Dimensions

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Rantaak, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Rantaak Registered Senior Member

Help me. These are the dimensions, as far as i know:

first dimension : existance
    second dimension: properties
    third dimension: length, width, height (xyz)
    fourth dimension: change/time

if this is true, then we would be in the fourth dimension, correct?
    and if there is a greater dimension, it must be infinitely greater, so that we may not comprehend it. Perhaps we are the creation of a being infinitely greater than us? Perhaps our thoughts are our creations that cannot comprehend us?

Thoughts? Ideas?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Uh. No.

1st dimension. Point. x
    2nd dimension. Line. y
    3rd dimension. Box. z
    4th dimension. Hypercube. t?

The 4th dimension isn't necessarily time. Time is sometimes interpreted as such but that doesn't make it so.

If time is considered the fouth dimension, then we have free movement in three dimensions and stereotypical movement in the fourth.

But, if we conceive of the 4th (and higher) dimensions as physical dimensions just like the first three, then we could be very easily be three-dimensional shadows of higher dimensioned beings. Or vice versa.

This is all pretty pseudo kinda stuff though.

I should think that your idea of us being the 'creation' of a being 'infinitely greater' than us is faulty. We may not be able to comprehend an nth dimensional being, but neither could he really conceive of us.

And you analogy on thoughts is not really relevant either.
    We do project 2 dimensional aspects of ourselves, you realize? They're called shadows.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rantaak Registered Senior Member

ah ha. thanks.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Oops. I fucked up.

0 dimension = a point.
    1 dimension = a line.
    2 dimension = a plane.
    3 dimension = a cube.
    4 dimension = a hypercube.

Have you seen a hypercube?
    Very slippery.

Have you read flatland?
    You can get it at Project Gutenberg if you haven't. It's a short read and relatively easy to comprehend.
    I'll get a link for you.

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext95/flat10a.txt

8. kriminal99 Registered Senior Member

There are infinite dimensions, as in as many as you feel the need to concieve of..

# Hot dogs / minute eaten (hot dogs is a dimension here, time as well)
    retarded children born / year^2 (retarded children is a dimension)
    Blah blah blah

Space has 3 dimensions.... since geometry in space is governed by the laws of mathematics, and most human beings are better at spacial reasoning then long chains of deduction, then people use spacial metaphors to understand mathematics. You can even use these metaphors past the 3 dimensions that space has, provided you first figure out how to do this correctly based on the laws of mathematics. (although personally i think its kinda silly and mathematicians should just work on building their pure reasoning skills)

9. Rantaak Registered Senior Member

WOW. AWESOME. Thank you oh so very much for that wonderful read (I'm on chapter seven but I need some sleep). I realize its been a year or so but. Neat. Mind blowing. Answered a lot of questions i had.

10. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

THERE ARE UP TO 28 DIMENSIONS...

this shows 16...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

-MT

11. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

REALLY? WHERE? I CAN ONLY SEE 3! WHERE ARE THEY?

There's nothing really special about numbers of dimensions > 3; it just means that the theory is using n-dimensional vector spaces. There are some fairly trivial examples of vector spaces that are infinite dimensional that are used in physics.

12. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

SPACE.. rises up to be three.. dimesnions..

then it .. space moves.. the 4th.
    then space moves more.. intricately.. forming light.. magnetic fields and matter...
    out of that same space..
    thus in theory matter is that same space.. moving at higher dimensions..
    as i described as 5,6,7..
    then at 8.. we have the big bang.. of that 7 dimensional space.. mass..
    the 8th dimension of motion is the break up and explosion of that one mass, made of that same space.

then.. more motions.. 9.. forms superclusters.. 10 forms.. galaxies.. 11 forms stars...
    12 forms.. atoms.. in stars systems.... 13, 14, 15 all complete atoms and energy as we know it...

the dimensions of motion you are asking for... are right in front of your face.

in fact there maybe 28... but thats a long discussion.

-MT

13. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Nice. Now define "dimension" so I know how you justify calling "formation" a dimension? Motion is usually not considered a dimension in the same sense as space (or time).

