Did you burn ants?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by S.A.M., Aug 13, 2006.

?

Did you burn ants?

1. Yes I did it once

20.2%
  2. Yes I did it several times

34.0%
  3. No never

50.0%
  4. I'm male

53.2%
  5. I'm female

8.5%
  6. I'd rather not say

2.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Roman Banned Banned

Bugs are awesome. It's like playing with tiny robot.

I spent a lot of time in the tropics, both New and Old world growing up. I watched this guy fight off marauding fire ants (Old World equivalent of the army ant, except nocturnal and with fewer castes) with a makeshift flamethrower. That was pretty badass.

Once in Costa Rica I fed a small anolis lizard to a http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~vern/fletcher/SPID_1.GIF]nephila[/URL]. The spider bit it and wrapped it up, the little lizard turning black with bulging eyes.

Ants v ants were pretty cool, but I always like ants v termites more. Grab a log infested with termites and throw it on an ant mound. The ants would spill in every opening and carry off defenseless worker termites. Soldier termites would spill out, plugging holes with their needle-like heads aimed out, drops of white toxins entrapping any ants that got to close. The ants always won, though.

Ants v scorpions, also cool. The scorpion stings the hell out of them, while the ants try to grab its legs and string it out.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Genji Registered Senior Member

I see no need in engaging in needless cruelty. I do recall throwing grasshoppers into the air conditioner fanblade when I was young though.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

The only time I do anything to hurt bugs is when I can learn from it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. P. BOOM! Registered Senior Member

As I kid, I found there were better ways to play with ants. I used to put sugar water on the "frontier" between two ant colonies and watch them fight over the resource. The little ants would hold their own until the carpenter ants brought in a few big guards...then it was total carnage!

8. P. BOOM! Registered Senior Member

Probably should have read all the prior messages

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

i still do, one of my favourites is to get about 20-30 put them together then make a circle with flamable red sray around them and then woof

10. sderenzi Banned Banned

11. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I used to spend long boring summers at my grandmother's house when I was young. One of the things we (my younger brother and I) would do was get her magnifying glass, and spend the day burning stuff. The majority of the time, we burnt leaves and small sticks, but whenever we got bored with those, we would burn ants.
    I'm not sure what made it so much fun-- I guess it was the thrill of chasing around a little critter with this tiny dot of light, and making lazerbeam noises.

12. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Not ants, but I used to fuck up spiders when I was in my early teens. Don't know why I did it, I was probably just a little bored bastard with nothing better to do.

13. original sine Registered Senior Member

I would use fireworks to blow up the ants and their anthills. I would also stomp on their homes or ride my bike over them. I could have been anywhere from 12-16 years old. Now I use glass cleaner at work as "antammo" to cleanse them from our kitchen.

14. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

we have slug infestations so when im bored i grab a used syringe from the farm fill it up with salt water and inject it. or if there is no salt i use air and blow them up

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Eeew!

16. Roman Banned Banned

I've gotta admit, I've done the slug injections as well.

17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

18. Vega Banned Banned

I don't believe ant's should be cremated! :bugeye:

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I do believe Roman, there is very little that has passed you by.

20. Roman Banned Banned

What's that supposed to mean?

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Oops guess I was wrong!

22. Maast AF E-7 Retired Registered Senior Member

Good grief, this thread brings up many a fond summer memory

I remember that as soon as I was old enough to hold a magnifying glass I fried ants and all sorts of other bugs, the toughest bugs to kill were japanese beetles, damn things are the M1A Abrahms tanks of the bug world.

Had to fry off their legs to get them to hold still long enough to get through their armor

23. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

I used to spend hours watching ants. There used to be 5-6 types of them- large red, smaller red, large black, smaller black and formic acid ants. Each had their own ways of fighting. So a favourite pastime was to place a line of food leading to another ants' colony and initiate wars. And who won was of course was under my direction. While the red ones bit each other, the blacks always fleed with their eggs and queens and the formic acid ones sprayed acid.

Making holes in the soil next to an ant colony often led the ants to colonize the new underground passages, and of course assistance to ants to find bugs and worms was always appreciated by them. Sometimes pesticide formulation with soap, water, oil, kerosine was part of the game.

While all this was when I was in school, later education needed me to catch all kinds of insects, cyanide them and pin them for display.