Disturbing New Illegal Drug

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Sci-Phenomena, Jan 3, 2007.

1. cpt.scruffy The Future's Coolest Guy Registered Senior Member

ah, now i hear you.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/111/23/e394

"The majority of patients with IE are cured with appropriate medical and, if necessary, surgical treatment. Before completing antimicrobial therapy, the patient should receive TTE (Class IIb, Level of Evidence: C) to establish a new baseline for subsequent comparison (Table 16). A referral to a program to assist in cessation of drug use should be made for IDU patients. Patients should be educated about the signs of endocarditis and urged to seek immediate medical attention should they occur. A thorough dental evaluation should be obtained and all active sources of oral infection should be eradicated. All catheters used to infuse antimicrobial treatment should be promptly removed at the end of therapy."

The teeth are a very effective route for bacteria to enter the bloodstream. consider the fact that a cavity in a tooth, a "carie" is an actual wound.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sci-Phenomena Reality is in the Minds Eye Registered Senior Member

Like my mama always says, to stay healthy, eat the food pyramid, to be unhealthy, don't. I often wonder just how much damage many of these drugs would do if the people using them would just eat that friggin food pyramid!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Why anybody takes drugs is a mystery, it will ruin your life. The higher your emotion gets the lower it will fall and you will feel like a zero, soon you will be after another high and it will never end. People that take drugs are the lowest of all human cretins in terms of emotional stability. Their whole life is centered around chemical susbtances, meanwhile they are made up of chemical substances. A once beautiful baby who's parents had hopes on him or her turned ridiculus zombie. I drink when I get depressed, I don't set myself up for unrealistic expectations.

8. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Bzzzt, wrong.

What you're talking about is an addict, and that addiction can be any activity from drinking alcohol, to gambling, to being a sex addict, to playing MMORPGs, to eating, to losing weight, or whatever else.

Addiction is a mental problem and someone who is addicted to one activity could have easily been addicted to another yet tons of people are able to do all of the above activities, including drug use, without it interfering or hurting their normal lives. Only if you have an addictive personality will you have problems with the above.

- N

9. cpt.scruffy The Future's Coolest Guy Registered Senior Member

not true. cannabis? i haven't had it since like october. i used to love it. now i just have it when it's there, and even then majority of the time, i dont even feel like it anymore.
    mushrooms, i enjoy them. it's not like a bloody shroomhead.
    all the other drugs i've had, same deal.

hells no. clearly, you don't know enough people who have taken drugs. drugs are experience with moderation.
    it's not like my life revolves around chemicals.
    and yes, i enjoy sports, i enjoy playing games, etc. i do a lot of things.
    therefore, i try to live experience. not just chemicals, nor do i let them be and not touch them.
    i speak on the behalf of many, to add on to the subject.

i dont believe i am a cretin of emotional stability. i believe that by doing what i do, i can talk about various subjects with various people and build my character and knowledge. along with being able to discuss various subjects in interest, i can help them if need be. if i have a problem, another similar to me can relate to me as well. that being said, a once beautiful baby turned, not into a ridiculous zombie, but a baby who's developed into an person with growing wisdom.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

and as a 19 year old, i am not wise, i have much to learn lol.

that's how you feel, and i won't bug you on that. i speak on my defence!
    and i understand if one doesn't want to touch drugs as well, so keep in mind that i'm not trying to tell you to "gain a new experience."

10. Bells Staff Member

Some people take drugs and lead normal and productive lives. Their addiction is at the point where they are 'functional addicts', in that they work (some are doctors, lawyers, police officers, teachers, etc) in their chosen field and their drug use does not interfer with their work. I guess for some people, going off the drugs could result in their lives being ruined as their level of dependency is at the point where they simply cannot function without it. I'd imagine after extensive detoxification, they would start to claw their way back, but it's an individual choice.

Personally I detest it. I've seen it ruin lives (family and friends) and I'd never touch it personally. But I've also met functional addicts and in truth, if they had not come out and admitted it, I'd have never known they were addicts.

For some I guess. And not for others. We tend to view drug addiction through the lense of the stereotypical social view. When in actual fact, I'd imagine a lot of people are drug addicts but they have managed to mask it or adapt so well to it that they are able to control their usage and dosage.

