Diet Beverages, etc.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by superstring01, Feb 25, 2010.

1. superstring01 Moderator

I hate to say this, but I like Diet Pepsi. Oddly enough, the ONLY people I see slurping down diet beverages are fatties. All the thin people drink the sugar infused stuff. What gives? Am I seeing causality the wrong way, or is this just coincidence.

And no, I'm not terribly overweight (maybe about 15lbs @ my current 2 Benjamins).

~String

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah most people who drink diet beverages have weight issues or body image issues [which is why they drink these beverages]. The beverages provide them the latitude to indulge in other ways - they feel reassured by the beverage and typically under estimate how much they eat of other things [or sacrifice activity for it]. They also typically overestimate the benefits of said beverages.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Diet Pepsi is clearly the best of the diet sodas, at least in my limited experience. I also hear good things about Diet Dr. Pepper.

Back in my days working in fast food, the only people who ordered diet sodas were the fat people who ordered super-sized meals (this was back when those were still standard). People that ordered regular-sized fries and drinks typically went with the corn syrup versions.

So partially it's fatties trying to reduce calories without reducing quantity. Also I think there is a certain segment of the population that drinks very large quantities of soda throughout the day (hence the huge cup sizes available at fast food and mini-mart outlets), largely for the caffeine. They also tend to have sedentary jobs, and so eventually start buying diet soda to cut out all the extra calories and sugar, lest they get fat/diabetes.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

I'm almost embarrased to admit it, but it's the first thing I go for when I get up. I avoided caffeine for most of my life. But as I've moved up in my company, I've struggled more with alertness in the AM. Though, that single Diet Pepsi is the ONLY time I drink any carbonated beverages. It's usually right when I wake up and am sitting here reviewing posts at the forum or checking my bank account.

The rest of the day I'm a water man.

That seems reasonable.

~String

8. Pinwheel Banned Banned

I love Pepsi Max, better than regular Pepsi. Im not overweight, but I do have problems with high sugar foods.

9. superstring01 Moderator

I also LOVE Pepsi Max, but I worry about all that caffeine at once.

~String

10. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I hate diet sodas they taste terrible. I drink a whole lot of carbonated sugar filled drinks all of the time with every meal and snack except breakfast. But I do usually see overweight people ordering diet sodas. I know my aunt started her diet soda kick when she tried to lose weight.

11. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Screw that stuff. I always drink the proper Red Bull with all the sugar in it, lol. I have to have at least one in the morning or I am a zombie.

12. superstring01 Moderator

Ahhhh. . . Red Bull. I love the stuff.

LOVE. THE. STUFF.

It's reminiscent of my. . . ah. . . more adventurous days filled with controlled substances.

Every now and then I'll get myself a Red Bull and sip it with joy.

~String

13. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Yay *high five*

14. sifreak21 Valued Senior Member

well after they buy that supersized double quarterpounder with cheses and frys they want the diet pop they dont want there cal. intake to be too hich come on string u know that

15. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I've never had a Red Bull, do they taste good or do you just drink them for the high?

16. superstring01 Moderator

If I could find a caffeine/stimulant fee one, with the same flavor, I'd drink it all day long.

~String

17. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

Not to be the downer at a party, ah, nevermind yah I am, but by drinking any of those carbonated beverages you're indirectly advocating slavery, destruction of rainforests and wholesale torture and slaughter of all our barnyard friends. This may seem like a gross exaggeration but the truth in this instance happens to be beyond most people's wildest dreams. Watch the movie "Food Inc." if you don't believe me.

Oh and they make you fat and bipolar.

18. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Nonsense, they keep my body thin and my mind awake.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But I'll admit they have done a number on my teeth.

19. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Well, it's the best tatsting of the energy drinks but just too damn sweet for me, not to mention lock jaw tart.

I think diet sodas are addictive as hell for some reason, worse than regular. Before I didnt like them, and a friend said once youre hooked, youre hooked (diet coke specifically)
    I'll be damned if he wasn't right.

Oh and I'm probably underweight if anything.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm drinking a diet Dr. Pepper right now! I try not to consume much sugar. The caffiene does get to me, but I'm trying to build up my tolerance again after abstaining for a year or so.

21. superstring01 Moderator

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, I think they taste better.

23. WillNever Valued Senior Member

I drank soda only when I was a kid. After you take a break from it for a few months, you never want to go back. It gives your teeth a unpleasant texture until you brush again and the syrupy taste grosses you out.

The only thing I truly liked about soda was the carbonation. Therefore, I keep many, many 2L bottles of Seltzer in the fridge.