Different crank shaft system

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by allmee, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

another good point. In fact the standard generator turned inside out (rotator out side of the stator) would fit inside nicely and if there were permanent magnets on the four rotating bars of the QT´s rotator there are no brushes as the connections to the central stator coil are hard wired/stationary. How do they cool these rotating bars? I assume that despite being articulated to change shape of the "quardangle" there is good seal to prevent high presure gas escape to the interior, Perhaps we need an internal none magnetic cylinder to protect the stator coil and some cooling air flow or a sealed volume of Helium for it to transfer heat to some heat exchanger?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

"I assume that despite being articulated to change shape of the "quardangle" there is good seal to p´revent high presuse gas escape to the interior"

Those rotor segment seals look like they could be simpler and less trouble-prone than piston rings.

"How do they cool these rotating bars?"

I haven't read how they propose to handle the heat in the middle. They talk about less lubrication, but that would seem to call for an oil splash/sump/cooler/pump circuit, as with recips. If it were to get all complicated with exotica like closed-loop gas coolant, it would be a shame.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Not sure I agree with this. I.e. ultimately one must dump the heat to the air. the VW beatle did have oil flow thru heat exchanger and big fan to do this without water radiator etc, but the heat has got to get to the air someway. There could be a slightly helix (screw thread) on the inside of a rotating cylinder that would promote modest axial He flow thru a heat exchanger. Not much pressure difference so little energy required for this "integrated fan." He is a fantastic heat transfer fluid. - Have you ever stuck your arm inside an inverted bell jar (of vacuum system) with He inside it? - it really cools your arm (and this without any mass flow, just the high velocity of the light molecules at room temperature.)!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2007
  8. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

"He is a fantastic heat transfer fluid."

I know, and it makes one talk funny too. But it's a long way from Beetle simplicity to contemplate keeping Helium bottled up in a lot of plumbing and seals.

9. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I do not see the need for ANY seals or plumbing. For an example, of very simple He cooler, consider cylinder with closed circular ends, full of He. The outside of the circular ends are finned to increase contact with the air and it rotates with the same RPM as the rotating quad bars of the QT (as it is attached to them). - can not get much more simple than that - just a sealed can full of He. (length of can set by the cooling needs as near the ends also in contact with the air.

They are not clear on the end seals that take the power out, but the He does not contact them. It remains in the sealed can. Can can be the drive shaft, spinning in the air.

Of course if it were a cylinder, there would be no room on the axis for the stator coil of the generator, so it is really a pair of concentric cylinders with the He in the annulus between them, leaving the hollow near-axis area free for the coil stator. Thus there are a ball bearings to support the annulus can/quad bars on each end of the stator coil's central rod.

Before we go into the cooling further, perhaps we should understand how they keep the interor cool, more about the thermal problem,how they take the power out, etc.

Also we have unintentionally hijacked this tread so perhaps, if interested, we should start another. I will be traveling to USA tomorrow so probably will not be active here again for a while. - busy with my children / grand children etc. for month.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2007
  10. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

It doesn't seem too tricky- oil (or Helium if you wish) systems to carry off internal heat, and a driveshaft, hollow or solid as desired. Evidently, torque would be put out over a much wider RPM range than with recips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.