Difference between general relativity wormholes and wormholes in entanglement?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Secret, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Secret Registered Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement#Wormholes

So back in a few weeks from wikipedia, some science magazines like NewScientist and around two other threads in sciforums, I read about a theory about how entanglement creates wormholes

But if entanglement creates wormholes, will spacetime be warped out of shape like a crumbled piece of paper (which if you don't use the analogy of the bowling ball on a cloth with grids, then it's like a flat grid but all the gridlines get distroted and scramebled all over the place) if you have a lot of entangled pairs of photons (or other particles) all located in a very small space (say 1mx1mx1m)?

How are these wormholes that are used to explain entanglement from a recent theory different from those allowed by general relativity?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trapped Banned Banned

There are no differences really.

The implications are slightly bizarre. It means that as separation between objects occurs significantly, parts of those systems are connected in such a way that a wormhole forms between them. So far, I have only heard this being consistent with string theory. I am not fully aware of how this idea in physics came about, but I guess it was a way to answer perhaps how information travels great distances in no time at all concerning entanglement. It would be because information is tunnelling through the other side via a wormhole.

I do know that the idea that wormhole activity could be prevalent at the quantum scale - for a while physicists have wondered about the grainy structure of spacetime, wondered if perhaps gravity is even fundamental, whether gravity gets stronger at smaller scales and whether wormholes are often appearing and disappearing. In a sense, gravity would arise from quantum entanglement, not as a real existing force. String theory, out of all theories are clearly the most elegant in quantum physics, but not all physicists are convinced yet it is the way to unification.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.