In physics: a "dimension" is a unit or quantity. I think there are about seven "fundamental" units from which all the others are derived.

In maths: the "dimension" of a vector space is the cardinal of any basis for the vector space (thats the precise technobabble).

14. duendy Registered Senior Member

I am genuinely curious. where does consciousness come into your theories of dimensions?

15. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

also, why would time be a "dimension"?... and a hypercube isn't 4D in my opinion.

16. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

By definition a hyper cube is the 4D representation of a cube with faces perpendicular to the three spacial dimensions. It's not a matter of opinion. It's a definition. FROZEN CRAP ON A STICK!

17. Far far better Registered Member

Some would say that a hypercube is, in fact, a wrinkle in time. But, that's only because Madame L'Engle has indoctrinated them to all bounce their balls in unison.

18. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Well this strikes me as a bit odd. Are you saying that time is just our experience of a fourth spatial dimension? Or that we should all adjust our walking style (men only) such that our testicles all bounce synchronously?

19. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Well, you can give any event (x, y, z, t) coordinates which describe where and when the event took place, treating t as a coordinate in the same way as x, y, and z. If you consider time a dimension in this way (I'm not really aware of any rule that says you have to or can not), you'll note that it isn't the "same" as the other three. We experience it differently, and there are some asymmetries: you can move around freely in space, unlike in time, and an object can be in the same place at two different times, but can't be in two different places at the same time.

You can also imagine taking "slides" of a 3D object over time and combining them to get a 4D shape.

He he... anyone who wants to see a hypercube, just stare at a cube of side 1 metre for exactly one second...

20. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

A HYPER CUBE... is a representation of how 4 dimensional motion takes place.
    the little inner cube... becomes. the bigger outer cube.. in doing so.. it would be considered as moving 4 dimensionally..

thats up and to the side at the same time... without going diagnonally..

like balloon expansion.... the little balloon becomes a big balloon..
    like growth.. the little human becomes a big human.

so.. if we have space..

3d space. and we were to give it one spin... on one axis... what happens?

it spins.. and might... spread out... and become wider.... speading out.

but.. what if it had two spins.. on 2 axis... being at 90 degrees to each other..
    these two spins.. would result in... 4 dimensional expansion..
    moving in two directions....

this motion.. sets into all parts of space.. a rate of dimensional flux or flow...
    the motion of space in two directions.. at all points in space..

the rate... is time.. time flow.....

and all matter was made in the 5 th, 6th, and 7th... being devoloped within this space.. with its 4 dimensional motion..
    thus time.. regulates from that point forward all further actions in space.

i propose however...
    that space does not expand... instead.. it resists... resists expansion.

and the result.. is the formationof the fundamental particles.. as spatial tension.
    tension.. that, then.. in the 5th.. gained a twist.. becomeing photons..

and so on...

see these texts.. they will explain more clearly.

21. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

22. Spectrum Registered Senior Member

What's a dimension?

23. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

A DIMENSION, is a transitionary level of formation which is had and experienced by a transindental fluid..... which we may call the Ether...
    this dimensional rise.. and series of transitions is caused by the application of energy from an outside source.... who's quality determines the modes of formation on the Ether which is being energized...

such as for our universe... the PI value.. 3.1415962.....

it sets the relationship between the dimensions and so.. sets up the patterns of transitions between them.
    i.e... our Pi... 3.14... yields a 90 degree dimensional variation.

but if Pi.. was 2.756... it might yield a 70 degree variation pattern...

our universe is 3.14... and so a circle... is what we know of as a circle. o

dimensions are levels of state which said original space.. ether.. can experience.

so as i descibed... we rise up... zero.. 1...2...3... then 4...
    at 4... we have a seperation... and the formation of matter within space...
    and while that matter is still made of the same space...
    the following 5,6,7 etc.. dimensions can then take place apon this product of space in the 4th....
    such that we see space in 3 dimensions.. and it is.. or what is left of it.
    the rest of it.. became the matter.. which then.. in higher dimensional states of formation and motion... became the symmetrical universe as we know it..

-MT