Dissection

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Circe, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Circe Registered Senior Member

In this day and age there are alternative methods to dissection. So far 13 states passed the law that gives students the right to opt for a humane alternative, like using a 3D model or a computer simulation.

Is dissection still necessary? Pros and cons?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

if you want to become a surgeon it is.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You need it for muscle biopsies, for learning to identify the different groups of muscles and how they are connected, basic biology of the animal. The best way to learn anatomy, IMO.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

and alot of others as well.
    this is one PETA isn't going to win.

8. Circe Registered Senior Member

Sam,

I notice you say the best, not the only way.

Do you think that someone who learned how to dissect via alternative methods could still be a skilled surgeon?

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Would you get into an airplane if the pilot learned to fly using a flight simulator?

10. Roman Banned Banned

A more appropriate question:

Would you let a surgeon operate on you who had never worked with a body?

11. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Absolutely not. Have you ever dissected anything? It's nothing like a computer model. There's a feel, a texture, a smell. Computer simulation can not take the place of dissection.

12. Circe Registered Senior Member

13. Roman Banned Banned

It should also have a list of studies that showed the opposite, but of course, it doesn't.

14. Circe Registered Senior Member

Yes, it does

15. leopold Valued Senior Member

links to those studies?

16. Circe Registered Senior Member

Read the link I provided. The website does list two studies that prove dissection to be more effective than its alternatives.

17. leopold Valued Senior Member

you expect me to read that entire site for 2 studies?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Roman Banned Banned

In the introductory paragraph it says "single study," but at the end, it says two.

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

All that complaining about dissection is a farce. In biology we are using more and more animals each year and dissect the shit out of them.

20. Circe Registered Senior Member

Roman,

So? What's your point? That's not one but two studies that support your argument. You should be content, especially since you claimed earlier that the article didn't provide any.

leopold,

No, just the link I posted. Nothing too strenuous, scrolling down is all that's required

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. river-wind Valued Senior Member

I'm not a fan of manditory dissection in High School or Middle School - If someone is going to become a doctor or a biologist, then ok. In those cases, hand-on experience with dissection is needed.

But if a kid is going to become a stock broker or a race car driver or a computer programmer or a garbage man...is the difference between a 3D model and the real thing that important?

I do recognise that someone may, having experienced a dissection, suddenly realize that they *want* to become a doctor, but wouldn't those individuals often want to have the experience ahead of time? Couldn't the option be made available for the students to choose, as opposed to forcing students one way or the other?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007