Discussions about Carico's God

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Carico, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Carico Registered Member

What's supernatural is making claims that no one in the past or present has witnessed or documented. They're called fantasies. So a half-man, half-ape is supernatural.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

But the fossils do exist.

Your accusation that scientists are involved in eliminating God or the Bible's role in the study of history is ridiculous. Many scientists are very religious. My father is a scientist, and many of his associates go to church. I don't understand it, but there it is. As an atheist, I depend on knowing the history of religion in order to show just how damaging it's effects have been on the human search for knowledge. Galileo was one famous victim, but it continues to this day when religious nuts deny evolution.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Given that science popularly works exclusively in the language of empiricism, what "supernatural" things do you suppose it could locate it?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Carico Registered Member

It's interesting how afraid scientists are of the bible. One would think they'd love the chance to refute it. But they don't. They're scared to death of God's word.

After all, you guys allow myths on this board in the sci-fi category. So not allowing that the bible here, you obviously don't believe the bible is a myth.

8. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Carico, you seem like the friendly, humorous sidekick to adstar. I'm christian, and it amuses me when a christian pops up who wants to smack around non-believers. Mocking won't work, threatening won't work, even having actual discussion won't work. Pearls to the swine, buddy.

9. swarm Registered Senior Member

spidergoat Science is biased towards the non-supernatural since nothing supernatural has been shown to exist. Science is not inherently opposed to the idea of the supernatural.

Sort of, but let me help clarify.

Science as a discipline strives not to be biased for or against anything, though science is done by people and people have difficulty getting past their bias.

All science cares about is can it be observed? can it be measured? can questions be proposed about it that can be disproved? can these be shared, replicated and verified publicly? That's it at the core.

"Natural" or "supernatural" is not a question for science. Those are metaphysical claims. Metaphysical claims, by definition, are about things which cannot be observed.

10. swarm Registered Senior Member

Carico: It's interesting how afraid scientists are of the bible. One would think they'd love the chance to refute it.

That's because its not actually that interesting or fearsome. You like to pretend its some great thing, but its just a tired collection of myths and so most can't be bothered. Also because it is so rife with error the task is some what daunting. But luckily there are people with lot's of time on their hands.

Start here: http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/theism/christianity/errancy.html

But of course you won't read any of it, which is the other reason people usually don't bother. Your type is impervious to fact and reason.

11. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

spare us the straw men arguments,its just silly..

the reason why you cant use the bible to prove your god

its circular reasoning fallacy:

stating in one's proposition that which one aims to prove. (e.g. God exists because the Bible says so; the Bible exists because God influenced it.)

it doesnt work

12. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

naw thats just a MYTH..
    whatever he said is still only HEARSAY..not acceptable in todays society
    and why do YOU deny all the other gods

www.godchecker.com

yes up on the mountain with no one around...hmmm sounds like bullshyt to me
    Jesus never said He was god!

btw why would God need to sacrifice Himself to Himself to fix the Sin which He created in the first place..is he and idiot?
    so refute Allah the Great for us then!

13. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Hey I was just taking the story at face value, from the King James Version of the Bible. You can tack on whatever theories you want. That was mine.

14. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

I find it amusing when a newcomer preaching religion, ufos or psuedoarcheology tells skinwalker to "go do some reasearch".

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Whi I do believe that Jesus existed (and started a thread about it, which I was very disaapointed that very few of the Jesus deniers bothered to post in: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=85618)...

...I defy you to show me where Jesus said he was God incarnate.

You claim that Jesus said he was God incarnate, then say others are in denial??
    Chapter and Verse, please.
    When did he say this?
    Quote him.

16. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: I asked you to answer a question earlier today. You as yet have not, and I am still waiting. Either you don't know the answer or your religion is false. Which is it?

I asked you to tell us what language did god speak. So far, no christian on this forum has been able to answer this question. Seeing as how you think you have all the answers, please answer this one now.

17. nova900 more spirituality,less dogma Registered Senior Member

I suppose a lot of the militant attitude comes from atheists who have had others attempt to force religion upon them in their lives. I don't like the very bitter attitude in some atheists either but I believe I can see where and how it came about.
    I believe God exists based on my own intuition and what I feel is suggesive evidence for God based on things like NDEs and such but I would be too rigid in my mindset if I could not keep open the possibility that there is no God.

18. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I think you're allowed to quote the bible to make a point. Did a moderator tell you otherwise?
    I asked you repeatedly for a scripture reference & you won't give it.
    I asked you a question, repeatedly, related to another scripture but you won't answer it.

If 20% of what scientists claim isn't true, that does nothing for your case.

Absurd blathering.

I'm stealing that!

======I don't know whether gods exist but I know the god of the KJVHoly Babble doesn't any more than there can be a square triangle.
    ========If NDEs are valid, that says nothing of whether there's a god.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2008
  19. nova900 more spirituality,less dogma Registered Senior Member

If they are valid and not simply a dream taking place in the dying mind, it says everything about God.That's what NDEs are all about..not an afterlife that has no God.

20. Carico Registered Member

Again, since there's not a picture of the common ancestor, or any transitional species on a fossil, then interpreting fossils is as subjective as imagining what images leaves on a tree represent.

Hitler once said; "People are so stupid. It's not hard to fool the public." And of all people, he should know. It's the samewith anyone who reads a science book. They automatically believe anything scientists say because they have letters after their names. So Hitler's right; it's not hard to fool the public, especially when they look to certain humans as infallible gods as they did to Hitler and they do to scientists. And that's why people who are easily duped never question the methods of scientists even when their methods are as unscientific looking at a dead body and making up a story about it.

21. Carico Registered Member

Then that belongs in the category of science fiction. But since Christ's words and deeds were witnessed and recorded, that belongs in the category of history.

So the first thing you need to understand is the difference between science and science fiction. Science fiction is about what could happen in reality. Science is about what does happen in reality. So research the history of Israel. Only then will you be on your way to distinguishing between the real and the imaginary.

22. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

So is it better to believe a book with no evidence than it is to believe a scientist who can throw as much evidence at you as you like (in your case probably none, as you wouldn't want to be proved wrong on anything an old story book told you)?

23. ggazoo Registered Senior Member