Do Arab women date non-Arab Muslims?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by pluto2, Nov 1, 2008.

1. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

What is Arab law or custom regarding dating and marriage? Do Arab women only date Arab Muslims or also Muslims who are not Arabs?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

There is no dating in Islam.

Many Arab women marry Non-Arabs Muslims.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Thats sounds correct...its probably more like arranging a business partnership.

Wealthier men can afford more partners.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, marriage is a legal contract in Islam. The monetary arrangements are all made before the marriage is conducted. You can theoretically opt out if you want to. A period of iddat [40 days] is required before another marriage is conducted, but with modern pregnancy kits that should probably be cast aside. There are no regulations regarding age or frequency of marriage as long as its one at a time. For a second marriage, you need permission of the first spouse. Women do not marry two spouses, though it is not explicitly forbidden.

And yeah, Arab women date non-Arab men. They must since they are marrying them.

They are currently prohibited to do so without permission in Saudi Arabia

but parents would rather they marry foreigners than not at all

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  8. Eidolan Registered Senior Member

It probably varies between different Arab cultures in different countries. For example, in the Middle East, they are probably less likely to date you; however, if you go to say, France, which has millions of Arab Muslim immigrants, you can probably find a date there because they will have fused with French culture to some extent.

Of course, I really have no clue.

9. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

In Israel, do Arab women also date Jewish men? Then why do my parents tell me that an Arab woman will never date me?

10. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

The situation in Palestien is not conducive to this union. Many Palestinians bear a grudge against Israelis for them evicting them from their lands. That is why. Also, Islamically Muslim women aren't supposed to date men, this concept is foreign to us. Marriage is the only type of union recognized in Islam between a man and woman.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Probably, but its difficult. I have Jewish friends and I don't see why an Arab woman would particularly NOT date a Jewish guy [I'm assuming you are a Jewish guy].

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6405799.stm

http://sabbah.biz/mt/archives/2007/04/02/israeli-racism

12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I've dated a fair few and so the answer is "yes". Only one seemed conservative to me, though. Why is this in Human Science?

13. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

Why is it difficult?

14. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

My parents say that the mentality between Jews and Arabs is very different therefore any relationship between a Jewish man and an Arab woman is doomed to fail. They say that Israeli Arab women will virtually never date Jewish men.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

because they are at war?

Maybe you're right. All the Jewish men I know are like me, but I'm not Arab.:shrug:

16. ScyentsIzLief Banned Banned

Yes they do.

17. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Why would a Jew want to marry an Arab Muslim?

The philosophies in life are night and day difference...

The only way it could work is if neither of you believed anything you were taught as children.

Just to note...I think it's more likely for a Jewish man to date a Muslim woman than a Jewish woman date a Muslim man.

18. Bells Staff Member

Why not?

You are letting your prejudice get ahead of you.

Both are human beings. Both have feelings and both are able to decide for themselves who they are attracted to. Religion shouldn't matter.

You mean if they weren't taught to hate, then it could work?

Either or, really.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The reality is the other way around. More Jewish women marry Muslim men. Especially in places like Egypt, Syria, Israel. In fact, while Jewish women convert to Islam to marry Muslims quite often [3000 since the founding of Israel in Israel], the reverse is not true. Muslim women who marry Jewish men usually retain their religion. For some reason, Muslims are more likely to convert to Christinity than Judaism. Maybe because Judaism is too much like Islam.

20. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

The hope of forgiveness can be a strong pull on anyone. How often do muslim women have casual relations beyond friendship with married christian men, would be my question.

21. pluto2 Banned Valued Senior Member

But what about Muslim women marrying Jewish men? Why does it almost never happen?

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If you're asking traditionally, its for two reasons.

1. Its not considered taboo for Muslim men to marry Christians or Jews, while for a woman to marry outside her community is difficult, simply because most fathers do not want their daughters married to "strangers"

2. In Jews, Jewishness follows from the mother and that alone will discourage a non-Jewish wife for most Jewish men.

I think with greater economic autonomy for women and greater latitude in society, you'll see more Muslim women marrying Jewish men. In terms of religious belief, there is really not much difference between the two, so there are no religious constraints on such a marriage. At least from the Muslim side of things

Amanar-rasulu bima unzila ilayhi min rabbihi wal-muminun
    Kullun amana billahi wa mala ikatihi wa kutubihi wa rusulih
    La nufarriqu bayna ahadin min rusulih (2:285)

The Apostle, and the believers with him,
    believe in what has been bestowed upon him from on high
    by his Sustainer: they all believe in God, and His angels,
    and His revelations, and His apostles,
    making no distinction between any of His apostles

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  23. Roman Banned Banned

I've got a friend with a Persian, Muslim mother and a Jewish father.