I'd imagine there would be other people more deserving of that term lol.

Would you say the same of individuals who wake up and simply cannot function if they don't have a cup (or several cups) of coffee? I've met people like that and they literally cannot function like normal human beings, in that they can't perform well at their job, studies, etc, without that dose of caffeine in the morning.

Alcohol is one of the biggest substances that people are addicted to, some without realising it. So you do rely on a chemical substance when you're a bit down. A lot of people do. You get people who come home at night and literally say "ugh.. bad day.. I soooo need a drink" and then proceed to drink themselves into a pleasant stupor. Some take it further and drink in excess all the time and are addicted to it a lot more.

11. John99 Banned Banned

could you elaborate ont that?

i think ALL addictions start in thne brain, even those which inclusde physical suffering. as far as genus inh rtelation to addiction, i doubt this can be the case. and is difficult to gage give the nuber of factor involved, really too hard to prove so i find studies toi be inconclusive.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  12. cpt.scruffy The Future's Coolest Guy Registered Senior Member

i dunno, but there's a reason why professors always refer to genetic predisposition as a factor for addiction.

my guess, is for example, how well you metabolise a drug;
    that's a case in point for a factor towards addiction.

if there's a specific toxin (for instance, a drug) metabolising gene, in which its expression varies in magnitude from person to person, that can change the genetic predisposition.

genetic predisposition is A factor, as previously mentioned, to many factors towards addiction like you already mentioned.

13. cpt.scruffy The Future's Coolest Guy Registered Senior Member

to add to the case of genetic predisposition,

i'm sure i have studied monozygotic twins and their susceptibility to be addicted to a substance, where the twins have been brought up by two different parents.

and similar family studies.

i'm pretty sure there was a correlation strong enough to support genetic predisposition, hence the repeated use of the term by professors.

14. John99 Banned Banned

arent the efects of morphine pretty much universal? the more pronounced the effect the less likely cultural differences play a role.

have you seen conclusive evidence of metabolic\genetic predisposition to any addictive substances? slight variations as far as metabolic effect aside.

15. cpt.scruffy The Future's Coolest Guy Registered Senior Member

genetic predisposition, through studies, have played a role in addiction.
    it's a definite factor.
    i mean you can just google it... - "genetic predisposition" addiction -
    and you will probably see tests.

the simple case of the severely depressed patient.. who has shown signs of the brain's lack of dopamine, ne, etc. and this patient's depression is suspected to be of genes. (and yes, genes have been shown to be a factor in depression - and i'm not talking about depression everyone goes through... it's waking up feeling like crying, and feeling like life isn't worth anything, etc. i have a friend who suffers bipolar, and i've studied the matter)
    nicotine provides replacement for the lack of needed neurotransmitters,
    leaving the patient at a predisposition to be hooked to cigarettes.

anyway, i dont have much better than that, since i deleted all my slides from last year. however, i took genetics this past semester, we did discuss alcohol and gene addiction, as well as twin/adoption studies that support the role of genes in addiction.

to answer the morphine.... i can't really say, because i haven't studied genetic influences on morphine.
    i suppose if i thought of it more though, and how it affects the brain as an opioid, neurotransmitter action, etc.
    i could come up with a theorised conclusion... but i have a physiology exam tomorrow! as;dfkljasdf;lkjasdf;lkjads f

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  16. cpt.scruffy The Future's Coolest Guy Registered Senior Member

directly from a genetics notes that i copied from a slide...

Alcoholism

SNP's for gamma aminobutryic acid (GABA), a neurotransmitter that inhibits dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine.
    low GABA = overstimulation (bipolar disorder, mania, impulsiveness ... gambling, shoplifiting, epilepsy, seizure disorders)
    High GABA = sedated, decreased social anxiety, euphoria

Both alcohol and valium stimulate expression of GABA.
    alcohol dependence = withdrawal from sudden drop of GABA to low levels when drinking stopped

Alcohol dehydrogenase: breaksdown alcohol. Greater tolerance to alcohol means greater expression of gene.

----------------

ps SNPS are single nucleotide polymorphisms which are variances in a dna sequence, in relevance to other members of the same species.

17. Ragnarok Hang em High.... Registered Senior Member

18. cpt.scruffy The Future's Coolest Guy Registered Senior Member