Der Kommisar (1982 MTV Vid)

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Lord Hillyer, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Suh-weet. I just made an "after the fire" reference somewhere in another topic. Strange. I actually thought about this song.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Synchronicity. Somebody else was extolling the virtues of German rap over in the Arts Forum. I was going to get around to mentioning this granddaddy of German rap songs over there.

I remember it being a surprisingly primitive video, considering that that was the golden age of true music videos. But it was fascinating for being in a foreign language.

It had been a long time since a song in a foreign language got air play in the U.S. Probably "Dominique" by the Singing Nuns in the early 1960s. In the 1950s foreign language songs were common, there was often one in the Top 40: "Morgen," "Nel Blu Dipinto de Blu" ("Volare") "Chanson d'Amour," "Sukiyaki."

A year or two ago there was a big hit in Romanian from Moldova, "Dragostea din Tei" by the O-Zone, all over the Spanish language stations. But as far as I know it never broke into English language radio. http://www.catteacorner.com/dragosteadintei.htm

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Wow, I didn't realize Der Kommissar had a music video. The Falco version is so much better than the After the Fire version. My favorite Falco song, however, is Zuviel Hitze.

8. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

I agree. The After the Fire version is pants. Falco was child prodigy and classically-trained...and his superiority is evident.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

This should be moved to Arts and Culture. It will get a lot more action there.

10. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

Sorry, I didn't have time to watch the video. Youtube is great though, isn;t it?