Disciplinary spanking increases childhood defiance and mental health issues

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Plazma Inferno!, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

Researchers from the Universities of Texas and Michigan found that the more frequently that children are spanked, the higher the risk that those kids will start to defy their parents, become aggressive, experience mental health issues, exhibit anti-social behaviors, and/or develop cognitive difficulties.
    Their study was based on five decades worth of research involving more than 160,000 children. They are calling it the most extensive scientific investigations into the spanking issue, and one of the few to look specifically at spanking rather than grouping it with other forms of physical discipline.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1113413810/spanking-defiance-health-discipline-042616/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. timojin Valued Senior Member

If the child knows the society will protect him against parents spanking , probable becomes aggressive, if society does not protect him then he vill be an obedient child.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Retribution Banned Banned

Umm. Sure... buy the book, otherwise you can't see exactly how they came to that conclusion.

Oddest thing being, of course, that 50 years ago spanking was quite normal, and behaviour was probably far more orthodox among teenagers and young adults than it is now, when spanking has more or less been outlawed.
    Which would actually suggest the exact reverse, on face value.

"... the more frequently children are spanked..." for example, is one clarification I'd almost guarantee will be ignored by any critiques.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. gmilam Valued Senior Member

You do realize that 50 years ago was the 1960s. Orthodox behavior is not something I associate with the 60s.

8. Retribution Banned Banned

Really? You think flower power was the norm, and not the abberation?

What have you got to say about youth violence now as opposed to then?
    Anything?

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

In the real world parental spanking in the US has not been "more or less outlawed" - or even much reduced, among the critical sociological groups - in the past fifty years.
    I wonder if you understand what that "clarification" meant.

It meant that there was no threshold level - no apparent breakover point below which spanking had no ill effects. Lots of severe spanking was not a different agent, but more of the same agent. The graph is non-decreasing.

It also drew the correlation between frequency, rather than severity - how hard the kid is hit was not involved in that correlation.
    It's apparently declined overall, apples to apples. But statistically that correlates more with the gradual diminishment of lead exposure in mothers and children since the removal of tetreaethyl lead from gasoline.

It's become comparatively more severe in some sociological groups - in particular, those recently further impoverished by the declining American economy, and still significantly exposed to lead from other sources. These are also the sociological groups that hit their kids more, btw - both lower class http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/0...laylists/baltimore-mom-smacks-protesting-son/ - ; And notice the reasoning - She was afraid for her kid, and what she was afraid of was - significantly - his vulnerability to the police. http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/29/us/baltimore-mother-slapping-son/

and higher class http://www.babble.com/celebrity/celeb-mom-rose-rock-mama-rocks-rules-parenting-books/. Notice the reasoning here as well:
    The finding of the study is that spanking never goes away, either. That doesn't mean it isn't preferable to screaming such things, or that Rock's mom was wrong in choosing the one over the other, only that it would be wise to avoid underestimating the long term effects (and from what I have seen such parents seldom refrain from spanking also - there aren't very many parents who scream but don't spank, imho. ).

10. gmilam Valued Senior Member

There was more to the 60s than flower power.

And from my personal observations (I have no numbers to back it up.) Youth violence is no worse than it was 50 years ago, and spanking is no less common than it was 50 years ago.

But even as a child in the 60s, I noticed a strong correlation between kids who were hit at home becoming bullies at school.