Discrimination:

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lucifers angel, Sep 28, 2007.

1. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

my shit was relevant to the thread, not personal beefs

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Nearly everyone nowadays in "civilized" countries is "evolutionary (physically) defective". Consider simple myopia, that is pretty much a life ender a few thousand(or hundred) years ago. So are a host of other problems easily cured or corrected or cared for. This kinds of thing goes hand-in-hand, part-in-parcel with the whole advanced civilization package. If you are arguing against Civilization, Ok I agree with you. If you want us to keep going and see where it takes us(humans), then you have to pay someone to take care of people like Stephen Hawking or even the less useful disabled people. There are fully functional people whom are a complete minus to society - yet we also put up with them too.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ripley Valued Senior Member

After Varda's stupid Spartan faux-pas, the shit hit the fan. Then, Lucifers Angel started spinning into a an alcoholic whirlpool of typos, confusion, and distress. Xev, likewise, in her own alcoholic haven, got things utterly mixed-up. And several pages later Shorty finally summarized the errors, thereby making it up with Xev. Then Nietzschefan and Peta and I valiantly attempt to turn a new page. But alas, to no avail, because Varda returned.

Now, consider that Varda never stepped forward once during the unfolding of this ridiculous drama to correct the confusion that extended over her stupid remarks. And also consider how much she herself values the ability to "correct", and to not be degraded by a haphazard discrimination—for heaven help us all, we must never, under no circumstances, call her Hispanic!

8. peta9 Registered Senior Member

heh, tiger woods was born myopic. Nuff said.

9. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

actually, I did... look more carefully

Discriminate against me for what I am.

10. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

That's exactly what I do.

I know Lucifer got a little crazy in her posts. I guess it's kinda like the mother bear protecting her cubs. I also
    question if alcohol was involved lol. Anyway the point I was trying to make was I think that the members could
    be a little more sensitive to what she has to live with everyday of her life. I think this thread (since she made it)
    was a little more on a personal note, then maybe other threads.

I wonder if VARDA would like it if we went into her thread, saying stupid remarks about her farce of a marriage!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  11. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

peta, I just found this reply to my post, I hadn't seen it before

the basis of the argument on not caring for the weaker, is that ther would be NO need for modern medicine if only the strongest were able to survive

ever seen a miope eagle?

12. peta9 Registered Senior Member

i'm still way ahead of you sister. What does just physical strength have to do with evolution?

Why do you think we live in contrived shelters? Why do you think we realize air surrounds us and not like a fish who doesn't realize it's surrounded by freaking h2o? Being totally at one with your environment has it's weak points. Remember the dinosaurs? Well, they weren't able to "manipulate" their environment.

Going by your logic, the human species would not survive an impending doom because it would be too "myopic" of its place in the world.

There would be no research to obliterate that meteor heading our way if we didn't try to "change" and "affect" our environment. How easy it is to just let your child die or anyone. How easy it is to just go with the flow.

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

WTF? you want us to turn into eagles now? We have good lasik-corrected vision on our commercial pilots.

Listen, animals long ago got fucking owned by us humans. Yes we kicked their asses big time. It's been gonig on so long, most animals have instincts to run the hell away from us. We've been there done that, and are on to a new thing.

14. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

our nice big brains dear mother nature gave us would still be able to learn all sorts of stuff to improve our quality of life... we just wouldnt have to deal with disease

15. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

WTF u stoopid? I'm just drawing a paralel here... Just imagine eagles were able to heal miopia... godammit

wait a second... we owned the other animals because we can heal diseases? I thought it was because of our overal superiour intelligence/capacity to create strategies...

16. Ripley Valued Senior Member

@Shorty

Just the other day I was leaving the gym at our community center, and in the lobby I was sitting on the steps putting on my cycling shoes. I heard voices behind me, as one of them started making his way to the front door. A car was waiting outside to pick him up. As he passed, and I was getting up with my opened back sac, I saw that he was quite crippled and contorted, and arduously walking with a slight gentle grimace on his face. I quickly thought of the impression I might make on him, that I was about to use my sturdy legs and mount onto my bike—I hoped I wouldn't make him feel ill at ease. But then both our eyes met. There was a moment of communication, of sizing each other up, of looking into each other's spaces, of ignoring a strange separateness. And as he opened the door and stepped outside, his extended arm remained holding the heavy door—I saw his fingers still outspread as his momentum carried him forwards away from the door, and he was looking a bit sideways towards me: I understood. He was holding the door open for me; he had accepted my existence and my right to be; there were no questions asked. I quickly darted forwards to grab the slowly closing door behind him before it shut.

Outside, we each parted our own ways.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  17. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Uhhhhuhh.....Keep going.....

18. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

there is nowhere to go until you reply

19. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Thats cool, similar things have happened to me as well. I will also go out of my way to help anybody with a disabilty who looks like they are struggling. I will always offer at least.

On the other side of your story. There is a girl at my gym, not sure what is exactly wrong with her. She is quite short and her legs are quite deformed. She walks with 2 arm canes but looks like she is having a really hard time.
    Anyway she actually gets herself on the treadmill, puts her canes asides and holds onto the arms of the treadmill ( the first time I was actually quite amazed) She would walk on the treadmill very slow, it looked like a real struggle. Anyway one day I saw her and there were 2 girls close to me, laughing. (You know the type, I am so hot look at me look at me) They were talking quite loud, pointing and laughing. I was so disgusted I said something. I then said something to the manager when I left. I can't beleive there are people in this world that can be that callous.

20. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I just read what you posted in another thread to lucifer. This after upsetting her so much here.

Varda:
    is this about that other thread?
    if so, I'm terribly sorry

actually, I'm not

grow some e-cojones

WTF is wrong with you?

Varda: (thread)

Why does the US make the process of getting in legally so excruciating, complicated and time consuming?

Maybe they don't want anymore BITCHES coming over........maybe you should file for discrimination.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  21. maxg Registered Senior Member

For the people who seem to be arguing in favor of eugenics, morality aside (and the immorality of it is a big thing to put aside) there is a big problem in that the decision as to who would be a valid candidate and who would not is likely to be prone to error and quite the society that attempts to carry-it out. There's probably good reason why Sparta never reached the cultural and philosophical heights of Athens. And let's look at the largest modern example, Nazi Germany, what the hell did they accomplish.

When you start trying to eliminate disability from a society you will quickly find that a large percentage of people (including many accomplished and productive members of the society) have disabilities. People like Einstein, Edison, Alexander Graham Bell are all believed to have learning disabilities. I know in my own case in 1st grade my school wanted to repeat the grade because they thought I was slow and by 6th grade the put me in classes for gifted children. To think that you would be able to judge who has potential value to society is the height of arrogance.

If you want to save society the burden of caring for people with disabilities maybe you should also consider the elimination of people who smoke--hell they chose to act in a way that burdens others--line them up against a wall and shoot them before they get cancer or emphysima--it would make about as much sense.

22. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

are we merging threads?
    can you stick to the subject?

23. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I, personally, am not talking about actively eliminating the weaker. Just... not creating artifices that will allow them to compete with the stronger, I suppose