances unless you hire a dog walker while you are not there. you could hire a dog walker that you trust that can have access to your house, otherwise owning such a large breed is not feasible in the long-term especially with your schedule and housing.

your two problems are your schedule and/or your type of housing for that type of dog.

9. Saint Valued Senior Member

10. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Why do you want to give your dog expired supplements?

11. birch Valued Senior Member

this is what i mean, he is playing dumb. why would someone ask if expired food is okay? it doesn't make sense.

12. phlogistician Banned Banned

Nope. You just don't explain yourself very well.

Nobody said Saint had to boil his dog's water did they, except Saint?

13. Saint Valued Senior Member

Filtered water is good enough for dog.
    Expired Nutrilite is still alright, it does not turn bad at this moment.
    I gave it to my Rottweiler for his protein intake.
    I just mixed a spoonful into his food. So far so good.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Pinwheel Banned Banned

I feel sorry for your dog.

15. Saint Valued Senior Member

I feel sorry for you.

16. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Poor puppy.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Maybe we misunderstood him. Perhaps in his country the tap water isn't safe for humans so they boil it for their own use. In that case I would boil the water for my pets just to be safe. Sure, dogs are four-legged trash compactors and garbage is their favorite special treat, in fact the reason they came to live with us in the first place was all the perfectly good food we left lying on the ground. But in a poorly managed urban water system there can be thingies that a dog's metabolism has never heard of. I certainly wouldn't let my dogs drink the water in Mexico, except for a couple of cities that get really clean spring water. My wife got dysentery twice in one trip.

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Rottweilers are not one of the fiercest dog breeds by nature. Since they're big and strong and have that intimidating look, a lot of people train them to be guard dogs, but remember that they were originally developed to be working dogs, pulling plows and wagons. A couple of those dogs on your list make a Rottweiler look like an overgrown Maltese. The American pitbull terrier is notorious for violence, because it was originally bred for dogfights. They're not supposed to attack people, but some of them have such bad bloodlines that they're mean to almost anything that moves. And even the nicest of them might kill a smaller dog or a cat. Several of my friends have pitbulls and they're sweet as pie with me, but I never take my Lhasa Apsos to meet them.

In my observation, simply from following the news, I'd say the Presa Canario, originally developed in the Canary Islands as a fighting dog, is the meanest dog on earth, and it isn't even on your list! Two of them killed an adult human in San Francisco, and one woman was killed by her own dog in Florida. They're illegal in Australia and New Zealand.

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Look how happy I am without a tail!

20. Saint Valued Senior Member

As I said before, my tap water is filtered, it is safe for my dog to consume.

21. Saint Valued Senior Member

Shall dog eat Vegetables? Two types of opinion here:

My Rottweiler eats vegetables.
    I believe vegetables could be good to their digestive system as it is good to human too.

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Nothing wrong with that. My wife puts carrots and onions in the dog food.

However, dogs cannot digest raw vegetables. They don't have the enzymes and bacteria to do it, the way cattle and horses do in their huge stomachs and long intestines. A cow spends many days digesting its food and excreting it. A dog does it in about six hours. So giving them a raw carrot or a raw pepper is about the same as giving them a piece of plastic. It goes out the same as it went in.

If you really want them to have vegetables, make sure they're cooked, otherwise you're wasting your money.

Fruits are digestible because they are not loaded with indigestible cellulose. They have a few vitamins and minerals, but they are mostly sugar so you don't really want to give too much fruit to a dog.
    You're not even trying to understand the biology of your animals. That's one of the things that frustrates us and why so many members are angry at you.

Dogs and humans have a much different digestive system. What's good for one is not necessarily good for the other. Humans have a relatively long intestine; a dog's is about half a meter long. Food doesn't stay in it long enough to undergo complicated processing. They can digest protein, sugar and starch. That's about it!

These days humans eat so much fiber that we usually excrete our food within one or two days after eating it. But in the past, before modern plumbing was invented, people routinely had bowel movements only once a week. They did not eat high-fiber bread, high-fiber breakfast cereal, a dinner loaded down with six kinds of high-fiber vegetables, and high-fiber fruit for dessert.

Their food stayed in their bodies a long time. A dog can't do that!

This is a science forum. We all really wish you would put a little more effort into understanding the science we're trying to teach you. But you ignore almost everything everyone says, even when we're just trying to answer your own questions and give you the help you request. This is not the way to earn the respect you want.

23. John99 Banned Banned

Should dogs eat raw vegetables?