Discrimination:

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lucifers angel, Sep 28, 2007.

1. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Chewing Gum,

I'm neither advocating nor disadvocating it. I'm merely commenting on the phenomenon of transference which takes place and is evidenced by political correctness.

'Retard' is 'distinct and brimming with attitude' not because of some inherent quality of the word itself, but rather because the condition which it symbolizes is not seen as a desirable one.

No one wants to be a 'retard'. Not because the word 'retard' sounds bad, but because they don't want to be accused of the connotations that come along with condition which the word symbolizes.

Same goes for 'mentally challenged', 'learning disabled', 'special', etc...

Same goes for 'negro', 'colored', 'nigger', 'black', 'mulatto', 'octaroon', 'indian', 'native american', etc, etc, etc... Although these latter examples symbolize concepts which are not inherently insulting but are rather pushed down to insults due to social condition.

One doesn't have to be taught that it wouldn't be a good thing to be retarded, it's a natural assumption.

I glanced over the posts in this thread and I saw it mentioned that this is a power game. Labeling is power, in a way, but changing the label applied to you is not going to change the stigma attached to the underlying condition. You can call it 'super-happy-fun condition' and still no one will wish it on themselves or the ones they care about.

People spend so much time playing with the shadows on the wall and completely ignoring the real things that are casting the shadows.
    This is one of the drawbacks to language, however it has many more benefits which offset the drawbacks, of course.

Baron Max,

Well, that would be that power thing mentioned earlier in the thread. On page two if I recall. People wish to name themselves. I'm actually surprised the custom of naming your children is still so prevalent. I kinda like the idea of child-names and adult-names. The former given to you by your parents/elders while the latter is taken upon yourself and is something of a duty which you must maintain throughout your life.

People need more responsibility than is currently trendy.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Yes. The need for assistance is a difference only in degree, not in kind.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ripley Valued Senior Member

Which came first? Civil good manners, or political correctness? I think political correctness takes its cues from the former. And the former is what builds the pride of an anchored civilization.
    Of course. But behind that word, as such words go—with a purpose—lies a very powerful force: ill will. It's so bloody unfair for people who are socially fragile to begin with, to be expected to defend themselves against an onslaught of ill will. Ill will is like gravity.
    Of course. But the psychological implications instigated as a result go far deeper than mere surface self-imagery. In the appropriate context of group dynamics and interactions, sure, 'retard' is no worst than 'silly' or 'fuck off'. But there are parameters and honest sensibilities involved. And if someone hasn't got the tact to differentiate where the borderlines for decorum begin, and when and when not to exacerbate a given situation, then they don't belong in a civilization.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Panjabster Registered Member

Developmentally disabled is the proper term.