Discriminated for being German

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Thoreau, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

No this is the only time.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. WillNever Valued Senior Member

I don't know about anyone else, but like I said on page 1, it's happened to me more than once. Someone who used to be my friend once did it too, after we had sort of a break-up. Some people's hearts contain much anger.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

I have seen it happen to me personally. Some people hear you are of German stock and they assume that you might have some affinity for the Germans. Germany was, on the whole, anti-Semitic far longer than it has gone without being, so even if one's ancestors emigrated a long time ago, some attitudes could have been transferred.

That said, I have never met anyone who held my ancestry against me longer than it took me to explain that my grandfather fought for the U.S. in WWII and three of my great grandfathers fought for the U.S. in WWI.

On the whole, also "discrimination" is a sliding scale. Here I mean that some people seemed offended at what they perceived as a possible sympathy for German war and pre-war ideals. It's not "discrimination" on the order that blacks might suffer.

As for the German people being victims, some were. Most of them were not. They may not have been Nazis themselves but it was a tacit approval of Nazis and a widespread antisemitism that kept the Nazis in power. I think the notion that it was a nation oppressed but secretly yearning for Htler to be replaced was only the end of the war (when things were awful) and it became a convenient myth afterwards. In that regard it is rather like tales of the French Resistance, which seem to me to often suggest wildly exaggerated community participation rather than the small cells of resistance that seem to have actually operated.

I myself have read documents about prison camp guards objecting to the treatment of Jewish prisoners. The Nazi's conclusion was that about 1 in 10 seemed to be doing that, and so they were reassigned to less questionable duties. (They did also forbid guards from discussing complaints except with superiors, as the number escalated above 1 in 10 when the guards were permitted to speak freely). Were these guards profiles in courage? No, but I found it interesting that the higher ups didn't seem concerned about them and didn't suggest they be punished, just reassigned. It was very much the Milgram Experiment, but 30 years earlier and all too real.

That is, imo, what the mass of the German people suffered from. Someone in authority was giving them orders, it mostly adversely impacted the Jews (whom the the average German did not like anyway), so they did not object. The truth is that we're all potentially sheep in this, deferring to authority when we "should" not—we take the easy road and assume that immorality is on the part of the ones in charge. I still do not see that this defect of human psychology—universal though it may be—makes the Germans "victims," since each individual still had free will.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Yeah, it must be hard being a white male in America. The discrimination you must face. Lord oh lord.

But seriously, your grandfather killed my grandfather.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah they won't even let him have white pride without calling him a racist

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Damn nazis.

9. breeze Registered Member

Well, that`s not a discrimination you`ve just met some idiot.

And I don`t see why one should make excuses for his grandparents even if they were Nazis. You should be responsible for what you do, not for what your grandparents did.

10. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

I love Germans, well the good Germans anyway.

My very good ( German ) friend Ulli celebrates his 67th birthday this weekend and I'll be there with him prattling nonsense and chewing the fat till we both collapse in a corner.

Germans have a wonderful way of being frank. Frank in a way that cuts the meat from the bone and leaves little room for ambiguity or falsehood. They call a spade a spade ( much in the same vane as Australians call a spade a fuckin' shovel) and a very refreshing trait it is too.

Now, cutting to the chase, Germans may just find themselves discriminated against not because of shit that went down in a couple of skirmishes but more because of the dismissive way they regard people of non Germanic descendency. For a German to witness an Englishman, for example, squirming to describe to the waiter that the soup may possibly have had an insect resembling a fly doing a lap or two in his chowder and might be wondering if the waiter might take it upon himself (oneself) to appropriate a fresh bowl of consomme, sans fly is extremely irritating.
    Hans or Fritz or Werner or would have taken a much more direct approach and summonsed said waiter forthwith with a clear directive in a gesticulative manner to "bloody well sort the soup fiasco out without further delay " and treat the whole exercise as an excuse to pour shit on the hapless garcon for the entirity of the boozey evening.

More, the Germans would wolf down their monstrous meals whilst patting their rotund bellies and motioning for more pilsner.

Discrimination against the Germans comes from their arrogantly expressed claim to superiority than any vast slaughter they may have indulged in recent memory.

Like I said, I love the Germans, I've met plenty and God those sweet blonde young naive broomhildes can turn any man to their particular brand of thinking and , God knows those German lads can play a brand of football that only one team per world cup campaign can beat (chuckle) and they can brew the best beer in the world but Fark, they don't do interpersonal communication very well do they?

VOTT!

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The Dutch are the improved version.

12. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Dutchies are cool.

I've met squillions of Dutchies,..all cool.

Pass me the roach!

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yea, we're basically Germans (but don't say that out loud

).

Roach ? Sure, here you go..

14. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Germas and Dutchies secretly shit me..all those perfect teeth and blonde hair with a slightly crazed yet intimidating set to their eyes.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'll let you in on a secret: the European Union is preparing a new attempt at global domination, under the command of Germany of course.
    It's just a matter of time really..
    Heil!:mufc:

16. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

World domination!..I thought the Indonesians were playing that fraught game. watch out for Inzy.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

HA! They don't stand a chance against the European warmachine!

18. mike47 Banned Banned

Damn stupid wars !.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

20. mike47 Banned Banned

All humans ?. Enmos is nice......

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Almost all, anyway

22. ashpwner Registered Senior Member

People just enjoy discriminating anyone diffrent does not matter were they are from. I don't think it's personal.

23. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Not really surprised this happened. Anyone who is proud of anything will inevitably be under attack for it.