difference between forward and backward in time?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Fallen Angel, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Fallen Angel life in every breath Registered Senior Member

what would be the difference in observing a particle that travels forward and one that travels backward in time?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I dunno if anyone would really know, since we would first need to acheive the ability to travel backward in time.

I guess the particle would get older if traveling forward and younger if traveling backward.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fallen Angel life in every breath Registered Senior Member

yeah, but what does it mean to get older? for example... imagine this...

a particle will travel from a to b

a _ _ _ _ b

let x be the particle

if the particle is traveling from a to b forward in time it will look as follows:

a x _ _ _ b a _ x _ _ b a _ _ x _ b a _ _ _ x b

if the particle is traveling from a to b BACKWARD in time it will look as follows:

a _ _ _ x b a _ _ x _ b a _ x _ _ b a x _ _ _ b

where time flows from left to right

see what i mean? if it travels backward in time then it will just appear to go the opposite direction (in this simplified scenario).

the reason question arose in the first place was because of tachyons, which are said to travel backward in time. now i know their existence hasn't been proven, however there are some other heavy particles that travel backward in time? something within weak interactions i think? well, it would appear to me that claiming that a particle travels backward in time is justified only due to the requirement for preservation of mass/charge/momentum/whatever... and since the only model that preserves those requires particles to move back in time as opposed to forward, than we would accept particles to travel back in time rather than spontaneous generation of charge or other properties...

so is that why QM claims that some particles move back in time? because of conservation of charge/momentum/etc?? because they wouldn't look any different right?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MacM Registered Senior Member

Just food for thought, if time is in reality just change, motion or events caused by energy transmission, then there is no such thing as negative time.

Energy flow would be energy flow regardless of direction, just as power flowing through a light bulb doesn't care which direction the power is aplied. the bulb would still light regardless.

That infact is my personal view..

8. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Are tachyons observable, as in they exist within our three spacial dimension? Or has no one found them?

9. MacM Registered Senior Member

They are theoretical only.