Discriminated for being German

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Thoreau, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Why is it that I, an America of strict German ancestry still get discriminated on for something that did not personally take part in? (The Nazi Party and the events that took place).

I am a 2nd (or 3rd depending on how you look at it) generation American from a family that came from Germany in the late 50's. Though I've been to Germany many times, I've never lived there. Nevertheless, I still take great pride in my heritage and the accomplishments of my ancestors.

Yes, my grandfather spent 7 years serving Hitler in the German Army. He was captured at Caen as a POW by British forces in 1944 and was released in 1945 shortly after Germany surrendered. He moved on with his life and returned to Germany where he remained for 12 more years before coming to America.

He met my grandmother (also a 1st Gen German immigrant) shortly after arriving and six months later married her. Two years after marraige, my father was born. And now here I am.

Being from a German family where we have documented records of our lineage all the way back to the 16th century and slightly before when my ancestors lived in France, I take much pride in my name and heritage. My goal one day is to return our family line back to Germany. Though I love America, Germany is where my heart is.

Anyway, back on topic. The purpose of this post is to find out why so many Americans still discriminate on those of German descent?

I recently wore a shirt that had the German Flag on it. As I passed a local coffee shop, a young man approached me and asked if I was German. I of course replied that I am German and that my grandfather had migrated from German in the 50's. Now, thinking that I may just get in a good conversation with someone about Germany, I was shocked at his reply. He proceeded to call me a "F#$king Nazi" and said that I killed his grandmother at Treblinka! I was speechless. I wanted to laugh but at the same time wanted to punch him in the throat.

WTF? Are Americans still that upset over WWII? And since when did being of German descent automatically equate me to being a Nazi??

Yeah, I know my grandfather was in the German Army. But the ONLY people he killed were Allied soldiers. He had never even been to a concentration camp, never rounded up any Jews, and had no direct involvement in the Holocaust. Do people not realize that not all German soldiers were involved in the Holocaust?

Stupidity at it's finest.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I understand. I'm a terrorist after all

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

shouldn't say that too much around here

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, Americans love Germans. Many American soldiers have been stationed in Germany and had a good time there. The German au pairs I knew were all popular and invited to parties. My Jewish family still wouldn't buy a German car, but that's about it.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Duetchland, Deutchland!

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Nazi.

9. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

10. Tnerb Banned Banned

Thank god for that! As if one would expect no discrimination in every case anyway.

11. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I'm saying Germany, how is that Nazi ish? That's in their damn anthem

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Because I know you. You love fascism.

13. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Nazism isn't fascism, and I don't "love" fascism. I think it's the best collectivist ideology out there, that would be better long-term.

Brave New World....everyone's happy, everything's efficient, structured. What's not to like?
    But I don't care about that, I'm a libertarian.

14. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Weren't you an Anarchist like a year or two ago? lol

15. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

No I was a anarcho capitalist and I still am philosophically.

16. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I'm German and openly tell people I am German. I have never experienced any sort or bigotry about that. Well, except for this one guy I worked with once who was Irish. Sometimes I felt like he secretly thought that all Germans were bad people or like he had some deep rooted resentment towards Germans. It was never blatant, It just felt under his breath he had something against Germans/Germany.

17. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

I heard that Germany is the least liked country in Europe by all the other countries. Though it's also probably the most powerful, today in the 21st century.

18. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

at least you ain't a jap

19. Dirty Dan And knowing is half the battle Registered Senior Member

MZ3 I am sorry you have to deal with discrimination. Sadly to say, discrimination, stereotyping and racial tension will always be part of society. No you should not be discriminated in any way what so ever! Especially not for what happened many years ago. Discrimination is a stupid act that needs to be forgotten.

20. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Discrimination is natural. Everybody discriminates.

If I see a bald, large muscular guy wearing black on a motor bike with a beard and lots of tattoos, I'm probably going to avoid him.

See? Discrimination!

21. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Heh, I get the same thing once in a while. My father was born in Germany, and so was my grandfather who was drafted into the Germany army in World War II. After the war ended, he was somewhere in Russia where the Soviets were calling all German soldiers to throw their weapons down and report to checkpoints in order to surrender as POWs. Instead of doing that, he traveled across country in the woods, and fled straight back to Germany. Later, in the late 1950's, him, his wife, and their three kids (and that includes my dad) immigrated and settled in Anaheim, California. Remarkably, both my grandparents are still alive and live there still. My last name is also a giveaway as to where my dad's side is from.

My mother's side is all Scottish though.

22. mike47 Banned Banned

The Germans should be very proud of Germany and their entire history . Look what the US did to the world and they still boast of it ....:shrug: .

23. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Discriminates against zee Germans!! Are you out of our mind?!?!?

Nobody that I know discriminates against Germans (in America)?? We even celebrate Oktoberfest here in Nashville!
    ....well......sort of anyway. We at least have a festival where they serve big steins of beer and pretzels. I'm sure its not nearly as awesome as the real thing.

http://www.nashvilleoktoberfest.com/

Lots of people happily drive around in BMWs and VW beeltles without complaining. Everybody who has German ancestors is proud of it.
    An authentic German accent will still score well with the ladies at any bar.