Depression/Exercise

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Cactus Jack, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Allright I've read before on studies which show that exercise and overall fitness helps improve if not "cure" depression. As a matter of fact I've lived this, last summer all I did was work and exercise and during that half the summer was the only time in my life which I was as happy as my friends. Happiness was my base emotions, sure things would happen to piss you off for a little or something, but I'd always return to happiness - it was incredible.

Anyway, I was wondering what is the scientifice explanation for this (I.E. Chemicals being released)?

Thanx, ~Cactus

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

I've also heard of studies which claim exercise increases memory.

I imagine increases in memory and mood have to do primarily with the neurotransmitter nor-epinephrine, which is commonly known as adrenaline (which is obviously released when you exercise). Nor-epinephrine has been shown to be involved in memory and depression (along with other monomanergic neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sinecure71 Registered Senior Member

Chocolate also releases endorphins, and its easier than exercise

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

So, if what you're saying is true, then lots of the elderly are depressed?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I thought it was only psychological: that if you worked hard, it would take your mind of your own state, so it feels like you're not depressed. Ah well, there's always a scientific explanation behind it.

Sounds like some fancy word for "dope". lol

"Yes, I'll be taking my "marijuana-mine" now..."

8. Firefly Registered Senior Member

Does dopamine also cure depression, or is it just schizophrenia it helps to cure?

9. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

Ah ... neurotransmitters

I did a report about Seasonal Affective Disorder about a year back. Found out that those that exercised in the morning (exposed to sunlight) had a better resiliency when it came to depressive mood swings than to those that decided to exercise at night.

However, this was just one study and the studies are ongoing. Greenland, for example, is supposedly enshrouded in perpetual gloom yet the rate of depression is relatively low there. (Anyone know something I don't about Greenland's overall climate?)

On an aside, any idea on which state has the most consumption of Prozac? Good ol' Utah. Which happens to be predominantly ...

Thanks!

prag

10. Firefly Registered Senior Member

I exercise both mornings and nights, do I have resilience aginst depression? :bugeye:

11. Deena Homicide Registered Senior Member

I think I agree that it'd be mostly psychological. And that it'd have a lot to do with distraction.

But excersise probably also makes one feel productive (and pretty) which I'd say is a big factor in depression. Much like depressed people will find getting a job helpful (if they didn't have one, and a better one if they did) because they no longer feel useless or insignificant.

12. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Well, I used to be pretty depressed until about a year ago, I started exercising. And it worked, I feel great! It could have something to do with you looking better so you automatically feel better - but my body didnt start to change until 3 months after I took up exercising. But I automatically felt better about myself. Felt like I was doing something good for myself - and you get a rush after working out. Sometimes I would get a "high" if I really exerted myself.

Take care

13. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Exercise has been proven to improve self esteem.