do christian nations have a higher rate of ophidiophobia

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by pjdude1219, Jan 27, 2008.

1. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

i'm not sure this is the right place for this. do christian nations have a higher rate of ophidiophobia? i mean i have tried researching this but got nothing and i have been wondering about this for a while

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Till Eulenspiegel Registered Member

I doubt it. Fear of snakes seems to be ingrained and not the result of the Garden of Eden story. People who are not Christian tend to; also fear snakes while some Charismatic Christians as well as some Hindus handle snakes easily.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Fear of snakes is a survival trait in an arboreal species, which all of our ancestors were up until a couple of million years ago. Snakes are the only predators that can do a really excellent job of sneaking up on you in a tree.

Birds have it really bad. If I drag a garden hose across the lawn and one of our parrots sees it (and they always do, they're programmed to notice), they all go berserk.

Every religion is an embellished collection of archetypes, instinctive memories that were programmed into our synapses during evolution. That's the reason they're so hard to combat: They feel true. Many of them, such as virgin birth or a man coming back from the dead, are difficult to imagine how we ended up with them. But ophidiophobia is an easy one. Primates that don't fear snakes will be culled from the gene pool.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

One of the striking features of various Christian missionaries into the jungles and bush of Mexico and Central America has been and is their obliviousness to the danger of snakes (and scorpions, etc), according to a Mayan acquaintance of mine.

The people who live in those places have much more fear of snakes than they see in visitors from the cold North. Of course, actually having known someone who was killed or horribly maimed by a snakebite would probably sharpen anyone's alertness.

Hillerman's recounting of "The man who had so many friends, he couldn't get no work done" probably summarizes a common local attitude, among non-Christians and Christians alike.

edit: in here http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0060937122.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Isn't there a Christian group that use snakes in their worship? Like an Appalacian group?