Detention centres for illegal immigrants to Australia

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Adam, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Reasons for detaining illegal immigrants for bureaucratic processing:
    - Any one of them could intend harm to the citizens of Australia, for political, religious, psychological, or other reasons.
    - Any one of them could be carrying a disease not otherwise present in Australia, which could cause huge problems.
    - Any one of them could be a criminal.

Reasons against:
    - The little kids are unlikely to be criminals (but could still carry all sorts of diseases not otherwise present here).
    - This bureaucratic stuff takes far too long, the system does not work properly, so sometimes even those judged legal refugees stay far too long in detention.

A government website about this issue.

Australian border politics.

Anyone got anything to add?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

I never thought about diseases. The issue is never raised over here.

There must be a difference between people coming here for economic reasons and people coming for political reasons. The first onces must be sent back, the second can stay if the situation is bad enough.

This way of acting must be combined with much help to third world countries, so that economy over there can develop.

We can't keep economic refugees, cause it would drain our country in no time.

Yes, well this is a huge problem. Our prisons are full of immigrants. Maybe there should be a certain time, say three year, in which no crime may be comitted, without a removal from the country.

I think this is often true. Modernise the state, make it work the way private companies do to speed it up.

Be consequent. Don't let those who can't stay loose in the country. Bring them back by plane.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spookz Banned Banned

"Over the past few years the Australian government has promoted a climate of xenophobia and hostility towards refugees, asylum seekers and migrants. The next government has got to do a better job of protecting refugees."

"The Australian government tends to give the impression that it is being overrun by asylum seekers," said Roth. "In reality, Australia takes in a tiny proportion of the world's refugees."

Kenneth Roth Executive Director of Human Rights Watch

http://www.hrw.org/press/2001/11/australialetter.htm

http://www.hrw.org/press/2001/10/australia1031-ltr.htm

http://www.hrw.org/wr2k1/special/refugees2.html#australia

Last edited: Aug 11, 2002
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Squid Vicious Banned Banned

We also represent a tiny portion of the world's population here, Spookz, so a few thousand refugees have more of an impact on us than a million do to you. In addition, as i've said before... it is not the fact that they are here which is neccesarily the problem. The problem, to myself and most others I know, is that they come here illegally, circumventing immigration laws which are there for a reason, hoping to take an easy ride and bypass the system. A high proportion are probably not even true refugees, and come here with conveniently lost documentation and no way to check backgrounds. By not allowing us to prove true identities or backgrounds easily, they therefore cause suspicion right from the outset.

They pay sometimes ten times as much to come here illegally as they might do through normal channels.... why? Would you spend far more than you had to? What do they have to hide which prevents them from using normal channels?

8. spookz Banned Banned

squid

what would normal channels be for a refugee or asylum seeker?

is it fair to assume guilt before establishing that fact?

as to being a small population>

"In 2000, the ratio of refugees to total population was 1: 1,138 in Australia, 1: 681 in the United Kingdom, and 1: 456 in Germany. In contrast, much poorer countries such as Pakistan and Iran, hosted more than two million and 1.5 million Afghan refugees respectively, a ratio of 1: 75 and 1: 36 refugees to total population in each country. Some 135,000 Afghan refugees have entered Pakistan in the past two months alone. "

that said i respect your country and peoples right to formulate its own laws.

problems happen however when the laws clash with established international conventions

checkout the flak us catches for global warming, int court..

los angeles has a massive illegal immigrant population yet this city is an economic powerhouse in cali and i attribute this in part to immigrants .
    there are problems but none that cannot be handled with careful planning

dont you think you guys are kinda insular and maybe just a bit hicky?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Squid Vicious Banned Banned

Yeah, I think it is. These people have already shown a willingness to disregard the laws of the country they are illegally migrating to. Not only that, they then show a blatant lack of respect for both the facilities they are living in and use the media to suck people like you into feeling sorry for them. Nice folks, these.

Uh-huh... and Racial tension is rife in all of these countries to a higher extent than it is here. We merely report it better, because we speak out. The neo-nazi groups in Germany are growing. the English are going through simliar problems as us, but on a larger scale. Pakistan or Iran? god only knows whats happening there. You see, they're not allowed to talk much.

Besides that.. ratios dont mean much. You put one stranger in a group of ten people and he has quite a large influence. You put 1000 strangers in a group of 1,000,000 and suddenly the impact is not as large.

Nope... I think you don't know whats really happening here, beyond what the ... media... tell you.

10. spookz Banned Banned

"Nope... I think you don't know whats really happening here, beyond what the ... media... tell you"

ok then
    since my only sources of info are the media and other organizations, the fact that i dont have any australian friends and
    also, the ones i do have a discourse with on the internet do not care to enlighten me on whats really happening there, i guess i will have to live in ignorance

does "blatant lack of respect for the facilities" mean that they trash the place??

what would normal channels be for a refugee or asylum seeker?
    i know the answer to that one! (dont bother coming, there are no channels!)

here is more disinformation

http://www.wsws.org/articles/1999/jan1999/immi-j20.shtml

11. Squid Vicious Banned Banned

"does "blatant lack of respect for the facilities" mean that they trash the place??

"

Yes, thats exactly what it means... you just never hear about it.

"what would normal channels be for a refugee or asylum seeker?
    i know the answer to that one! (dont bother coming, there are no channels!)

"

Crap. Again, you display a lack of knowledge in this area.