Discrimination:

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lucifers angel, Sep 28, 2007.

1. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Oh believe me, I know. That's the whole premises of how the corporate environment works. Sensitivity training bullshit was caused by the fear of 'stepping on someone's toes'.

Ohhh. Very wise statement, grasshoppah.
    I lost count on how many times my refusal to censor myself has gotten me in trouble or into an argument (even on here!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

).
    Part of it is probably from the ADHD impulsivity and part of it could be the fact that I hate it when someone overly sugarcoats something to spare my/someone's feelings; kinda like women when they, instead of telling a guy she's not interested, they just don't return phone calls.
    I think another part of it is that you can tell a little bit of a person's character in how they respond to being called out.

I don't say stuff to deliberately taunt someone (unless they do something to provoke me), but if someone gets offended by something that I say, I'd expect them to address me tactfully. If not, they will get a rude response right back.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xev Registered Senior Member

Yes, and good for it - the more I know how to correctly address people, the better I can avoid them.

Uh huh. And how am I supposed to respond to a person who threatens and insults me? How am I supposed to react when that person is given a free social pass to do so because they use their pain and damaged offspring to justify their poor behavior?

"I wasn't myself, I was upset"
    "My partner betrayed me, I am justified in destroying valuable property"
    "I was sad, it's not my fault that I drowned my children"
    "That person offended my delicate moral sense, I'm justified in attacking their well-being"

I follow (more or less) the rules of social interaction. Other people use their personal feelings to justify being total cunts. They get a pass for this. So why should I continue to follow the rules?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I thought this thread was about discriminating against the disabled? :shrug:

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Oh I admit that whole meeting to duel it out got way out of control. lol

I mean you and I have come to blows too. I never once thought of saying that I wanted fight you lol I mean ppl can get under your skin, even though you try to not let it get to you . Yes I came to her defense because I thought that ppl were being pretty unsensitive. I mean you have come to the defence of others too, Mike has come to my defence on occassion.

Anyway looks like it has blown over for now...........

So whats the next big BLOW OUT going to be about lol

8. Xev Registered Senior Member

About the social contract, in essence:

What do we owe to people who don't follow the same set of rules?

9. Ripley Valued Senior Member

But none of you entered this thread on an equal footing.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Baron Max:

If you have a heart attack, I don't expect you'll call an ambulance, then. If your house catches on fire, you won't be calling the fire brigade. Will you?

What are you talking about?

You're proud of your view that disabled people are "inferior". Aren't you?

Why would you get all upset when somebody calls you out on it?

11. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

you can always count on me or dick moves

*awaits puns*

12. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Christ, you people talk too much. 14 pages already? I'm not going to wade through all this shit to find out if this has already been said or not.

So.
    Without further ado.

The term 'mentally challenged' is also now being seen as insulting.
    It doesn't matter what you call them, over time it will develop into a politically incorrect term just because they don't want to be seen that way.
    Doesn't matter that they're retarded, they sure as hell don't want to be labeled as a retard. How uncouth!

13. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Yep. I'm uncomfortable referring to the "brake retarders" on my truck anymore. I just call 'em my "wheel slower-downers" now.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Bells Staff Member

Ok. That made me laugh!

15. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

Hahaha

16. Ripley Valued Senior Member

But the snub was not targeted at Lucifers' kids, was it?

17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

What snub?

18. Ripley Valued Senior Member

Well, I'm certainly not going to stir that piss pot again by quoting several posters who may or may not have been deliberate about their remarks. But the mentally—'disabled' now feels out of place—disqualified, are not the ones complaining about political correctness. And they are not the ones who will be holding any body up on a disparagement, an insult. So, in a sense, a disparaging remark of their person only ends up sounding spiteful.

19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

The hell are you talking about?

I simply said that 'mentally challenged' is now sliding over into an incorrect term and that no matter what term is chosen to replace it; that term, in turn, will also slide into incorrectness.

The problem is that people seem to think that by denying the word, you can deny the condition. This is not so.

Actually, they are. The thing I saw on the changing perception of the term 'mentally challenged' showed a bunch of 'mentally challenged' who despised the term and were trying to push some other term. I forget the replacement term and a quick google search couldn't find the reference. It was some documentary.

20. Ripley Valued Senior Member

I thought you were advocating the continuous usage of the term 'retard'. I mean, the word is so distinct and brimming with attitude; it should be reserved for us normal upright people only.

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

...LOL! James, do you really think that such isolated, single event emergencies are the same thing as needing assistance for the rest of one's life as a retard? ...LOL!

Baron Max

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Why should we care what they want to be called? Or is this just one more of the numerous issues of trying to please all people all the time about every-fuckin'-thing?

If George wants to call someone a retard, and Mike doesn't like it, who should have the right to authority to say which is "correct"?

But still, it don't matter ....retards are a drain on the society. In matters of equality under the law, those retarded kids shouldn't be given any more assistance than a regular ol' normal kid. If they are, then it's discrimination. Which is, by the way, the original topic.

Baron Max

23. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

yes